Sea Miles Complaint

matt082600

I am writing this to express my disappointment in the Sea Miles program I participate in through a MasterCard which Juniper Bank services. I have been trying to book a cruise for nearly a month now (4 day to Halifax out of N.Y. on the Victory) My June sea miles were not posted on the website and I called customer service to inquire. Historically, miles are posted each month around the 15th of the month. I was waiting for this posting of miles because I believe it would put me over the 25,000 mile mark and thus I would receive an additional $125. credit off my cruise. Customer service continually gave me excuses as to why the sea miles were not posted. Finally, last night (with less than a month before the sailing date), I booked my cruise as I was afraid if I waited much longer the ship would be sold out. The latest excuse given to me is that they are having computer problems and that is why the miles have not posted.

My suggested solution to the customer service rep was to allow me to take my credit post booking when the miles are finally credited to my account (obviously only if I did in fact get over the 25,000 mile mark) They refused to do this. I asked to speak with a supervisor and supposedly none was available. I intend to write a letter to both the Sea Miles program folks as well as Juniper Bank.

I know many of you are thinking that this is petty and it very well may be. The $125 is not going to make or break me financially, it is just the principal of the matter. I use the card specifically to accumulate points and it frustrates me that they are unwilling to give me the points I have earned.

If anyone else is having similar problems with the Sea Miles program please contact me as I would not mind sharing my letter with you to send as well, or simply adding your name to the letter I am sending as an unsatisfied customer (only with your permission of course!) My email is Matt082600@aol.com.

I feel your frustration with Sea Miles... I only had to have 10000 to get my $125 discount, however they charged me $101 to book the trip... so my discount actually was only a wopping $24.00 total for both us.... What's the point? I believe their prices were just a little higher than the discount brokers on the internet...so I am sure I lost money on that deal.... Then I was suppose to get triple points by using my card to secure the cruise, I only got double points... I called them about the points and they said they would get it adjusted... I am awaiting my next statement to see if they actually did. Then after all of this, there was a drop in the price of my cruise so I called them and asked them to try to get me some onboard credit and they said they could not do it because I was already in the penalty phase of the cruise and no changes could be made...I wasn't asking for a change.. only onboard credit ...I think was a bunch of bull....my guess is it would have cut into the commission they would be paid and they didn't want to do that.... I don't believe I will ever have enough points to get a free cruise (or at least I hope I don't) and I don't plan to utilize sea mile to secure a cruise in the future, unless of course they give me a free cruise ... which I don't believe they would even if I earned it.... Service was not that good.... I will send you an e-mail with my name and you're welcome to use my story if you want...

I have been using an air miles card instead. The discount cruise prices are pretty low, so not sure what the value of those miles would be.

Air miles can be hard to use sometimes, but they can be a good deal for upgrading to busiiness class after you buy a coach ticket. Plus, they give you options for low-cost last-minute travel.

They have not posted our 4,000 June points either. I got the same song and dance about a "computer glitch". These will as well put us over the required number of points our family needs to cruise. As soon as I get the points posted and book the cruise....we are cancelling the card.

Sea Miles worked out fine for our March 07 cruise. $500 off for 50,000 miles. Their price was to the penny as Carnivals. I was not charged a booking fee that I know of. I have the invoice that states Price paid less miles credit, deposit and then balance due. No problem here as of now. I will post latter if one arises.

Sea Miles worked out fine for our March 07 cruise. $500 off for 50,000 miles. Their price was to the penny as Carnivals. I was not charged a booking fee that I know of. I have the invoice that states Price paid less miles credit, deposit and then balance due. No problem here as of now. I will post latter if one arises.

Those of us who have been "with the program" from the very beginning are just disappointed, as we have seen our benefits really decline with this Juniper program. It used to only cost 10,000 points to save some serious money. For those who have just signed on, you don't miss what you never had. And when inept service is added to the insult, it is time to move on. According to the last email I have from "Sea Miles", points are suppose to be added 3 -5 business days after the closing date of your statement. Our closing statement was June 8th, this is July 10th and the points still have not been added. We have been a customer since day 1 !

Sadly, this is the rule with them...not the exception. It did not really matter before now, because we had not reached a plateau where we could use our points. But now that we want to use them and can not...it is frustrating.

I noticed while looking at my account online yesterday that they had raised my intrest rate from 13.99% to 14.24%. I dont understand why because I have never had a late payment, in fact I pay towards the card every two weeks online. I decided to just cut the card up....its definitely not worth it to me as my other cards have much lower intrest rates.

I just booked a discount of $500 through seamiles. There was no booking fee and the price was to the penny of what was on the RCCL website -500$. My rep David was wonderful and even was able to get us an upgrade. He emailed right away with my invoice and all info. I was also told by David that any price decreases would be applied right up to time of sailing! I am not sure why the discrepency in the responses the only thing is maybe that is a Carnival rule and not Seamiles. I am booked on a RCCL cruise with the discount.

My points are available online right through this month.

Sue

Ditto on my June miles not being posted. If they would have been posted, I would have passed the 25,000 point barrier and would have been able to save $250 on the cruise that I am still waiting to reserve.

Very mixed feelings about the program.

Will probably use up my points as soon as possible and go to another credit card program that is not as frustrating to use.

Our sea miles have been consistantly updated between the 25th and 27th of every month since we had the card.

We have never had any problems getting our sea miles, we havn't used any yet, but i have read on these boards that you can call and get a better deal ( more comparable with the online compenies) then booking online.

I just checked (as I do daily) and they just posted the 816 miles for July (we stopped using the card) but still have not posted the 4,000 for June.

Of course, the 816 did not put us "over the top" so we could use the points. Coincidence??? Who knows. As soon as we get the points we are using them and canceling the card.

I think that you got a grip with the wrong company, I think that Juniper Bank is the one that is suppose to submit those points over to SeaMiles.

All of my monthly points have been posted, I keep tabs on them because mine are pretty high. So far SeaMiles Customer Service and my experience with them when I booked my Valor Cruise has been outstanding. I will be booking my Free 7 day 2008 cruise with them again.

Fred

I feel your frustration with Sea Miles... I only had to have 10000 to get my $125 discount, however they charged me $101 to book the trip... so my discount actually was only a wopping $24.00 total for both us.... What's the point? I believe their prices were just a little higher than the discount brokers on the internet...so I am sure I lost money on that deal.... Then I was suppose to get triple points by using my card to secure the cruise, I only got double points... I called them about the points and they said they would get it adjusted... I am awaiting my next statement to see if they actually did. Then after all of this, there was a drop in the price of my cruise so I called them and asked them to try to get me some onboard credit and they said they could not do it because I was already in the penalty phase of the cruise and no changes could be made...I wasn't asking for a change.. only onboard credit ...I think was a bunch of bull....my guess is it would have cut into the commission they would be paid and they didn't want to do that.... I don't believe I will ever have enough points to get a free cruise (or at least I hope I don't) and I don't plan to utilize sea mile to secure a cruise in the future, unless of course they give me a free cruise ... which I don't believe they would even if I earned it.... Service was not that good.... I will send you an e-mail with my name and you're welcome to use my story if you want...

Please forgive me everyone as I stated something that was incorrect on my original post.. :o I was at work and didn't have my actual receipt with me... and I was working off memory.:eek: After I got home, I looked at my receipt again and I was not charged a booking fee... The fee was subtracted out from the charge that I paid Carnival and I didn't notice the difference.. Please forgive me ...:o I am terribly sorry if I have misguided anyone with my memory laps...

So I guess my only gripe is that I was suppose to receive triple points which they are apparently working on this after I called it to their attention and that they would not give me the onboard credit when the price dropped...which I'm not too upset about it since I will still be on a great cruise :) and I agreed to the price in the first place which before the discount was a little higher than the discount brokers at the time of booking... I am not sure how it compared at the time with Carnival directly...

Sorry again!

I just booked a discount of $500 through seamiles. There was no booking fee and the price was to the penny of what was on the RCCL website -500$. My rep David was wonderful and even was able to get us an upgrade. He emailed right away with my invoice and all info. I was also told by David that any price decreases would be applied right up to time of sailing! I am not sure why the discrepency in the responses the only thing is maybe that is a Carnival rule and not Seamiles. I am booked on a RCCL cruise with the discount.

My points are available online right through this month.

Sue

So you can use seamiles on cruiselines other than Carnival??

So you can use seamiles on cruiselines other than Carnival??

Yes you can and the price was what was listed on RCCL's website -$500 to the penny. Now saying that, I have not sailed RCCL yet though my next two cruises are booked with them. So I don't know if it would be cheaper with the C & A benefit discounts, platinum, diamond etc.

You have to book directly through Seamiles so I do not know how they handle the past guest issues. For me it worked out great and I get to go to Bermuda and try the Explorer of the Seas.

Sue

I just checked my points, and saw that they were posted today.

I had called a few days ago because I noticed May points had not been posted

yet, and I also got the "computer glitch message."

Now, to double check and see that I got my extra miles for booking a cruise.

Also...for the question about the rates...I think this card is like many, and your rate is based on the Fed rate. It adjusts up and down with the Fed. This is pretty common with cards.

I just checked my points, and saw that they were posted today.

I had called a few days ago because I noticed May points had not been posted

yet, and I also got the "computer glitch message."

Now, to double check and see that I got my extra miles for booking a cruise.

Also...for the question about the rates...I think this card is like many, and your rate is based on the Fed rate. It adjusts up and down with the Fed. This is pretty common with cards.

Maybe there is hope for mine then. I will check again tomorrow. I believe you right about the interest rate, but don't quote me...we pay ours off every month in full...so I don't pay attention to the interest rate since we don't ever pay any interest.

My parents have the seamiles card and they are no longer using it because the changes that have been made to the program. They have tons of points and last year they received a balcony for around $800 for the both of them because they got $1000 off their cruise. This year on the other hand they only got $100 dollars off their cruise because they have changed the program around so much. They recieved the past guest rate so they told them they could not get as much off this year. Not only did they not recieve that much of a discount they have totally screwed up our accounts for our cruise this year. Becuase there is 14 of us traveling, my parents booked 2 cruises on there cards and now they have all our totals messed up and they even have someone booked with us that we don't even know and one of our guests isn't even booked with us. I myself got the card last year on the ship thinking it was a great program and now I am considering stop using my card.

Please forgive me everyone as I stated something that was incorrect on my original post.. :o I was at work and didn't have my actual receipt with me... and I was working off memory.:eek: After I got home, I looked at my receipt again and I was not charged a booking fee... The fee was subtracted out from the charge that I paid Carnival and I didn't notice the difference.. Please forgive me ...:o I am terribly sorry if I have misguided anyone with my memory laps...

So I guess my only gripe is that I was suppose to receive triple points which they are apparently working on this after I called it to their attention and that they would not give me the onboard credit when the price dropped...which I'm not too upset about it since I will still be on a great cruise :) and I agreed to the price in the first place which before the discount was a little higher than the discount brokers at the time of booking... I am not sure how it compared at the time with Carnival directly...

Sorry again!

No problem. Glad you were not charged that extra fee. Thanks for letting us know.

"still waiting for my June points"

I too am waiting for my June points. What's taking so long?

"computer glitch" was what I was told...which must be true since it is affecting many folks.

But the good news is that Jupiter's "Executive Office" is going to contact me in 7 -10 days. (don't you feel better)

Archived