Crown - July 2, 2006 sailing PROS AND LOTS OF CONS

Ela&Alex

:( Re: July 2, 2006 trip

My cruise on the Crown Princess was not the best cruise I have ever had. This is my third with Princess out of 7 cruises, including other lines. I am posting facts, not because I like to complain, but because I am disappointed with Princess. Take this as you will. It is meant as information only.

Yes, missing Grand Turk was a disappointment, the captain announced the news at 1:30 AM really loud in everyone's cabin. I understand the itinerary can be changed by Princess for good reasons. This was poor planning, not caused by mother nature. I was rudely awoken at 1:30 am. The lack of air conditioning in certain public areas, in the elevators and the Horizon needs to be corrected. The Caribe Cafe had air conditioning . The drinking water in the Horizon was warm, they placed a large container of ice cubes next to the drinking machine in the Horizon. We got stuck in the elevator. The toilet in my cabin did not flush for about 2 hours....right after breakfast...and had to go to a public area and find another toilet. We were never informed that there was some repair being done below our cabin. This is what passenger services told me over the phone after a second phone call.

The food quality has declined. However, both Sabatini and Crown and Grill were excellent (it costs extra). My first formal night photos were ruined by the photographer (another first for us). There were lots of photos (not just ours ) out of focus, they told me it was a lens. I know digital photography and this can occur by moving the camera or setting it wrong.

The fact that we spent 4 consecutive days at sea became boring although I enjoy sea days, but it was just too many.

Yes, the ship is beautiful, my cabin attendant was excellent (Thank Goodness!).

The Princess Theater was not large enough. We were standing whenever there was a popular show. No, we were not late.

We hope that Princess does not continue penny-pinching for this and for that. I prefer to pay more for a cruise than have to pay for even a regular cup of coffee. Yes, it was free in the Horizon, but not free in the International Cafe. It cost a buck. No, it was not a specialty coffee. Other activities, such as crafts, lessons cost extra also.

Will I sail with Princess again? Not sure. I think I will go back to Royal Caribbean for a while unless Princess gets their act together.

Oh, by the way, I still love cruising !

Celebrity Horizon - 1991 (Bermuda)

Carnival Destiny - 1999 (Western Caribbean)

Grand Princess - 2002 (Eastern Caribbean)

Adventure of the Seas-2003 (Southern Caribbean)

Voyager of the Seas - 2004 (Eastern Caribbean)

Grand Princess - 2005 (Mediterranean)

Crown Princess - 2006 (Eastern Caribbean)

Hi, thanks for your review! I'm sorry you didn't have a good time.

I have a question about the shows. That's not good that there aren't enough seats for everybody. What time did you typically get there and find no seats? If we get there say 5 minutes before show time, do you think there will be seats left?

The show I am referring to was the Crew Show. The one that James, the cruise director dressed up as a ballerina. It was very funny, but standing room only....lots of people.

For the other shows we were able to find seats, but it was because there were other shows going on in the other lounges. If the show was popular, it was standing room if you did not get there at least 15 minutes before.

The Princess Theater has 800 seats. There are at least 3000 people on board so finding a seat can be difficult. When we were are on the 6/23 sailing people were arriving 45 minutes early for the production shows. I went to the first one, "Motor City" and I basically equated it to a high school production or summer stock. I never went back after that.

That is exactly why we wait. I have watched several ships reviews and it seems that it takes a good 6-8 months to work out the kinks. Like it or not, it is the truth. We like to take the new ships but from what I have seen it pays to wait.

What classes do you have to pay for?- i have always done the little craft classes on my cruises and never payed. Feb will be our first princess cruise.

Thanks for the info

Chris

The show I am referring to was the Crew Show. The one that James, the cruise director dressed up as a ballerina. It was very funny, but standing room only....lots of people.

For the other shows we were able to find seats, but it was because there were other shows going on in the other lounges. If the show was popular, it was standing room if you did not get there at least 15 minutes before.

Yikes, We saw James dressed as a ballerina on the Sun in January, and once before I cant remember where.

I hope the shows are not all repeats!!!

We are going in October.

(Incidentally, we really do like James a lot)

Years ago people cruised maybe once every 5 years. My son is 15 and has been on 9 cruises. Many of us are like my friends and myself cruise at least once (sometimes twice) a year some on the same ships and some try different ships and we start seeing the same shows, pool Olympics, etc. Same music, everything even food like Baked Alaska. Still, we all love it (at least my group does) Wonder though if some will get bored with all the re-runs?

What classes do you have to pay for?- i have always done the little craft classes on my cruises and never payed. Feb will be our first princess cruise.

Thanks for the info

Chris

Do not bother with the ceramics painting. More than half the stuff cracked or bubbled in the kiln. Complete waste of time. They said these things happen frequently. I know ceramics and basically the reason is poor castings are used (contain air or water). Refund was offered.

Lectures- we attended a lecture on carribean slavery. Speaker was just reading and lost her place several times. She obviously was not the person who did the research. Very boring.

If you want to learn try the Art Auction led by Nino. This guy was good and the auction was fun to watch even if you do not buy anything. I learned a great deal and actually might start acquiring art as a result. Even my 15 year old son enjoyed the auction.

Hi, thanks for your review! I'm sorry you didn't have a good time.

I have a question about the shows. That's not good that there aren't enough seats for everybody. What time did you typically get there and find no seats? If we get there say 5 minutes before show time, do you think there will be seats left?

This is very true. If it is a popular show that is occurring only once, there are not enough seats for everyone who wants to attend. Only when there are multiple showings does it work out ok. There were people standing for Ralph Harris's 10:30 show tonight, because he had performed on Tuesday night and people saw and heard that he was good and wanted to see more. (it was an all new show). He apologized to those standing, and even spotted an empty chair and got one of the standers to sit down. :)

I arrived at 10:20 and got a seat because friends saw me walking up the aisle, looking, and called me over to a seat next to them.

Archived