Question about receptions on board.

msk68

We were quite surprised during our recent 5 day Independence Day cruise that there was not a single reception (at least that we were invited to). When we did a crossing, we were invited to 4 cocktail parties that week and here we were on day shorter and there were none. There was no Grill reception (we were in the P Grill), no WorldClub reception (at least to our knowledge) and no Platinum WorldClub reception (that my mother would have gone to, we're not there....yet). There also was not, at least to my knowledge, a QM reunion.

I didn't see an opportunity to meet the Captain other than hearing that he was at the Black and White Ball. I looked forward to these things and have been to many on previous cruises - was it because this was a specialty cruise, more family oriented?

TIA,

Morrie

We were quite surprised during our recent 5 day Independence Day cruise that there was not a single reception (at least that we were invited to).

Morrie - We did a five day QE2 cruise in May - There were separate Captains Receptions for Grill and Caronia passengers on one night, a combined early/late sitting for Mauretania passengers on another night, a WC party one evening and that was it. No Platinum parties, no Wardroom party and no (as far as I'm aware) Captain's personal party. I think that it's just a sign that Cunard are cutting back:(

I think that it's just a sign that Cunard are cutting back:(

Or that there is not as much time for these things on a Cruise (18.00 departures, navigating out of ports through busy shipping lanes etc etc) as there is on a crossing?

Peter

No time on a cruise? Nonsense! "They" can do whatever they want.

I was on.

One Tea, a group I fell in with was most upset there would be no giving-out-the-pins ceremony this voyage. One went to the Purser and asked why, was told this was "a party cruise" and on such there were never -- or, never now -- World Club or Captain's or awards receptions. Also said the trip was listed in the catalog as a "sampler." What does this explain?

Check it out -- I think any time on under, what, five, four, days, does not now count toward Days On Board. I have done some three-day trips, they were never counted.

Your May trip, pnhmrk, seems par. Why your five day and not this? Cunard does have mystery! While I like this Board, when I want answers to questions I ask Cunard. And you know how the answers can vary, even there. But check it out.

Coming over from Southampton 27 June all was as usual and expoected. A quiet Crossing.

The Cruise. another Tea, after Halifax, a group I did not fall in with distinguished itself by one woman snapping her fingers to get the attention of a waitress NOW! A man at the table clanged on a plate with a spoon!

It was that kind of load in some quarters!

I look forward to many receptions or no receptions when on for the 02 September "sampler/party" no-frills return to Halifax. :)

Captain's receptions (you would nomally expect to have at least a welcome one) are held to create a "feel good" among the passengers. And with the amount of free fizz around I would say that they normally do. They almost certainly recover the cost in re bookings.

It does seem short sighted of them to not have a single one on a 5 day cruise.

David.

It does seem short sighted of them to not have a single one on a 5 day cruise. David.

David,

I agree - I just think there may be more to it than the pavlovian 'Cunard are cutting back'. I wonder who the Captain was?

Peter

It does seem short sighted of them to not have a single one on a 5 day cruise.

In May Grill and Caronia passengers had their normal receptions. Mauretania were all lumped together in one big jamboree midway between the two seatings. As, I suspect, Mauretania was mainly first time cruisers on the QE2 it does seem incredibly short sighted, not that they didn't have the normal party, but that most passengers would have had to either miss dinner or miss their free fizzy wine.

miss their free fizzy wine.

That's one benefit!

Seriously though, as I understand only 5 day or longer trips "count" towards CWC membership. There is, as has been said, a limit to what can be physically done within the time - especially as people don't (presumably) like being addressed by the Staff Captain if the Captain is on the bridge.

I'd have thought the photo sales would make it worthwhile - if they are possible.

Cunard are cutting down, but I'm not sure that this is evidence of it.

Well, I'm writing to them as is my travel agent. She is checking into it as well. for the prices they charge, there ought to at least have been something for platinum WC'ers IMO.

I guess I won't plan to go on any more 'party cruises' - NMS - I like old style cruising which is what I thought I was going to get on Cunard.

Captain Rynd had the ship.

I watched him cross seven-deck the Friday; no one seemed to know who he was.

Obviously a Captain's reception would have given him a face.

He had my QE2 03 January Crossing this year. Then, and this time, the buzz from the crew on him seemed quite good.

Captain Rynd had the ship.

He was our captain last Christmas on the QE2 - we had all the normal parties then.

The buzz from the crew on him seemed quite good.

I don't know if it's down to Captains or not but the service was nothing like as good when Capt Rynd was at the helm as it was when Capt Perkins was there.

I don't know if it's down to Captains or not but the service was nothing like as good when Capt Rynd was at the helm as it was when Capt Perkins was there.

Ultimately, yes, but in the near term, I suspect its much more to do with the Hotel Director & the Cruise Director. I was impressed with Captain Rynd - no nonsense there - and the most extensive crew drills on any Cunarder I've seen. When was Captain Perkins onboard?

Peter

He was also onboard for the "Land of the Midnight Sun" Cruise which departed 6/16 and ended 6/30/06.

Karen

Captain Perkins comes with full Kindlychap recommendation. Nice Guy. I was on the "Land of the Midnight Sun" from 16/6/06 too.

Ultimately, yes, but in the near term, I suspect its much more to do with the Hotel Director & the Cruise Director. I was impressed with Captain Rynd - no nonsense there - and the most extensive crew drills on any Cunarder I've seen. When was Captain Perkins onboard?

Peter

I was also impressed with Captain Rynd (Canadian Crossing - Sept 2005) as he was often to be seen walking around the ship chatting to passengers and crew (similar to Captain Bates). Also remember the day I was having an early morning swim and he broadcast a short message on the tannoy to all public areas alerting us to a school of whales a short distance away off the port bow. Could only fault him on his abandoning the midday sounding of the horn and replacing it with a slightly wobbly recording of a ships bell.

Captain Perkins? Oh yes, he runs a very safe ship.........:rolleyes:

Ooops, just realised that my response, given the original subject of this thread, was going way off-topic. Sorry chaps. Oh well, any old excuse to talk QE2 Captains.........

Archived