Trip to Iguazu from BA

Keenacat

I'm planning an overnight trip to Iguazu to view the falls as part of a 4 or 5 day pre-cruise visit to BA in 2007. I have two preferred options: 1) when first arriving in BA transfer to the domestic airport and fly directly to Iguazu without checking in to a BA hotel and then return to BA and tour city for remaineder of pre-cruise stay; OR 2) tour BA city and surroundings first and then fly to Iguazu for the last two days and when returning to BA go directly from domestic airport to cruise ship.

However, baggage weight limit on domestic (Aerolineas Argentinas) is considerably less than for international flights. (Based on passed experience I know dear wife will be struggling to keep weight under international limit!) I can envision just taking an overnight bag to Iguazu with just the essentials for the overnighter but what do I do with the rest of the bags? Don't really want to lug a lot of bags to Iguazu in any event.

I would appreciate comments from anyone who has dealt with this issue.

Hi,we are on the SA cruise on Jan28th and I have just completed my arrangements for the same trip.I have chosen to spend one night only at the Falls which I am told will give me enough time to see both the Argentinian and Brzilian sides.I too was wondering about hotels and luggage,however it seems that the hotels will keep your main luggage while you do your trip.I imagined I would be paying for 2 hotel rooms for the same night,one in BA and one at the Falls but this is not the case.I think there must be some agreement with the Tourist Board and the hotels regarding visitors visiting the Falls and staying in BA I almost get the impression that they must keep your luggage.My arrangements are to stay in BA for one night go to the Falls the second day ,returning the next evening and then spend two more nights in the BA hotel.All my arrangements have been done by Defrantur and I must say they have been excellent.I have only had to send money for the flight and hotel at the Falls all the other excursions are to paid once in BA.,and the same company are transferring us from ship to hotel,city tour,Tango Show and dinner,and finally transferring us to the airport.Hope this helps.

Dileep,

Thank you so much for the video of your SA cruise.I downloaded it and I must say you have done an excellent job,we thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

Please could you give me some advice on your Punta Tombo trip and the name of the tour company you used.Did you call in the Welsh Village on the way back?We usually do private tours but my DH is a bit apprehensive about this one because of the distance,I think he feels that if the transport broke down we would be stranded in Punta Tombo for eternity!!It is a thought however that if a breakdown occurred however would you get back to the ship in time.Perhaps you can reassure me.

mgwardle wrote: " ...All my arrangements have been done by Defrantur and I must say they have been excellent.I have only had to send money for the flight and hotel at the Falls all the other excursions are to paid once in BA.,and the same company are transferring us from ship to hotel,city tour,Tango Show and dinner,and finally transferring us to the airport.Hope this helps."

Thank you for the information. I may reconsider which days we go to Iguazu. I was not in favor of leaving the trip to Iguazu for the last 2 days of our stay in BA and therefore flying back on the day the cruise leaves. What if there are flight delays/cancellations du to weather, mechanical problems, etc. I know there are 5 flights per day returning from Iguazu to BA but if an early afternoon flight is cancelled for some reason I can see a problem with all those passengers tring to get rebooked on the remaining flights in order to make it to the cruise ships on time.

With respect to Defrantur, may I ask how they require you to send money for the flight and hotel reservation?

I've been having the same dilemma as OP's choices for our upcoming Dec cruise. I finally decided on 2 nights in B.A., then one in Iguazu, mainly because I wanted to avoid the uncertainty with the transfer between international and domestic airports.

I tried Defrantur, but did not receive a reply (I know, he may be on vacation), so I researched online through Sheraton and Aerolineas Argentinas. Are there any gotchas I should worry about if I book these myself?

The prices didn't seem out of line with what Dileep mentioned in one of his original notes.

Keena cat.

Defrantur gave me 3 options how to pay bank:

Bank to Bank transfer in US dollars

Bank to Bank transfer in Euros

Western Union .com

I live in the UK so I chose transfer in Euros as the bank they wanted the money paid into was a Spanish bank.I also found the bank charges were cheaper than the charges from Western Union,I was even faxed a copy of the air tickets to Igauzu with both my husbands and my name on.

The person in charge is called Ricardo and he answered all my emails promptly,his email address is defrantur@fibertel.com.ar

If you read through the South America forum there are several people who have used their services so I feel quite comfortable about everything.

Keena cat.

Defrantur gave me 3 options how to pay bank:

Bank to Bank transfer in US dollars

Bank to Bank transfer in Euros

Western Union .com

I live in the UK so I chose transfer in Euros as the bank they wanted the money paid into was a Spanish bank.I also found the bank charges were cheaper than the charges from Western Union,I was even faxed a copy of the air tickets to Igauzu with both my husbands and my name on.

The person in charge is called Ricardo and he answered all my emails promptly,his email address is defrantur@fibertel.com.ar

If you read through the South America forum there are several people who have used their services so I feel quite comfortable about everything.

Thank you for the quick response. I will contact defrantur with my suggestion for an itinerary and see what alternatives or suggestions Ricardo can offer. Also with regard to storing most our luggage in BA during our side trip to Iguazu.

Dileep,

Thank you so much for the video of your SA cruise.I downloaded it and I must say you have done an excellent job,we thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

Please could you give me some advice on your Punta Tombo trip and the name of the tour company you used.Did you call in the Welsh Village on the way back?We usually do private tours but my DH is a bit apprehensive about this one because of the distance,I think he feels that if the transport broke down we would be stranded in Punta Tombo for eternity!!It is a thought however that if a breakdown occurred however would you get back to the ship in time.Perhaps you can reassure me.

There are enough private operators who would help each other out in case of a breakdown. Look through my postings for the tour operator we used. they were excellent! We did the museum, but the Welsh town would have been a better choice.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=5782916&postcount=53

Thank you very much for the info.I have now contacted the tour operators you used.Did they take long to reply to your emails?

Most were prompt. I did not make my contacts unitl August or September.

Archived