Did you get the cabin you wanted?

Did RCI call with news the cabin you want is available?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Did RCI call with news the cabin you want is available?

• Yes, they have called me to let me know it's available
    • No, I never received a call
    • I call them regularly even though I am waitlisted
    • I think the whole "wait list" thing is a sham

I'm curious.....

How many people that have put themselves on a wait list for a particular cabin with RCI have actually been contacted by RCI and told that the cabin has become available????

When we initially booked out b2b, I requested we have the same cabin for the second week, as it was not available. We booked thru C&A, RCCL Rep. A couple of months ago, I called them to see if we had gotten our requested cabin and was informed that we were never waitlisted. They would waitlist us then.

When I just read recently on CC that our cabin was available, due to the fact that the poster had to cancel and give it up, I called RCCL, and got the cabin. I truly believe had the poster not informed us, someone else would have that cabin. We are so grateful to them as our dream vacation has come true! I believe on Cruise Critic, we are one big family, helping each other with whatever questions we have and providing help to one another.

I think maybe RCCL doesn't have the manpower or computer software to waitlist and or keep up with those requests, and need to improve in this area, based on my experience and the poll results.

HAPPY SAILING ALL!

The waitlist system is computerized and is automatic. If you are the #1 person on the waitlist and your preferred cabin becomes available, the computer will automatically assign you the cabin you were waitlisted for almost immediately when it receives the cabin in question back into it's inventory. I've seen it in action myself! It's pretty cool when it actually works! Now, if you are NOT the first person on the waitlist, you will NOT be getting that cabin unless those passengers prior to you on the waitlist turn down the cabin.

I have not been successful getting a specific cabin I requested, but I only tried that twice and assume the original booker never cancelled, or as Bonnie stated, I wasn't the first on the waitlist.

I have been booked in a D-1 class and requested a JS when available and my TA did receive a call as soon as one opened up. This is not as "automatic" as requesting the specific cabin because I did get the option of accepting or turning it down, based on cabin location. I mostly use a wonderful TA, however, so am not sure how much is her doing and how much is RCCL's contacting her...

Just wanted to point out that the "waitlist" system I am referring to is when you are selecting a specific cabin number. If you are just hoping for a higher category to open up I'm not sure how they keep track of that. I'm sure it varies from TA to TA. A good TA would certainly keep an eye out and let you know! If it was me, I would probably keep my own eye out and if I saw what I wanted, grab it then work on getting it transferred to my booking.

Thanks for the responses.

Bonnie - I am referring to specific cabins rather than categories. I thought it would be interesting to see how many people have been called when they had been waitlisted.

Under "my cruises" I cannot access my Radiance cruise because I am waitlisted - so I get a message saying "this reservation is auto-waitlisted and cannot be modified" - sounds pretty legit to me?

Just wanted to point out that the "waitlist" system I am referring to is when you are selecting a specific cabin number. If you are just hoping for a higher category to open up I'm not sure how they keep track of that. I'm sure it varies from TA to TA. A good TA would certainly keep an eye out and let you know! If it was me, I would probably keep my own eye out and if I saw what I wanted, grab it then work on getting it transferred to my booking.

Apparently not very well..............

We are sailing on the Jewel on March 24th..........when we attempted to book 11 months in advance they told us there were no jr. suites......so we booked a Grand suite and requested they call us or put us on a waiting list for a jr. suite..........2 months later I was checking the RC website and jr. suites were showing up...........not one call to our ta from RC..........by the time I got to the ta.......they were booked by somebody else......3 days later more jr. suites became available.........again no call to ta......we did this time finally secure a jr. suite......

Bonnie is right...........I did watch myself..........and you do need to watch........at least in our case, my ta never got a call from RC......and I don't expect my ta to check the RC website every minute of everyday just waiting for something to open up.

Not upset with RC...........$hi_ happens.........I booked 3 more RC cruises since then.........:)

Since the waitlisting process for specific cabins is automated, it is unlikely that any human even notices it when it happens unless they were specifically checking on a regular basis. I would hope that a good TA WOULD be checking on it and would give you a call when they noticed the updated cabin change. I don't think the computer system itself does any sort of notification though. So, if your TA isn't watching for it (or your RCCL rep) then it could go unnoticed for a while. I would not count on being notified, but I WOULD keep checking myself just to ease my own mind! :eek:

ckrobyn, your reservation waitlisting sounds pretty "legit" to me too! Do you know if you are #1 on the waitlist? Also, which cabins do you currently hold for your B2B? 1690 then 1694? Even if your waitlist doesn't work out, don't sweat it too much. We had friends in 1690 (when we were in 1688) and it was a very spacious category D1! Definitely more room than a side D1! And the balcony, as you know, is HUGE! 1690's balcony is almost as large as 1694's! Your move to cabin 1694 for week #2 will be easy too! Just a few steps away! :D

I would probably keep my own eye out and if I saw what I wanted, grab it then work on getting it transferred to my booking.

Is there an online way to monitor these cabin openings/changes, or do you just have to be persistent and call RCI?

Since the waitlisting process for specific cabins is automated, it is unlikely that any human even notices it when it happens unless they were specifically checking on a regular basis. I would hope that a good TA WOULD be checking on it and would give you a call when they noticed the updated cabin change. I don't think the computer system itself does any sort of notification though. So, if your TA isn't watching for it (or your RCCL rep) then it could go unnoticed for a while. I would not count on being notified, but I WOULD keep checking myself just to ease my own mind! :eek:

ckrobyn, your reservation waitlisting sounds pretty "legit" to me too! Do you know if you are #1 on the waitlist? Also, which cabins do you currently hold for your B2B? 1690 then 1694? Even if your waitlist doesn't work out, don't sweat it too much. We had friends in 1690 (when we were in 1688) and it was a very spacious category D1! Definitely more room than a side D1! And the balcony, as you know, is HUGE! 1690's balcony is almost as large as 1694's! Your move to cabin 1694 for week #2 will be easy too! Just a few steps away! :D

Bonnie -

You're right, we have 1690 for week 1 and 1694 for week 2. I know you keep telling me that the D1 will be fine for the 3 of us- but I wouldn't be me if I didn't fret about it for the next 6 months! I'm waitlisted for 1694, and if I don't end up with it week 1 - I was meant to try the D1 :D

Thanks for all the amazing information you provide Bonnie, I ( and many others!) appreciate it!

Archived