Is anyone going on the 9/5 Vancouver to LA Alaska cruise?

BearJT

I'm going - 3rd time to AK - been cruising SS since 1997. Single supplement, couldn't resist the itinerary since I will be getting off at home - Los Angeles.

Watching the weather in Juneau daily and thinking September may be chilly but so what.....cruising is always good in any kind of weather ..... especially on Silversea.

First trip was absolutely thrilling -- everyone should experience Alaska -- and I've felt that way each time. Can't wait....see you on board.

• 2 weeks later...
My wife and i will also be on this cruise , We cruised the Med last year with Silversea and had a great time. We will be coming from the U/K on the 4th September and staying at Sutton Place Hotel

We did the UK/Ireland trip last year and had a terrific time.

Are you locked into the Sutton Place for any reason? The Waterfront is literally across the street from the ship.

See you there!

We will be on this cruise and staying at the Pan Pacific which I believe is right near the ship. We are bringing another couple from down under and it will be their first cruise and our eighth. We were wanting to do a dog sled excursion but can't see any excursions offering that. Can we organise from the ship, and does anyone know from which port we can do the dog sled ride?

We reach 98 days at the end of the cruise and just miss out on the complimentary laundry - bummer. Looking foward to having fun with you all.

Bye

Therese

Hi Mary ann - well you probably have met us on previous cruises - my husband always gets told he looks like Bill Clinton!!! (younger version of course) Look forward to catching up with you at the Bar 6.30pm on September 5 - after the life jacket drill!!!

Therese

We will be on this cruise and staying at the Pan Pacific which I believe is right near the ship. We are bringing another couple from down under and it will be their first cruise and our eighth. We were wanting to do a dog sled excursion but can't see any excursions offering that. Can we organise from the ship, and does anyone know from which port we can do the dog sled ride?

We reach 98 days at the end of the cruise and just miss out on the complimentary laundry - bummer. Looking foward to having fun with you all.

Bye

Therese

No dog sled. Something we wanted to do too. :(

Lots of whales and otters though. :)

Hi Mary ann - well you probably have met us on previous cruises - my husband always gets told he looks like Bill Clinton!!! (younger version of course) Look forward to catching up with you at the Bar 6.30pm on September 5 - after the life jacket drill!!!

Therese

It's a date !! See you in the bar about 6:30 on 9/5 -- I'm sure you'll look familiar.....;)

• 2 weeks later...

Frockoff: (love that name!) - Pan Pacific is in Canada Place, which includes an exposition center and also is where the ships dock. If you're a dog fan, be sure to stroll across the street to the Fairmont and say hello to their resident greeters - sweetie Labs with their very own doghouse right outside the hotel!

Good to see you, It's My Turn. (Now, wouldn't LabLover have been a good name!!) Sorry we couldn't connect for Tiburon. Spouse was feeling way-weary. Hope the home front was in good shape for your return.

To ItSally:

Believe (from reading the boards) you were on the "Classic Crossing" last year (London - Boston) with wife and I on the Whisper. And you have just returned from the Shadow in Alaska.

We are booked on the Shadow 3 Dec Ft Lauderdale to Barbados.

We are wondering how you compared the two cruises and the two ships? Did you notice any difference in the Silversea experience from 05 to 06?

We thought both experiences were outstanding! Couldn't see any difference between the Whisper/Shadow. Found the Shadow to be beautifully kept up. Thought food was a bit better - Whisper dinners last year were ok, but never anything I raved about. I did a little raving on this past cruise - mainly just the outstandingly tender and tasty beef offerings. Not much of a wine drinker, so can't comment on that.

Service was exemplary - except, of course, for the continuing problem of trying to get water or coffee at breakfast/lunch. It was nigh onto impossible last year and the same this year. But that is such a niggly little matter, spouse and I have chosen to laugh over it.

Overall, if I could figure a way to live aboard SS, I would!

Hope this helps. (Oh - here was one outstanding difference: Remember our cruise director last year - Michael? I thought he was a gem (didn't hurt that he was a Midwesterner!) and he really helped add to the overall experience. CD on the Shadow had a lot of fans, but I wasn't one of them. I thought he was a little full of himself. Again, however, it's not something I think of as too important. )

Here's something that was important:

Ironing board in Deck 6 laundry last year was an abomination - like something you wouldn't bother to donate to Goodwill. The Shadow's Deck 6 ironing board was better quality. It actually stood still while you used it!:p

Your quick response makes me more inclined to make the final payment on the 3 Dec Shadow cruise. :) Your comments on the Whisper 'Classic Crossing' were right on with ours. The food was excellent but we thought not really better than Celebrity or Crystal. And..yes...Michael the CD was the best we have ever had on any line. And do remember the ironing board - didn't use it but noticed when doing wash.

Thanks again!

BearJT and whoever is on this cruise and wanted to do the dog sled.

Have logged onto temscoair.com and they seem to be the only company operating the tours when we are in Juneau - all other companies close down at end of August. We have emailed a booking. Hope this helps. Really looking forward to this cruise.

BearJT and whoever is on this cruise and wanted to do the dog sled.

Have logged onto temscoair.com and they seem to be the only company operating the tours when we are in Juneau - all other companies close down at end of August. We have emailed a booking. Hope this helps. Really looking forward to this cruise.

Thanks for the pointer. We've settled for all nautical excursions; otters, fishing, whales/orcas. No zip lines for us. :D

I wonder how people who have never been mushing will react to the dogs, most are not the "hairy" huskies but skinny "mutt" looking animals. Our lead dog in Quebec was pregnant!

I don't know about the "jet-boat" in Victoria but if you want to see Orcas the "J" pod in the straits is worth seeing. We're headed out island to visit friends who run an inn.

After all the wait, 3 weeks and a day. NOAA's long range forecast is very safe for SE Alaska: Rain and cool. Hey, we're not crusing to Maui!

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter is a dancer on SS Shadow. Her name is Kristin and she was born and raised in Alaska. Tell her that her parents said Hi! Her Dad and I are going on the Sept. 17th cruise to Mexico. We need a little sun. This will be our first SilverSea cruise.

Archived