Xcaret underground river????

cthrn27

Hello. I'm sooooo excited about my cruise! This board is full of good information and help. Thanks to all:D

How much "room" is there in the underground rivers? I'm a bit claustrophobic (okay in elevators, but sometimes stressful situations are uncomfortable:eek:). Does the underground part just refer to caves? Is there plenty of room to breathe? We did the cave tubing in Belize, is it like that????

thanks

Inspiration 8/5/2006.....ahhhhhh.

To me there is a big difference in the two. The river at Xcaret is a snorkeling/swim. It's fully enclosed in some places, some are clearly man made. If you look down while swimming you'll see some really deep places that are probably caves. It's also very cool/cold so be prepared for that.

• 2 weeks later...

We LOVED the underground river. Everyone says it's so cold, but it wasn't too cold when we were there. The ceilings of the enclosed parts were very high - maybe five to six feet above water at the very least. In some places, 20-25 feet above water, and, like mentioned above, in some places the cave ceilings are open to the sky. I think you will really enjoy it. Also, you wear floatation vests, so it's very relaxing. Have fun!

I was there in May and Joe is correct in his measurements, however, I found it kind of boring actually. About 10 of us did it and we thought there would be a current to take you around, but you actually have to swim to keep moving through the tunnels. We had our snorkel gear and thought we would see some nice sights, but none really. There were a few spots were there were a bunch of fish ( outside areas ) but this tour is not good for snorkeling. This is more of a leisurely swim tour. The dark areas and cave like tunnels are pretty neat. While looking down there are some caves that you can tell are VERY deep and go to a pitch black. I would like to scuba down there.

Anyway, if you like chillin and swimming down dark tunnels, youll like this. The water wasnt too cold, but was cooler than I expected, but once in, it was fine.

There are actually two routes. At the entrance there is this giant spinner which you can spin ( a lot of people are unaware of this). It will point either to the left route or right route. One route takes you to the "village" side of Xcaret, while the other toward the "jungle" side. We only had time to take one route. As I recall they end up at the same spot.

We just came back two weeks ago from a Princess Cruise and did this shore excursion. We thought that the underground river would have been GREAT if there hadn't been so many people. With school out, I think we had more crowds than usual and that made this less enjoyable for our group. Hopefully, August will be better!

You stand in line for life vests and the large bag to put your personal things which they deliver to the end of the river for you. If you can split up and stand in the separate lines that may save you some time (I'm not sure if they will give you more than one vest).

Ixcaret is a beatiful place and you can get gorgeous photos. Lunch and drinks at Dos Playas was nice too. Have a great time!

Archived