Capri Ferry Operational?

We did Naples to Capri...and then Capri to Sorrento(by hydrofoil/ferry)...because if the water got rough,you could always return by train from Sorrento to Naples

It worked out well....took the train anyway...for a change.Great trip!!

Enjoy,

Sharon

the news reports late today say that the strike continues with no settlement in sight. those that have attempted to run the blockade set up by the ferry operators have been unable to land people. the local priest is attempting to mediate the strike on the premise that the livelihood of all the islanders is seriously and adversely affected because there are no tourists to fill the hotels, the stores and cafes and this is the beginning of the high tourist season. got this from the bbc tv news.

leoandhugh - thank you.....this is very informational, in other words, there is no telling whether we will be able to get over to Capri on the 31st, or not! I better come up with a back up plan. Do the Hydrofoils run from Naples to Sorrento?

the 31st is still a long way off in terms of strike settlement - keep in mind that the italians for years have gone on strike at the drop of a hat - the taxis, the trains, alitalia crews - it's a way of life over there. so keep in touch as best you can. there is a ferry - i don't know if it's a hydrofoil over to sorrento. go to europeportreviews.com and go to naples. lots of info, pictures and links

I too have heard of the strike , we were really looking forward to seeing Capri , i sure do hope they get it sorted soon ! We depart 27th July.

"swbmail " i hope you get to go , fingers crossed :)

I too have heard of the strike , we were really looking forward to seeing Capri , i sure do hope they get it sorted soon ! We depart 27th July.

"swbmail " i hope you get to go , fingers crossed :)

Xander..yes, fingers crossed!

• 1 month later...

We have been planning to go to Capri this time while in Naples (our 3rd cruise there) which will be at the end of September. I just read tonight on these boards about the ferry strike possibility. Does anyone have an update? Have there been actual strikes or are there still threats of a strike? Has it been resolved for the time being?

On another one of our cruises, there were passengers who missed the ship because of taking a train to Pisa and a train strike that started later in the day, stranding them in Pisa. We would love to go to Capri but don't want the possibility of missing the ship because of a strike midday.

Thanks!

We are back from our cruise and had a wonderful time in Capri....another strike didn't materialize...we took a jet boat/ferry around 9:30 am to Capri...stayed in the Marina area about half an hour, took the cable car up to Capri town, stayed there about 3/4 of an hour, took the bus up to Anacapri, stayed there about one hour, took the chair lift up to Mt. Solarno, stayed there about 1/2 hour, took the chair lift down, stayed in Anacapri for another little while and shopped, took the bus down to Capri town, stayed there and walked around, took the cable car down to the Marina area, walked around and got on the 3:30 boat back to Naples...had a wonderful day!

Thanks, sbwmail, for responding so quickly. We're going to have to watch the situation. We're hoping to meet a friend who will be on another Celebrity cruise ship in port in Naples on the same day that we are there on a different Celebrity ship.

It sounds like you had a lovely day there. We would like to hike up to Tiberius' (Roman) palace, Villa Jovis. I think we hike from Capri town to the palace/ruin. Did you heard anything about Villa Jovis, by chance?

We did not....but whatever you do there you will have a good time...just hope there is no heat wave going on...that was our only problem. And remember that you can't do everything, even on the Island, with limited time to get back to the ship without worrying.

I was just wondering if anyone has recenty been back from Naples to see if this problem has been resolved?? I will be going there in a month, and I am sure hoping to see Capri. I realize that these strikes happen often over there, but usually they are just "day" strikes. I hope the ferries are back on line by September:o

Thanks in advance for any info...

hylasgirl: Scroll down to post #10. Sbwmail's post said that while in Naples earlier this month, no strikes had materialized. I don't know if the problem is resolved yet though. We may still continue to be under the threat when we are there in September. I hope not too because we would really like to go to Capri.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived