Would a Cozumel map be useful? Suncreen suggestions please?

kobe

Hello,

Just wondering - would it be helpful to have a map of Cozumel or is that totally unneccessary? I found a good site to order one but I don't know if we would really use it. We're likely heading to Paradise Beach for the day but you never know....

Also - does anyone have any favorite sunscreen suggestions? Most of our family burns really easily regardless of what we use... that red hair and light skin.

Thanks for your help.

If you do your research online ahead of time a map isnt really needed. Besides after you arrive--im sue if you find a tourist center you can get a free one.

I've been to Cozumel half a dozen times and ordered the map anyway. It's a useful tool and has great info. I think it was 7.50 and they send it to you for your approval. If you like it send them the money, if you don't send the map back.:)

As far as sunscreen goes, try Bullfrog brand sunscreen. Get the SPF 36 gel, but not the quick dry gel. It creates a slightly shinny cast to the skin so you can see when it is wearing off. It's extremely waterproof and my kids have NEVER burned using it. We have tried every brand known to man kind, and this is the only one that works every time!!!!!

By the way, it's sometimes hard to find Bullfrog, but it's worth it when you find it. Check your local drug stores, or surf shops if there are any near you (I didn't see where you live).

1 thing alot of people do not do with sunscreen is put it on at least 30 minutes before you are in the sun. If you burn real easy I would get 50 spf and apply it before you leave your cabin and let in soak in real good before you start to sweat. Let your skin absorb it so you have a good base. Then just keep applying it as needed, like after swimming or lots of sweating. Best of luck and enjoy your cruise burn free

The map for us is good even though we're familiar with the island. We rent 3 jeeps and plan our time to do what we want but the map helps in case we miss something we'd like to do or see and just simply for planning. It's just a quick reference.

I've played alot of beach volleyball and will only use CopperTone Sport. I've tried all the others and only CopperTone Sport will withstand the sweating and contact with the sand and other players. I use SPF 30 and have never burned (very light skinned) but I believe it is also available in SPF 45. BTW, as previously stated, application 30 minutes before going out into the sun is a must.

We had such a great time on our jeep tour of the island. Stopped at many of the beach bars. Used the map from the cancunmap.com website. We buy the full insurance whenever we rent in Mexico. The jeep rental through Hertz was about $72 with the full insurance. I have pictures of our day at my website. Will definately do this again in Cozumel, but spend more time at Chen Rio.

PLEASE PLEASE remember that if you are going to be snorkeling especially near coral reef, you should use a natural "eco-safe" sunscreen. There is a wide variety available at healthfood or vitamin stores. Normal sunscreen can be dangerous for the ocean life and the coral.

This is what we used. I am VERY fairskinned (i'll burn badly after 10 mins in the sun with no sunscreen) and didnt get burned at all while I was in Cancun.

http://www.smartshield.com

izzyvet said it best.

Jeep rental in Cozumel when last there was $65 but varies. With the map we didn't forget any place we wanted to go and didn't have enough time for all. Problem is the places we stopped we want to go to again.

There was an accident with one of the jeeps in another party but seems everyting turned out alright. They were on the ship later so it must have been ok. However the scooters are another thing. Everything we read said to stay away from them. Lots of accidents and lots of injuries.

If you rent a jeep you'll have a blast.

:)

mirrajay - thanks so much for your info. about sunscreen that is safe for people and their aquatic environment. Mexico has worked very hard to protect their eco-parks (Chankanaab, Xel-Ha, Xcaret, Xpu-Ha, etc.) , and I appreciate your input and link.

I am a child care provider in sunny California. A few years ago, I discovered Coppertone Sport RUB FREE (the rub free part is the important part). It is AWESOME! It sprays right on - evenly - and is not oily, greasy, sticky, and dries immediately. I have not have a child burn while using this spray!!! And I have some pretty fair skinned children. For their faces, I use a high SPF sunscreen stick. (Sunblocks work best - key word.) There are even a few products for the hair and scalp that I keep on hand for my fairest children and my daughter. You will not regret the Rub Free spray!!!!!!

As for a map, we were in Cozomel last year and it would be pretty hard to get lost there. The island is not very big and it basically has one major road to get around the whole island. In "town" the roads are also easy to navigate and figure out. Also, at the car rental place right at the port we were given an island map - that we never used.

Jen (Cruising to Alaska in less than 4 weeks!!!!!!)

Archived