Pride of Hawaii 9174 aft ~ a good choice?

cbny

We will be going on the PoH next month and are booked into 9174 which is a BA balcony cabin on the back of the ship.

First of all, I need to know whether the balcony is covered. I didn't think to ask about that at the time of booking, and sun can be a problem for me.

Also, how is the view from the back? I know we will be doing some very scenic touring, particularly of the NaPali coast of Kauai, and while we don't intend to spend a whole lot of time there, I hope we will have a nice view from our cabin.

Finally, I am curious about how noisy that location is. I am not too worried, but I know it can be a factor.

Thanks in advance for your advice. It is wonderful that there are so many knowledgeable and experienced cruisers here who are willing to share their thoughts.

Happy cruising to all!

Carrie

Judging from some of the pictures of the aft of the ship, there is a small area of the balcony that is not covered. This is due to the tiered design of the aft cabins of the ship. So there's less coverage than what you'd get with a regular balcony (which is full coverage) on the sides of the ship, but there is coverage there. Also, the aft balconies tend to be narrower but deeper so that might help. Again because of the tiered design and the fact that it's right behind the smokestack, you may find that soot from the ship's exhaust may accumulate on your balcony furniture, just be sure to check before you sit down. I think this is common of most aft cabins on any ship, but I may ebe wrong. Better safe than sorry.

On the plus side, aft balconies are probably some of the most desirable cabins onboard a cruise ship due to their 180 degree panoramic view. You should be able to see the Na Pali Coast as the ship sails past although you could always lean over the rail to see what the ship is currently passing by. (BTW - the Na Pali Coast will be on the port side as we sail by).

These cabins are also more isolated from passenger/hallway noise as only people who have cabins there tend to travel down to the back of the hallway. You really shouldn't hear any harsh noises from the engines as this is a very new ship and because it uses azipods although you will hear the churning water of the wake (but most people find that relaxing).

In addition, many people on her sister ships have mentioned that there is a smell of fresh baked bread in the afternoon (although this might make you hungry even though you just ate ;) ).

Here's an aft shot of the ship: Pic

Your particular balcony is the one which looks to have a bluish rectangle in it. (I donno what that is).

Hope to see you onboard!

Rick,

Thanks so much for the information, as well as for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. It was also great to see the picture showing our cabin's position on the ship. Thanks for supplying the link.

I was hoping that the cabin was a good choice, but never having been in an aft balcony cabin on a ship, I really wasn't sure what the pros and cons were. Now, I have a much better idea, and I think it's going to be great (particularly with the panoramic view you described).

On another note, I am so happy to see that you have joined our Roll Call. I look forward to meeting you and the rest of your party of 10 on board. (Hope you can get your parents, siblings, uncle and aunts to come to our get-together, too.)

In the meantime, see you online. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Carrie

Archived