Radison Mariner

Hi Bubbie. My husband and I just got back yesterday from our trip to Alaska onboard the RSSC Mariner. I can summarize the trip in one word - SUPERB! The ship is beautiful. 600 passengers which is a very easily managed group. No lines. Always room in the dining rooms, theatre and lounges. The food is unbelievable. There are 4 restaurants to chose from. Signatures and Latitudes require reservations. Compass Rose and La Veranda are open from 7-9pm (for dinner) and you can show up when you it best suits you. There is also food served at lunch at the grill by the pool. Each day has a theme such as Mexican food etc. but you can always get a hamburger or chicken breast sandwich.

Wine is complimentary with dinner and each night I ended up a little tipsy as they keep filling your glass! Each night was a theme such as French Cuisine in the compass rose. The wines are all french as are the meals, desserts and cheeses served on the cheese board.

The entertainment was great. Kenny Smiles puts on a show that is really entertaining. He is from Wales and sings as well as is a comedian. Don't sit in the front rows as he tends to pick out his "victims" from those rows! I laughed until I cried. He sings songs that we all know. It was amazing how during his songs the audience all joined in with him. We all had a great time. The other shows are just as entertaining. I saw them all!

My one tip would be that when you are packing for the cruise, bring an assortment of clothes from jeans for during the day, to country club casual for some of the evenings. Men should bring at least one jacket if not two. Women need a couple of fancier outfits. I stuck with the country club casual attire when I packed and when I got there I wished I had some "fancier" outfits for a couple evenings at dinner. It seemed people dressed up more for the captain's welcoming cocktail party.

If you have any other questions you would like answered, you can email me at sprtanette@aol.com and I will be glad to answer anything!

I had an amazing time and will never forget my time onboard the Mariner. I hope that I will be able to sail with them again~!

ENJOY! and if you need anyone to carry your luggage - keep me in mind!!

Welcome Bubbie! Alaska and Mariner...what a great combination! If you haven't already decided on your suite, take a look at the C category Penthouses. The Penhouse layout is our absolute favorite....and by booking C category (without Butler) you save a little and still have this incredibly spacious suite. If you don't want to go for the Penhouse, the standard suites are terrific as well. Superior to almost any standard accommodations on other ships! Wherever you are on the Mariner, I'm confident you'll love it! Please don't hesitate to keep asking questions...we're all here to help and share info and experiences!

I second the idea of a penthouse suite. Normally we do the standard room, but for Alaska, so much of the trip is "watching". With the wider window of the penthouse, you can see more. Some days may be rainy (10 of our 11 days were, very unusual) and you can see the world go by from the comfort of your suite. If the weather's good then you have a bigger balcony to view from.

I would recommend taking at least one sport coat and a couple of fancier dresses also, not too fancy though.

Here's a tip: One day it was rainy and we were right by a glacier that was calving like crazy. The observation lounge was so full it was hard to see. We went down to the outside promenade level which was fully covered and protected us from the rain, but there was no one down there to have to compete with for viewing space.

Have fun, its a great trip on a great ship!

Bubbie - Don't worry if the price of the penthouse C suites are beyond your budget (like ours). We were on Mariner's first sailing to Alaska: June 4, 2001, in the lowest price category (suite 735). The mid-ship location was great and we found that spending part of the time cruising College Fjord on our balcony allowed us to hear the cracking of the "bergy bits" of ice better than when we were higher up and outside on the jogging track. We were blessed with mostly clear weather but were very glad for the layers of clothing that we packed. When needed I was able to wear a fleece jacket under my Gore-Tex jacket. Knit hat and gloves were appreciated when standing out on the deck or balcony while cruising past glaciers.

Our two favorite shore excursions were our big splurges: Islands Wing's seaplane out of Ketchikan and Coastal Helicopter's 90 minute helicopter flight out of Juneau. Both of those rank up in favorite experiences of a lifetime. I booked them independently in advance via internet.

Have a great time. Practically everyone who has ever been to Alaska has loved it.

KATHY Z we are booked in room 735, the exact room you were in. We are doing the Panama Canal cruise March 3-17 of 2005. We are hooking up with two couples we met in Tahiti. I could not believe it when you posted your room number from your Alaska cruise. Let me know if you stashed any money in the room and I will be sure it is put to good use. Dan

Any tips would be appreciated also.

The Mariner is very near a perfect ship, as far as we could tell. The only problem is in the lower category suites (otherwise just great) the tub/shower combination gives only 6' 2" headroom in the shower, which has been a problem for some taller people. I have heard (but have not confirmed) that Radisson has recognized this problem and has converted some of these suites to a separate shower. Taller folks might want to check this out.

Thanks,

Richard

Hi Bubbie,

My wife and I were on the Mariner (our first RSSC cruise) in mid-May 2004 when they were repositioning her to Alaska from the Carribbean. We were on the L.A. to Vancouver leg...7 days.

We were on the Sun Princess several years ago in Alaska......Seward to Vancouver. Took several great tours in Alaska if you have any questions.

The Mariner is a wonderful ship! I'm 55 years old, so apparently I haven't matured enough to appreciate the "art work" on the walls as you go up and down the glass elevators on the Mariner!! How many drugs could these artists have taken! Otherwise, she is a stunning ship....rooms are excellent and roomy with balconys of course (loved our balcony!), staff is the best we have ever experienced (to a person!), food is superb......never felt pressure to tip as I thought we would although I did decide to tip a couple of extra, extra special people, but all of the staff were truly wonderful......we booked category C, deck 9 ......lucked out and were bumped up to a Horizon Suite Aft on deck 9, with butler and all. .......we had 620 passengers on our trip with a total capacity of about 700

We had no waiting in lines for anything, which we were not used to......very, very calm atmosphere on the ship instead of feeling like a herd of cattle. Very relaxing and elegant feeling...

If you want to eat at the Signatures and/or Lattitudes restuarants that require reservations.....make your reservations as quickly as possible after boarding! They book quickly... and they are excellent!

Great closet in the suite with a personal safe.....very nice.

For the first time, I chose not to take a tux and took a dark suit instead.....was a bit concerned, however, on this repositoning cruise, I would say about 80 to 90 percent of the men were in dark suits.....surprised me a bit.....but I felt comfortable with my choice.

We usually took part in the daily afternoon tea in the aft lounge....I think deck 6....my wife introduced me to scones and clotted cream.......Oh my! I was hopelessly hooked, and after returning to work the next week I was having the shakes after not having my scones and desserts around 4 pm each day!....and of course losing at bingo...

Entertainment - The young people that they had 2 nights during our cruise (including the first night) doing broadway types of entertainment, were just terrific!! A comedian they had was pretty good,....the rest was truly mediocre.....and I am being kind with the term mediocre.

I have babbled on way too long. The Mariner is a great ship with a great crew and great service!! Alaska is maybe my favorite destination......unbelieveable, stunning views, especially since you have your wonderful balcony to enjoy it from! Have a great trip and a lifetime memory....If you have any questions, send a post here and I will check back. Have fun!

Dwight & Sharos

So. Calif.

ticketsunlimted - I'm sorry to report that we stashed no cash or jewels in suite 735. It was very comfortable and since my husband and I are both under 6' tall encountered no problems with the shower (but I did notice the low ceiling height of the shower). We prefer a top sheet and blanket rather than the european style duvet that is supplied on the bed. My attempt to explain this to our cabin stewards via a note on the first night did not meet with success. I ended up tracking down the head housekeeper before bed and our request was immediately taken care of. The next morning there were such profuse apologies from our stewards that I felt somewhat embarrassed. I told them that all was fine now and not to worry about it.

We were able to dine in Signatures twice during our 10 day cruise. As Pam said, we don't think this unique 10 day Alaskan itinerary has been repeated. Perhaps we were able to get our second reservation in Signatures because we dine early and they were able to seat another couple at the table 60-90 minutes later. We also ate at Latitudes once but it was our least favorite dining alternative. People either love or not care for Latitudes.

I'm a little concerned about being assigned cabin 777 on the Mariner. Unfortunately I book a G Gty Cabin, my agent didn't get me upgraded or a handicap cabin, and I ended up at the back of the ship.

I know some of the best cabins are at the rear, but rooming with a brother that easily gets sea sick, isn't there a greater feel of the pitching and rocking of the ship in the rear?

Or this not the case with the Mariner.

Dave

I'm a little concerned about being assigned cabin 777 on the Mariner. Unfortunately I book a G Gty Cabin, my agent didn't get me upgraded or a handicap cabin, and I ended up at the back of the ship. It's the luck of the draw, and they are all nice cabins.

I know some of the best cabins are at the rear, but rooming with a brother that easily gets sea sick, isn't there a greater feel of the pitching and rocking of the ship in the rear?

Or this not the case with the Mariner.

Dave

Just returned from cabin 770 on the Mariner, from Seward to Vancouver. No problems at all - incredibly stabile, even the first night when we had strong winds. And the balcony is great - sat for thirty minutes just staring at the Hubbard Glacier and listening to the commentary on our television. Enjoy.

Archived