Ft Lauderdale Airport - Miami cruiseport

wannagoagain

Can anyone give me advice or tell me their experience doing this? I'm planning to get to Ft L the day before. Stay there or Miami? Rent car or use a service? Appreciate all input. Thanks in advance!

Guest YesitDonna

We fly into Ft Lauderdale and go out of Miami all the time. We prefer to rent a car and then drive to Miami and stay in Miami. This way we were already in the same city in the morning. We return the car and take the car rental shuttle right to the port. It has been cheaper for us at times to rent the car then it is to us a service and this way you have the car to do what you want the night before. We used Alamo because we knew they had the shuttle to the port. We also booked out car through Costco and save a lot of money and go a really nice car.

Can anyone give me advice or tell me their experience doing this? I'm planning to get to Ft L the day before. Stay there or Miami? Rent car or use a service? Appreciate all input. Thanks in advance!

We flew into FLL and went out of the Port of Miami for our cruise this past March. We had a friend drop us off at the port but had to secure ground transportation for our return trip to the airport. As far as when you head back to the airport there are PLENTY of taxis and shuttle vans available curbside right outside the ships terminal waiting to take you to any airport. ASK before you jump in a taxi or shuttle van returning to the airport as they all charge different fees. We took a shuttle van who was offering $40 for the both of us. It took 45 minutes from the pier to the FLL airport. If you want to stay in FLL plan on at least a 45 minute drive the next day to the cruise terminal. I wouldn't recommend a car rental as you will have to pay around $12 (cash, prepaid) to park it at the cruise terminal plus the rental fee. Find a hotel near the cruise terminal (Holiday Inn Bayside is a good one) or another one that can shuttle you to the pier for your cruise. The Holiday Inn is 5 minutes from the Port of Miami and is across the street from Bayside Market where you can shop, eat and listen to music, a very nice place. Hope I have helped, any more questions I can help with let me know. :p

I am doing the same thing. I got a room at the Hyatt on Priceline for $80. I also rented a car from Enterprise, and the drop off is at the Hyatt. Found it cheaper, and also lets us stop, eat, pick up last minute items, ect...

I am flying into FLL the day before as well. After hours of searching, it is definitely cheaper to rent a car and drive it to Miami. I am renting from Enterprise which does not charge a drop fee and they shuttle you to the port free of charge. The car cost $31 and I can run around town all night. I am staying in FLL because it gets congested in Miami. I am staying on FLL beach in the Sheraton Yankee Trader for $45 using Starwood points. There are lots of things to do in FLL if you don't want to brave the Miami hustle and bustle. I used to live there so I speak from first hand exp. No matter what, you will love it! Have fun!

We also researched what to do. We are flying into FLL Sat night and leaving out of Miami on Sunday. Got a full size car at Hertz for $24 plus taxes. Hertz has a location at the Marriott by the pier, we are staying next door at the Doubletree so DH can return the car and walk back then all of us can take a cab to the pier. We are a family of 5 and did not want to drive to the aiport and drag our luggage all around to catch a shuttle.:rolleyes:

Great information. Thanks everyone for contributing. I also needed this information. Now I have lots more options - and still have decide whether to stay in FLL or Miami the night before the cruise.

MrDood - the other forums do not get the responses we get here from the great Carnival cruisers. The other forums get people looking for information, but not so many replying about their recent experiences.

Tri County Airport Express, $18 per person. ;)

When you arrive at the airport, collect your luggage and go outside the baggage claim area, lower level, curbside, contact one of the starters (customer services reps.) wearing a white shirt with "AIRPORT EXPRESS" in red on the back of the shirt and an emblem on the sleeve and over the breast pocket. Let the starter know what service you are interested in and he/she will assist you

Archived