Do I need an passport and other questions

DH and I are thinking about cruising on the Inspiration 5 day cruise at the end of August. It's sailing to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. The last time we cruised was in 2002. Been trying to get back ever since. Do we now need a passport or is our birth certificate and driver's license still good? If we do need a passport, how long will it take us to get one? Also, how much are the soda cards for a 5 day cruise? Thanks everyone.

Guest YesitDonna

Soda cards are $5.50 per day for an adult. So just figure how many days your cruise is for and you're good.

There were nine people in our group. Half had passports and half didn't. While it did not make too much difference, those of us with passports breezed through the lines while the others had to actually stop to show papers. It is all up to you.

You will love the 5 night Inspiration! The ports are really fun. You won't need a passport now. As for the soda card I think mine on the Inspiration last year was $27.50. You have to drink around 5-6 sodas a day to make it worth it. I bought one on the cruise last year and made sure I got my money worth.

You probably will not have time to get your passport before you cruise, but I would apply now or when you return. Passports will be required December 31st, 2006. Until then BC and DL are fine. Let us know how you liked the Inspiration, thinking about booking her for September.

Jess

You won't have enough time to get the passport before the end of August, but get it now anyway. There's going to be a huge rush at the end of the year (and after) when everyone will need them, which will cause a huge backlog & delay. We got ours at the beginning of this year & I'm glad we did. Now we're all set for the next 10 yrs!

Sha

DH and I are thinking about cruising on the Inspiration 5 day cruise at the end of August. It's sailing to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. The last time we cruised was in 2002. Been trying to get back ever since. Do we now need a passport or is our birth certificate and driver's license still good? If we do need a passport, how long will it take us to get one? Also, how much are the soda cards for a 5 day cruise? Thanks everyone.

You can still get a passport (even this late) you will have to go to the post office and specify that you need your Passport right away and to rush. In 2001 I won a trip (on a radio station) to Jamaica and the flight was leave in 3 weeks and I needed a passport (which I didn't have). It took 2 weeks (and a lot of praying) but I got it. :D

Hope I helped

:( sorry to inform you but I just checked the passport website and you will need a passport starting Jan. 1 of 2007. There is a change but it isn't for this type of travel. So I would get your passport ASAP In fact they said if you don't get it in by Oct. 1st don't plan on having it by Jan.1st.

The Senate has moved the date but the House has not approved it, My TA said do not delay on this, because when all is said and done it will take alot longer then doing it now, the estimated time of return passport to you is 6 to 8 weeks, and you do have to send in your original BC with the paperwork, so if you are planning a trip in the next 6 to 8 weeks get an extra certified copy of your BC just to be safe.

Passports will not be needed at year end any longer. The Senate moved the manadtory date back until June 2009.

The Senate has not moved the mandatory date back to 2009. A Senate committee has added a move back of the final implementation date to a Senate appropriations bill, that has not made it out of the Senate yet. Once it does, it still has to pass the House and be signed by the President. Even then, if the measure remains on the bill (possible but not probable), the only date that would definitely change would be the final deadline - which is for land travel. There is no guarantee that the deadline for passports for arrival by sea will change.

Passports are running about 3 weeks - I have had several friends get them back quickly ... but always count on it taking longer.

And yes, it will be moved back to 2009 - there isn't a guarantee, but it is pretty certain.

Wait a second here folks.

First off there is probably not enough time to get the passport before op leaves on the cruise. Wait until after the cruise and get it then.

Don't take a chance right now. You have to submit your BC with the passport app. Unless you have 2 certified state issued copies of the BC then you need the BC to get on the ship.

Wait a second here folks.

First off there is probably not enough time to get the passport before op leaves on the cruise. Wait until after the cruise and get it then.

Don't take a chance right now. You have to submit your BC with the passport app. Unless you have 2 certified state issued copies of the BC then you need the BC to get on the ship.

There is time, but only if she pays to have it expedited. Like one of the posters above, I was able to get my passport in a little over a week. It cost about 100 dollars extra, though. (Was worth it since I had a free trip to London in the balance.)

Archived