Folded Wheelchair On Tender?

123alaskago

I Have Requested A Wheelchair From Special Services On The Summit. My 85 Year Old Mother Can Walk But Tires So I Would Like To Take The Chair On Days We Are Tendered In Sitka And Icypoint. Is That Possible? Thanks In Advance For Any Tips On An Alaska Cruise:)

If it is not too rough, they will take her in the tender. All the cruise lines say this for anyone with a disability. They can require her to stay on the ship at a tender port if it is too rough. Just be sure you make alternative plans if this occurs, and if you book shore excursions, either privately or through the ship, be sure you can get refunds if this occurs.

I Have Requested A Wheelchair From Special Services On The Summit. My 85 Year Old Mother Can Walk But Tires So I Would Like To Take The Chair On Days We Are Tendered In Sitka And Icypoint. Is That Possible? Thanks In Advance For Any Tips On An Alaska Cruise:)

Be sure and check with the cruise line. Usually the wheelchairs are for use only on the ship. You can rent a chair to take into the ports from a company that specializes in that.

When you request a chair from the cruise line it is normally only for boarding and disembarking not for use on board (much like at airports). Plus these are the heavy ones and most are not in good condition. I would advise that you rent one for on board from either Care Vacations or Scoot-Around. They will deliver it to your cabin and will pick it up there so you do not have to do anything.

I recently took my mother same age on a cruise. I purchased a companion wheel chair for 155.OO no shipping from a web site..it weights 19 lbs and I recevied it in 3 days...we used it only for getting on and off the ship and in the airport but what a life saver for her.

It would work perfect if you took it on a tender. My Mom chose not to get off at the ports but if she would have it would have worked great...also in the airport we had someone waiting at the gate to assist us and they took our party a back way avoiding the crowds...It pays to have your own.

One last comment, I really had to fight my Mom to agree with this, I told her it would make our vacation more enjoyable if she would accept the fact she would have a chair she could sit in anywhere , also if she were injured we would have a chair available for her....

Another thing too....by using the chair she and one person were able to go through the handicapped line, whether in the airport or ship boarding...we didn't even think about this when getting the chair. Buy your own... cheaper than renting and easier than using an extra from the ship:) then you'll have control.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP! I TALKED TO "ERIC" AT SUMMIT SPECIAL NEEDS DEPT. HE ASSURED ME WE COULD TAKE THE CHAIR OFF THE BOAT BUT SINCE READING THIS I WILL LOOK INTO BUYING OUR OWN.

one thought when you say that special needs assured you that you would be able to take the ship's wheelchair off the ship. what they tell you in special needs and what the medical department tells you on the ship may be very different. most cruise lines now do not permit the ship's chairs to be taken off for liability concerns. the chair belongs to them, and if it should be deficient in some way and result in an accident to the passenger, the cruise line could be held liable. it is risky to say the least

Archived