Underwater digital camera housing

• 2 weeks later...

Most housings are going to start at about $100. You really don't want something cheap that is going to leak. It does not take too much salt water to kill a digital camera.

I will say that I have not been happy with the FantASea housing that I bought. They also had very poor customer service.

I have an aquapac for my digital camara and love it' date=' I've never had a problem with leaking. http://www.aquapac.com, hope this helps. Laura[/quote']

An Aquapac might be OK for snorkeling if you stay on the surface, but I wouldn't count on being able to use one underwater. The pressure on the bag would increase rapidly as you went deeper and the pressure would push in on all the camera buttons at once.

• 5 weeks later...

I got my underwater housing off of ebay. If I had bought it off Olympus (that is the brand of camera I have) it would have been $250. I got a brand new one off ebay for $76.00. After I won the auction I got it in 3 days.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'd love to get a housing for my Nikon D70 but every time I see one that will work it costs almost as much as the camera. I guess Digital SLR isn't the way to go underwater.
Actually DSLR is the way to go for UW photography IF you are serious about diving and photography, but it is also a whole lot more work as it is very gear intensive.

A point and shoot Canon or Olympus in a factor housing is a much better way to go for the vast majority of casual UW photographers.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, let me start by saying, I know NOTHING about Cameras! haha...

Ok, so, I have a Canon coolpix 3700 digital camera. It was a gift for my birthday 2 years ago and it just occured to me that maybe I could use it for diving. So I went on the website mentioned above and took a look. Well, they have housing for it, but not ones that can go deep (the website said about 30ft I believe). I looked on ebay too and they have it listed and they said about 50 ft or so. Another one said 16ft.

Either way, no deep diving with this housing. What are the odds they will come out with new housing allowing it to go deeper? Or should I buy what they have now and just not use it for deep diving? Any suggestions or ideas?

Also, what depth should I trust the already available housing up to?

CVL105 I think that you probably have a Nikon which make the coolpix. Does it look like this:

25514_360.jpg

In any case, I wouldn't hold my breath that the company will make any additional housings for it. If you really want to scuba dive with that camera I think you will be limited to the shallow depth of that housing.

I think you will have to end up buying a new camera if you want a housing rated deep enough for scuba diving. Olympus makes housing for several of their cameras with depth rating of 130 ft. Same for Canon.

Yup, that's it! Thanks for the information. I think maybe I'll buy that housing now and save up for a new camera. I just graduated college this past may and am in my first "real" job, so I guess I can't put a new camera at the top of my priority list quite yet. Trying to save for a house!:eek:

Maybe my parents will let me borrow theirs?!:rolleyes:

Archived