Transfers from airport to ship "on our own"

BettyNL

We are having a very difficult time with Celebrity on booking the air, so I think we will be booking our own (at approximately $200 less per person)

Therefore, we will NOT be getting transfers; having never been to South America, I would certainly appreciate information on:

(a) From the Santiago airport to the ship in Valparaiso;

(b) From the ship in Buenos Aires to the airport.

Does anybody have any suggestions?? Has anybody used a preferred source for these services?? How much in cost AND difficulty should we expect doing this "on our own"??

Thanks for ALL the information I have gotten for this destination from ALL you helpful posters.......

In Santiago I would suggest hiring one of the private guides who will give you a tour of Valpariso, Vin del Mar and take you to the ship. We did the reverse in January when we left the Regal Princess in Valpariso.

It was a full day trip and besides seeing Valpariso, Vin del Mar, we went to a winery and also had a good tour of Santiago.

We used http://www.turismonuevomundo.cl/

In Buenos Aires we used Carlos of Private tours as a guide for the day when we visited the city on the Regal. I am sure he could also arrange for you to be taken to the airport.

Jennie

JENNIE....... What a thrill to get such a quick reply and also from "down under" :cool:

Although we're not actually looking for a tour, just transfers from hotel / airport in Santiago to ship in Valparaiso, their website certainly is giving us some wonderful ideas :D

Thanks again for your assistance!

We went on HAL, did our own air, and never once took a ship's tour. We used http://www.southstartours.com to arrange transfer from Santiago to Valparisio, combined with a winery tour. In Rio, we used them to arrange a day tour and then to the airport (we had a red-eye flight). I know they will do the same in BA. They are a USA company who brokers tours in SA, so you are dealing with someone in LA as far as payment, etc. We had good tours in every port through different local companies that they contract with.

You do need to call or e-mail them for their cruise excursions, since they only have their comprehensive land tours on their website.

• 2 weeks later...
Jennie,

Excuse me, I am confused.

what company you used for transfer from Santiago to Valparaiso

http://www.turismonuevomundo.cl/ or http://www.enaturchile.com/ your experience is very important for us.

Marilyn

I have not only confused you but also myself. Our friends organized our transfer from Valpariso to Santiago and I have just gone back into our correspondence and we did use enaturchile.

They were excellent. They met us at the dock when we disembarked and had a lovely, clean air conditioned van waiting for us. We had a good driver and an English speaking guide. The whole day cost us around $70 per couple. We did get a discount, because our friends had recommended others to him. I also think you can ask for a 10% discount by mentioning C.C. We did see a lot. We not only saw quite a good part of Valpariso, but also went down to Vin de Mar before starting our journey back to Santiago. We also called into a winery on the way to Santiago.

Once in Santiago we were taken around to all the major sites. We had asked particularly for a tour of Santiago. We didn't get to our hotels until around 5.30pm. Here are the contact details:

Victor Aballai R.

(Directo : +56 (2) 491-8224

(Movil : +56 (9) 240-3159

ü www.enaturchile.com

Jennie

karyne..... we're arriving in Santiago on 29 December / transferring to Valparaiso on the 30th to board the ship same day.

Still doing "research" as to who we will use :confused:

BettyNL

• 2 weeks later...

We're going out of Valparaiso Dec. 3 too. We've gotten our own air and get into Santiago Dec. 2. So we're trying to book a hotel/transfer through Celebrity. I think the International Hotel was $86pp for both. However, right now they say their hotel reservations are full and we're on the wait list. Sue

We found the Ritz Carlton to be a wonderful hotel and in a great area of Santiago.

It is not a huge hotel and we were treated extremely well. We also booked independently and the rate was better than what you are paying for the International hotel. This was for the end of January this year.

Jennie

Sue,

We did it in reverse to you. We dismebarked in Valpariso and used a private guide who took us around Valpariso and Vin del Mar and then onto a winery before arriving in Santiago where he gave us a good tour of the city. We shared him with another couple and it cost us around $55 p.p. It could have been less as my friend received a discount because she recommended his firm to quite a few on our Roll Call. We also used his firm next day to take us independently out to the airport.

The firm we used was Enaturchille.com and our friend who organized it spoke with Victor.

Jennie

skoscins,

We are 4 couples going on 12/3 cruise also. We are arriving on the 2nd and staying at the Intercontinental. We booked through Latintrip.com $130 for the night including breakfast. Next day Turisnuevomundo is picking us up for a tour of Santiago, a winery on the way to Valparaiso, tour of Valparaiso and Vina del Mar and then drop off at Infinity pier. My only thing now is to find something to do on 12/2, the day of arrival.

Thanks, Jennie. I checked Ritz-Carlton and got a $320 price quote. Yuk. Sue

Sue,

I am so sorry. That is a terrible price. We only paid around $150US for the night. I booked it early in 2005 for late January 2006 direct with the hotel. We stay at quite a few Ritz Carlton Hotels around the world and I usually find if I book early I get the best price.

In fact I checked it out the price a couple of times during last year and was able to reduce the price even more as it had come down but by the time January came around, the price had gone right up. I guess we were very lucky! :)

Jennie

Jennie, I'm usually the earliest reserver I know! I'm totally impressed that someone else reserves a year in advance!! I just kept waiting to hear something from Celebrity because I really don't know anything about the area - good, bad, indifferent. I'm working now on jeanb's suggestion about latintrip.com. Maybe they could even arrange a half day tour and transfer. Can't hurt to ask. Sue

Sue,

Wherever you stay will be fine. I loved Santiago though we were only there for such a short while as we flew out next morning to Cusco and Machu Picchu. The cruise is wonderful, are you going to Antarctica and also when you finish are you going to see the Iguazu Falls. They were one of our many highlights.

I unfortunately, am a great organizer and have to have everything in place months before they need to be. I have already booked four trips for next year with all the hotels etc. organized. I just can't help myself!

Jennie

I love it! I think you're better than I am. I'm working on 2008 now - have 2007 pretty much done, though not all hotels rental cars, etc. This whole S. American adventure was booked around my daughter's wedding in Salvador, We have only the one night/day in Santiago/Valparaiso, but that's ok, it was the cruise around the horn we were anxious for. We will not be going to Antarctica due to it's $1550 EACH price tag, much as I would have loved to. I had not heard about the Iguazo Falls when I first made reservations or I might have put that in the itinerary. But I guess we can't do everything. Sue

Archived