Kiluea sail by?

dogdoc2002

:confused: We're on the 7/22 sailing of POAm. On the main NCL board, someone asked about the POA sailing north around the island and not south, so I checked the POAm iternary on NCL's website. Sure enough, the map of the itinary shows it going from Hilo north to Kahului, and the text below now omits the scenic sailby. When we originally booked, and when we got our documents a few weeks ago, they listed the sail by.

Does anyone know if they're skipping this, and if so, why? I have to admit, this is one of the reaons we chose a cruise over island hopping on our own, and if it is cancelled, we're going be really dissapointed. :(

Thanks!

Dogdoc2002

Make sure and call NCL to verify your itinerary. We were on the June 3-10 sailing of PoAm and I believe the following was our route: We started out in Hilo, headed south to see the lava flow (starboard side facing lava flow), then did a 180 degree turn (port side now facing lava flow) and then headed back north to dock in Kahalui the next morning. I may be wrong, but I really believe this is the route we took.

I saw the same itinerary on our January, 2006 Pride of Aloha cruise. I wrote NCL an email requesting the reason for the change and they assured me that unless there was inclement weather preventing the viewing or the eruption pattern had ceased, there would be a sail by.

I was lead to believe that the only reason the present itinerary didn't show the volcano sail by or the viewing of the Na Pali coast while on Kauai was that IF the cruise could not proceed due to the weather or other unforseen conditions, NCL would not be liable for not fulfilling their advertising.

They assured me they will make every effort to continue the scenic cruising of the Na Pali Coast and the Volcano.

Hope this helps.

Aloha

Don

Just FYI....all three POA ships did cruise to the volcano viewing this week. I can see them from my house...and I made sure to check this week to make sure each one came by!!!

Archived