I need a cure for jet lag

pamwinn

I've been home from Alaska since the 21st. It is just midnight in Alaska. However, it is 4 AM here. I'm going to try to go to sleep now and it'll probably take an hour. How can I get back into my time zone. This is horrible. I am completely out of sync. :(

Pam,

I had the same problem for about 2 weeks! I couldn't get to sleep until 1 am and had to be awake by 5:30 am for work. It drove me crazy. I am finally better now but it seemed to take forever after spending 2 weeks in Alaska to re-adjust to central time zone.

I have been doing long distance air travel for 40 years and "for me" I have found two ways to lessen jet lag:

1. Take melatonin. You can find it at your local pharmacy and it is the principal ingrediant in the commercial "jet lag products". It does not cure things but it helps.

2. Second is cutting down on alcohol and heavy foods prior to travel and setting my watch one to two hours away from my home time and working on that schedule the day before travel.

Again it doesn't do away with the lag but it helps me. There are a lot of cures. If you find one that works for you use it and be grateful you found it. As a last resort know that time will eventually cure the situation.

Good luck

Thanks for your replies. I may go to the pharmacy today and get some melatonin. Being a teacher and off work right now, I don't have the getting up in the AM issue to help me and I am starting to feel really bad.

My husband is a firm believer in "No Jet Lag" available at Trader Joe's and most drug stores. You take it on the plane like every two hours or so. Even if asleep, you should wake up to take it. Our family of 4 used it on a flight from Los Angeles to Istanbul a few years ago for a Med cruise and it was wonderful. We felt "no jet lag" on arrival. I have also heard it's important to drink more water than usual the day or two before a flight so you don't get dehydrated on the plane.

That being said it seemed to work great going to the cruise but not as well coming home. I seem to get quite exhausted after cruises, but of course that could just be the old homecoming letdown.

DH also loves Melatonin. Great for occasional sleep troubles. ;)

I think it's a little weird that you're still suffering from jetlag. Perhaps your sleep cycle is disturbed for some other reason? I used be a heavy international traveler and one of the most important things you can do to get adjusted is get a lot of exposure to daylight. This will naturally help your body get on a normal cycle. Also try getting some exercise outside, maybe go for a walk. Also, stop thinking about what time it anywhere but where you are. That helps too!

Well, I know part of it has to do with getting a temporary crown put on the day after we got back home. It gave me quite a toothache and kept me up quite a bit. But now, the problem is I am simply living in a different time zone. It is true that I haven't been out in the sun much. I am in grad school and have been frantically trying to catch up since the cruise. Of course it has rained torrentially every single day since we returned and that hasn't encouraged me to get out. I am now caught up, my tooth doesn't hurt, and the sun is temporarily shining so maybe I can start adjusting.

Archived