Just Back from PoAm 7/1-7/8

jcsdirector

Just thought I'd post what we ended up doing exactly last week. We rented a van for the six of us in every port except Kona. We took our revealed books with us everywhere! There were fantastic for telling exactly what to see and how to get there (especially in Kaui).

Hilo-Spent the day at VNP. Bring flashlights to do the lava tubes. We spent lots of time stopping and looking. Stopped in at the orchid place to look, lots of varieties and it's free. Then went to Rainbow Falls. Gang was pooped so we headed back to ship. Show a great lava show that night as the ship went by!

Maui-Spent the day at Ka'anapoli Beach. Snorkeled at Black Rock, a little surgy at times but my son (12)and I are pretty novice snorkelers and we did it. Cool fish! That night did Drums of the Pacific at the Hyatt. Everyone enjoyed that a lot. Day 2 kids took a surf lesson I had booked privately and the guy was very good with them. They rode the waves numerous times. Spent the rest of the time in Lahaina--souvenior shopping and exploring, neat town.

Kona-Booked a snorkeling trip on our own and it was fantastic! Good crew, good food, kids enjoyed not only the snorkeling but the waterslide on the boat. A highlight of our trip. Spent the remainder of the time wandering in downtown Kona.

Kaui-drove all the way up to Kee Beach, stopped at all kinds of beaches a long the way. Had lunch in Hanalei and kids surfed in front of the hotel/Duke's at Nawilili, then dropped tired kids off and we continued to Poipu Beach for late aternoon/evening drive. Saw Spouting Horn (very cool). Vegged out second day and just souvenir shopped and explored a bit more.

Great ports! If I can answer any questions, let me know. I also posted a review of our overall cruise experience under cruise reviews. Don't expect great things regarding service or food. Beyond that, it was a great experience.

I am looking for more information on the Drums of Pacific Luau - would you mind providing just a bit more?:confused:

Was the food OK, the entertainment, what did you get for your money - lei, food, drink, etc.

Thank you for your review.:)

TNlovestocruise,

You don't have to worry about shoes melting. That only occurs right next to the red lava flows but that's about 6 hours roundtrip hiking plus about 3 hrs driving. Most of the national park can be done with your regular shoes just fine. Trust me, I live here and have been to the flows many times.

Archived