Exercising and NOT losing weight?

WeirdEyes

Shelia,

Read the first article. A friend at work has been on that exact diet roller coaster.

She lost about 50 lbs. on Jenny Craig, a far too low calorie diet. Gained it all back. Just went back on JG, lost 15 and has just about gained it all back.

She is now exercising 3 times as much just to keep her weight where it is. A very vicious cycle.

I like to lose weight by cutting a few calories here and there. It may take me 6 months to lose 5 lbs. but then again I don't have huge weight fluctuations.

Shelia,

Read the first article. A friend at work has been on that exact diet roller coaster.

She lost about 50 lbs. on Jenny Craig, a far too low calorie diet. Gained it all back. Just went back on JG, lost 15 and has just about gained it all back.

She is now exercising 3 times as much just to keep her weight where it is. A very vicious cycle.

I like to lose weight by cutting a few calories here and there. It may take me 6 months to lose 5 lbs. but then again I don't have huge weight fluctuations.

Your friend sounds a lot like I used to be. It is a vicious cycle! My trainer told me to not lose more than one pound a week. He said that I'm being impatient and that I need to look at the overall picture. I know he's right, but it is so hard. I really like those weeks when I lose 2-3 lbs. However, I now realize I was losing muscle instead of fat. I'm working on getting the fat down and the muscle up.

That could explain some of my weight fluctuations, I sometimes gain or drop 4-6 pounds withing HOURS. I'm sure medication (I take a lot) plays a role in all that water retention glycogen (sp?) stuff. but I'm working out and I notice I have more energy, so I just have to be encouraged by that :-)

That could explain some of my weight fluctuations, I sometimes gain or drop 4-6 pounds withing HOURS. I'm sure medication (I take a lot) plays a role in all that water retention glycogen (sp?) stuff. but I'm working out and I notice I have more energy, so I just have to be encouraged by that :-)

Same here! I feel so much better since I've been working out so much. However, the weight isn't coming off. I'm losing inches in my upper body, but nothing in the lower. It is frustrating!

Thanks, Sheila! I knew most of this already (except the glycogen supply in your muscles -wow!), but it's always good to read it again & be reminded! VERY interesting about the glycogen!

Sha

I thought so also, Sha.

I just read the first article. That was good to hear again. I'm with you Sheila on putting the scale away. I have not beenon it in 2 weeks now and it feels great! I am planning to weigh on Friday and until then just focus on exercise and eating better.

I was at the gym last night and the trainer asked me how I was doing. I told him that I wasn't losing weight and he scolded me! LOL He said that it didn't matter what the scale said and I should not even consider it. He said the only thing that matters is my body fat percentage. I have to wait another 2 weeks to get that measured again. However, I don't feel any thinner except for the upper body as I mentioned before.

Thanks so much for the referred article. I don't even have a scale but I can tell by my clothes. Although isn't it funny some it all depends who makes the clothes as to what size we wear:) My friends new DIL is a size 0, my friend said the last time I wore that size it said "0-3 months". I thought that was cute. The article made a lot of sense. I say everything in moderation and watch portion size. That helps. I must be the odd man out I don't gain weight on a cruise, thank heaven. Its at home in front of the TV that is my downfall. I'm trying no eating after dinner, hope it works. Good luck to everyone. Have a great day.;)

Thanks so much for the referred article. I don't even have a scale but I can tell by my clothes. Although isn't it funny some it all depends who makes the clothes as to what size we wear:) My friends new DIL is a size 0, my friend said the last time I wore that size it said "0-3 months". I thought that was cute. The article made a lot of sense. I say everything in moderation and watch portion size. That helps. I must be the odd man out I don't gain weight on a cruise, thank heaven. Its at home in front of the TV that is my downfall. I'm trying no eating after dinner, hope it works. Good luck to everyone. Have a great day.;)

I love what your friend said...that's a good one!! I wish I didn't gain on a cruise. I love food so much! I'm definitely addicted to sweets. I'm going to try and be good on my next cruise so I don't gain too much. ;)

Well, we just took measurements and I'm was down 3 pounds from 3 weeks ago. Doesn't seem like much given those fluctuations mentioned above, bt I suppose it's something.,

I've been working out really hard and watching what goes in the mouth so I feel like it should be coming off faster :mad: . However, the measurements showed .5 inch loss in each thigh and .5 inch lost in my belly and .5 inch loss under the boobs. So something is happening, maybe.

The biggest difference is that I'm not taking pain medication every day. And since we want to try to have kids, that's been the biggest goal, to feel well enough to cut back on meds. So, apparently I'm shallow and I think I only want to be cute and skinny, but really I need to be doing a rah rah dance that it's been several days since I've used a muscle relaxer or anti-inmlamatory. So, yay, dammit:p

Y'all might have read this on another thread, but wanted to post it here since this one is related to exercise.

I had my 6 week assessment at the gym Monday night and this is what I accomplished:

1. Decreased body fat percentage by 3 points!!!

2. Lost 4 lbs of pure fat!!!

3. The weight that I've gained (1 pound) is pure muscle!!!

My trainer was so proud of me. I thought I was going to cry right there in his office!! He said I made his day!

So, even though the scale says I gained a pound, I actually lost 4 lbs of fat! Needless to say, I was so excited I almost cried!! LOL

Lady V ~ You're doing a fantastic job!!!!

LadyV -- AWESOME! The seemingly "small" weight loss coupled with the loss of inches means you've lost fat & gained muscle. EXCELLENT!

And isn't it wonderful that you don't have to be AT or even CLOSE TO your weight goal to already reap the OTHER benefits of your weight loss! Congrats on being able to decrease the meds! You've got so many ways to measure your success on your way to becoming healthy, as well as cute & skinny, so don't let the number on the scale ever become the most important measurement of your health & well-being!

Sheila -- Woohoo to you, too! That 3% BF loss is amazing! All your hard work is paying off! Now you'll trust your trainer when he says to ignore the scale! :D

Sha

Thanks for the support. I just got back from working ut. That's three weeks steady (with no more than 2 days missed per week). Congrats WierdEyes, three-percent bodyfat is a LOT!

Great job on sticking with your workouts. I know it is tough, but we do it, right? ;) Thanks for the congrats. I still have 5% more to lose!! :(

Archived