Workout clothes

My wife and I have been working hard getting in shape over the past nine months. We didn't take advantage of the fitness facilities, on our first cruise, but we definitely want to spent time there on our next cruise. Is it possible to not gain weight on a cruise? haha My questions is... does any have any suggestions on dealing with sweaty work-out clothes?

thanks,

Majesty of the Sea 01/1999

Navigator of the Sea 01/2007

Is it possible to not gain weight on a cruise? My questions is... does any have any suggestions on dealing with sweaty work-out clothes?

I don't gain weight on a cruise. I eat and drink everything I want, but I counteract that by taking brisk walks around deck twice a day. Looking at that gorgeous ocean makes it easy and not so much like 'work'. I also take the stairs instead of using the elevators. I walk a lot in ports, as well.

Dirty workout clothing - Use the ship's laundry service (very inexpensive), or perhaps your ship has passenger laundry rooms?

We work out every day and try to do things on land that are physical too. We do this because we don't want to pass up any tasty food and be mistaken for a whale pod.

We take enough workout clothes for each day. LOTS of socks! Chuck em in a hefty bag after they've had a chance to air dry for a little bit out on the balcony and then wash em all up when we get home.

At the end of the cruise we combine all the clean clothes in one big suitcase and cram the hefty bag full of stinky stuff in the other big suitcase. We always get a giggle when we get home and find one of those inspection cards from the airlines in the dirty clothes suitcase.:D

Thanks for the advice. I was beginning to give up on our plans to work-out. It is encouraging to hear that it can be done successfully. I know that I won't be able to pass on any of the tasty food either, and I remember being hungry all the time on our first cruise. Must be something about the ocean breeze.

Don't be totally rank before ya start...and ya can only get soo stinky...

Seriously...air dry the clothes...then bring heavyweight plastic bags to throw them in...

Make sure your sneaks don't stink before ya leave...cause of course...clean socks in yukky shoes get funky way fast...

On the boat I was on- we had 12 decks

We were on Deck 5...We would often take the stairs....up and down...

Loved em...

EXCEPT on formal nights..unless it was down....

Heck- if ya don't really need to wash ...and wanna lessen the aroma a particularly rank outfit- bring a few ounces of detergent...swish it out in the sink...and rinse when you are in the shower and leave it to dry...

Simple air drying will work for 90% of gym clothes...to lessen the rank...:)

Letssoar,

I was wondering how I was going to get away with the stinky exercise clothes on my next cruise too! Thanks for posting.

BratDet,

Thanks for the tip on bringing some detergent. I'll probably put some powdered detergent in a tupperware.

Wear your work out clothes into the shower, lather, rinse and remove. (Then wash yourself.) Hang them to dry when you get out.

I do this when getting back from a day at the beach...keeps the bathing suit clean and ready to wear the next day.

I have heard that it is better to hang the wet clothes inside, than out. I had thought of using the balcony (since we have that as an option this time) but someone said that they would never dry out there, is this true?

Depends on the humidity and whether its raining.

Also, the type of workout clothes is important. Obviously, cotton is going to be a problem drying. But there are good number of 'breathable' clothes that dry very fast. For example, the Under Armour brand is expensive but excellent. I just jump in the shower with them and then let them airdry. It cuts the number of workout clothes in half.

I wash them out in the sink. I also use the stairs and walk everywhere at a speedy rate. I lost weight on my last cruise.

I did put a couple things on the balcony on my last cruise. Sadly it was the day the Crown tipped and my favorite sarong went overboard. Since I was not supposed to hang anything on the balcony I have no one to blame but me.

Taking the stair makes a huge difference. Last year prior to our first cruise I read on a post that people who took the elevators everywhere were "fatties" and I certainly didn't want to be one of those.

I took work out clothes but ended up wearing a tankini top and bikini bottoms with a pair of shorts over to ride the bike in the gym for 20-30 minutes. When I was done I'd hit the steam bath then the showers in the spa before our late dinner seating. I'd use Woolite to clean my "gym" clothes and hang them up and they were usually ready to go in the morning.

This time I plan on walking the track first thing in the morning, I already have "cruise music" loaded in my MP3 player, followed by the gym again before dinner. Then I can enjoy the desserts without too much guilt!

I like the idea of the early morning walk, and then the gym work-out in the early evening. That should fit with our schedule since we have the late seating for dinner, so even on the days that we are in port we should have time for some exercise before dinner.

We will definitely be using the stairs too!

I'm sure not many people can say that they've lost weight on a cruise. I'd be happy just to maintain.

I've never actually lost weight on a cruise but usually gain only a couple of pounds. We do as others have posted: walk everywhere possible, especially the stairs, walk the jogging track a couple of miles a day, or the promenade deck, if there is one. We often do this in the evening after dinner and whatever shows we go to, since we are not early risers. We also try to do active excursions and tend not to eat too much when on shore. We use the workout facilities sometimes, also. I'd take the fitness classes more, but they tend to start early and I like to sleep in a little when possible.

I eat what I want on the ship, sometimes way too much, but keep it under control with the above methods. It also helps that I don't drink and don't even like pop much; mostly water and sometimes tea or coffee.

We only take the elevator if we have very small kids along or I have on very uncomfortable shoes for formal night!

I travel a lot for work and now that I've discovered the wicking material workout clothes, I don't have to bring as much stuff. For shirts, I like the under armour and nike brands. For shorts- Nike has those running shorts (not really short ones) made of windbreaker material that dry pretty fast as well. Maybe bring 2-3 outfits & follow everyone else's advice & wash them out each night in the sink & hang to dry.

Just bring your shoes, lots of socks & your ipod & you will be set. Sunglasses (duh) & a baseball cap for walks on the deck are also a good idea. Have fun!!

• 4 weeks later...
I have heard that it is better to hang the wet clothes inside, than out. I had thought of using the balcony (since we have that as an option this time) but someone said that they would never dry out there, is this true?

Depends on the humidity and whether its raining.

And whether or not they slip off the balcony...... :eek: :D

• 3 weeks later...

ALL JOKING ASIDE (Geee, I wish I could quit being a smart***!)....but since you asked I just remembered that I made a cruisenote just this morning about workout clothes and I am keeping it radically simple: 1-2 pr of leggings, open shell and a white towel. Shoes, of course. THAT'S IT. (Oh, and swimsuit if I get down to my playin' weight. Otherwise, I will do what you did your first cruise....oh, dear.)

Archived