Nassau again.

I know the answer usually is no when inquiring about wheelchair accessible excursions in Nassau. But I found one through Carnival's shore excursion page I have never seen before. It claims to be wheelchair accessible. It is Pirates of Nassau & Historical Highlights Tour and is done by somebody by the name of David Cordingly. Was just wondering if anyone have heard of or tried this one.

I know the answer usually is no when inquiring about wheelchair accessible excursions in Nassau. But I found one through Carnival's shore excursion page I have never seen before. It claims to be wheelchair accessible. It is Pirates of Nassau & Historical Highlights Tour and is done by somebody by the name of David Cordingly. Was just wondering if anyone have heard of or tried this one.

They could be talking about the Pirate Museum, (which is accessible). David Cordingly is a noted pirate expert. (he's quoted a lot). It could be because the museum is accessible they are calling the tour accessible. But I'd find out if there is walking outside of the museum (if indeed the museum is included). I can't imagine them just showing you the museum with such an expert leading the tour. There must be more.

Candy

That is also our experience with many cruise lines. They will say the excursion is accessible because you can get around in a wheelchair once you are on site.

If you ask the key question: "Is the transportation on a wheelchair lift equipped bus or van?" you will often get the response "well, no, but you can take your wheelchair and you only have to step up three steps into the van". I guess all the ambulatory scooter passengers have them believing that anyone who uses a mobility device only uses it part time. When I explain that my mother can neither walk or stand, they seem amazed that someone with this type of disability would be traveling at all. Definately check it out before you book.

On my last visit to Nassau in 2005, I was quite surprised to find the shops on Bay Street inaccessible. I waited outside on my scooter while my wife browsed. Considering Nassau was probably the first Caribbean cruise port and a frequent stop because of its proximity to the U.S., the merchants and the government have done little to make the city accessible. I doubt that I will return to Nassau until changes are made.

Archived