What are best restaurants in Skagway, Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Ketchikan

Phishface

My husband and I are cruising next month and stopping in Skagway, Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Ketchikan. What are the best restaurants? We like lots of types of food, but some specifics are seafood, american, french, hamburger places, places with fun atmosphere and we usually don't like family style restaurants. Are there any "can't miss" spots?

We only ate a few places off the ship, but one day for lunch we ate at a fish and chips shack right on the pier in Ketchikan. You just ordered and ate on picnic tables on the pier. It was fun to people watch, and the food was excellent. The fish was fresh caught and you got a ton. We both ordered smalls and still couldn't eat it all. However, the best was the clam chowder. It was probably some of the best I have ever eaten! Maybe this isn't what you were thinking of, but I can say I would certainly eat there again.

Dusty

i live here and i can say we have a little bit of everything.

annabells has the best canery bread! their cinamon rolls are to die for.

i dont know much about steamers but i heard it is ok. there is the pioneer cafe that is dinner type stuff but good food. cape fox has the best dips, desserts, salads etc.

the one place is good too. there is a sushi place but i have not been there yet.

anywhere you eat you will have good food. i hope i helped.

We asked the workers at the visitor's center in Skagway, and they said that the best fish and chips were at the Skagway Fish Company - they were right! If you like fish and chips, and good beer, definitely check that place out.

Twisted Fish in Juneau... right at the dock. Great king crab legs and ice cold beer. Very good service too. We saw our Cruise Director eating there so we figured it must be good... and it was.

My spouse and I will be flying to JNU next weekend. (I am a member of the Flyertalk community where I originally learned about this site!!! :) :) :) ) Another Flyertalker, a local, has invited us to the Twisted Fish.

It's so nice to see the great reviews here. It just reinforces my belief in our family community!

I'm glad to be a newbie member of the cruisecritic family. :D

The Halibut Shack on the dock gets my vote. Ocean View is also a good all around resturant. Cape Fox is okay, I think the food is overpriced. The Pioneer Cafe if you want to eat with some of the more colorful locals. I tried Chico's once until I noticed they had an insect problem.

A question about the King Crab- I understand that Alaskan King Crab is frozen and rarely served fresh due to commercial licensing. So, is the yummy flavor from the cooking method or somehow better in Alaska (though I don't know why, if they ship the same frozen legs all over the world). Is it just something to enjoy since you're there, less expensive, or goes well with the Alaskan scenery?

• 8 years later...
Try V's Cellar Door on Seward street. It is easy walking distance and has a fantastic menu where the flavors just pop - a Mexican base with flavors infused from Korean spices - sooo amazing! Nice ambiance and great prices too. Owner is really friendly and service was great!

Considering you are resurrecting food threads from years ago (2007) and putting the same comment on each, I am wondering if you are the owner of V's Cellar door :D