Star Question...hikini? jltpeke?

cruisetexas

Our group leaves next Sunday on the Star. Can you recommend a place to "park" the 80 year olds in the group? Because we have inside cabins, we'd like a place we can have the great-grandmas sit, preferrably with a window view that they can also people watch, and be smoke free. That way we can check in with them throughout the day and take a break with them, too. They will probably bring books to read, and this would be between breakfast and lunch for a few hours and again after lunch. It would be our meeting place. They're both very mobile and healthy, but I know they'll be looking for a place to relax somewhere near a window. One more question, when you eat in Versailles or Aqua do you ever leave a tip after dinner? I'm new to freestyle, and it just feels weird to me to have a lovely dinner and not leave a tip. Obviously, the gratuities at the end of the cruise is divided among the personnel, but it doesn't feel right to walk away from the dinner table without tipping the wait staff. Thanks.

Absolutely, positively, without a doubt... Get them to purchase the weeklong pass to the Barong Spa for $60. It is at the rear of the ship and has VERY comfortable chaise lounges with cloth cushions that face the floor to ceiling windows looking out the back of the ship. Never were all the chairs taken, and most of the time there were only a couple other people there. This was the best $60 I spent on the cruise. It is a perfect place to read a book. If you don't want to take my word for it, as soon as you get on board go and see for yourself.

Regarding tipping at end of dinner. It is not necessary, however, on a couple occasions we had outstanding service and gave the main waiter $20 personally.

Our group leaves next Sunday on the Star. Can you recommend a place to "park" the 80 year olds in the group? Because we have inside cabins, we'd like a place we can have the great-grandmas sit, preferrably with a window view that they can also people watch, and be smoke free. That way we can check in with them throughout the day and take a break with them, too. They will probably bring books to read, and this would be between breakfast and lunch for a few hours and again after lunch. It would be our meeting place. They're both very mobile and healthy, but I know they'll be looking for a place to relax somewhere near a window. One more question, when you eat in Versailles or Aqua do you ever leave a tip after dinner? I'm new to freestyle, and it just feels weird to me to have a lovely dinner and not leave a tip. Obviously, the gratuities at the end of the cruise is divided among the personnel, but it doesn't feel right to walk away from the dinner table without tipping the wait staff. Thanks.

Try the game room. There are many windows, tables for games, chairs for reading.We never saw it full in Mexico. The Observatory lounge is also good but may be full for viewing the beauty of Alaska.

You can leave a tip but of the $10 a day about 50% goes to the wait staff in the dining rooms we were told. Have a great cruise.:)

I would definitley try the game room first. Its (generally) quiet, smoke free and has big windows. While I love the spa area, the only way I'd pay $60 for it is if I was going to use the lap pool and hot tub. However, the game room may be used more frequently on an Alaskan cruise, in which case, the $60 may seem worth it (it does have fantastic lounge/viewing area).

Rachel

Thanks for all the great ideas! We probably won't do the $60 thing, only because with sixteen of us stopping by all the time it would be a little disruptive to the other passengers. I'll definitely take note on the other locations and make sure we get them situated and kept happy! You guys are great.

We've traveled extensively with my elderly parents, which includes twice on the Star. They really enjoy spending time in the game room, as others have mentioned. It's adjacent to a well-traveled hallway between the Spinnaker Lounge and the pool deck. It's also across the hall from the cinema area, and very near the library and the reading room.

The game room can get busy during at-sea days, but for the most part there are always tables available.

For more comfortable seating, I would recommend the Spinnaker Lounge, on the starboard side. (The port side is the smoking side.)

Another area that is kind of quiet during the day (except when there are art auctions) is the Carousel Bar. It is to the forward end of the photo gallery. A nice, quiet area with mostly comfortable seating.

During off-peak hours the Market Cafe is a good place to sit and have a nice view, with easy access to coffee, iced tea, water, snacks, etc.

So many options - you'll have no problems, I'm sure!

Hikini:D

Archived