Cruising with a disabled teenager -- Carnival or RCL questions

Hi,

I just came back from my first cruise (without my daughter, who is in a wheelchair), on the Carnival Glory, and I was disappointed to see that the pools and hot tubs were inaccessible. I would really like to take her and her friend, who is also in a chair, on a cruise, but seeing that gave me pause. I've heard good things about RCL, and was thinking about the Enchantment. Can anyone tell me about wheelchair accessibility on this ship, or any other RCL or Carnival? Also, has anyone with a disabled child enrolled them in camp? How were they accomodated? My daughter will be 14 when I am planning to go. Thanks!

Enchantment is one of RCCL's "older" ships and probably doesn't have a lift for the pool. Voyager of the Seas does have a lift for the pool but not the hot tubs. It has to be operated by RCCL staff and unfortunately doesn't always work. I don't have any teenage children but I'm sure others on this board will be able to help with the camp.

The first question I have is she self suffient with her wheelchair or does she rquire someone to help her? Has she an in-line cathitor? They will not provide a lot of aid but will help a bit for washroom etc. Does she get easily upset by kids asking her why she is in the chair? You can also phone RCCL Special Needs dept and ask them about it too. Ensure that you get a H/C cabin for three people. We had one on Navigator. I have MS. The pool life wasn't working but the staff were sure having fun with it at 2am one morning. When I asked if it was working the next day the guy (who was not there at 2am said that it was still broken. I told him about the pool party and he said it would check into it. Never got back to me.

She is actually very self sufficient, and just needs assist in transferring to the toilet when at camp. She's been in able-bodied camps her whole life and is very open about her disability and is happy to explain. She gets that question all the time! I think the thing I worry about is the accessibility to the pool and accessibility in port. She is too big for me to lift in and out of the chair and has no ability to stand. I would hate for her to sit out on a hot deck with nothing to do!

Enchantment since it's stretch has a lift for the hot tub!! And the rooms are all very accesable. I wouldn't say because it is older than a Voyager class that it is less accessable. I travel with my partner who has MS and is in a wheel chair. As I do all the lifting and positioning I understand exactly what you may need on a ship. The only ships that are less manageable are the Sovereign class ships. You really have to plan your way around the ship as restrooms are not plentifull for those in wheel chairs outside your cabin. Don't get me wrong they have a few just not where you want them when you need them. Other feature of RCCL is on it's private islands. The tenders pull right up to the ship and you wheel right on and right of with ease. They have beach buggies that are great for going over sand and into the water. Restrooms on these locations are not the best but are available for handicap.

Hope this helps!

Archived