Short 4 day QE2 cruise 13 Oct, is it worth doing?

Oslo Dutch

I ahve received an offer for a weekend trip on QE2 in October which includes a day at sea and a day in Guernsey.

Is it worth doing? What kind of public will the be on board? Is it very different than a regular cruise?

Reint

We did the same taster in 2004 and loved it so much it was the reason for booking our forthcoming cruise(s) - looks like we'll be coming to visit your home town in fact.

We didn't get to visit Geurnsey due to high winds, the captain decided it would be unsafe to run the tender operation. However, I was just as happy to spend the second day on board (I even had lunch with a very nice stranger!), and I hope to see Guensey this time round :cool:

While I can't compare this with any regular cruise I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

Funny you should ask that. It really depends as some people don't like the short cruises nor believe the same type of people take them that would do a long cruise. Although the short cruises do have an advantage - they are great for first timers who want to test the waters so to speak and they are also great for more experienced cruisers who just want a short escape from the daily routine if they so can afford it.

I say go for it if there is anything being offered that satisfies you. You almost always get one formal night on a four day cruise - anything shorter you usually don't. You will be sampling a small amount of everything offered on the longer cruises.

Don't laugh. I must be setting a record as being a Canadian and going all the way over to the UK just for a 5 day cruise in August 2007 on the QE2. I'm living proof someone will go anywhere no matter how long or short for a trip. Although I do plan to stay on in Europe for a bit after to justify the trip over the pond. So don't look at me to discourage you from going. he he he

Reint,

How can ANY cruise, with Guernsey on the itinerary not be worth doing?;)

Peter

PS - I suspect the crowd will be different from the crossing, but more similar to your Norwegian cruise - what differences did you observe with that?

Reint,

How can ANY cruise, with Guernsey on the itinerary not be worth doing?;)

Peter

PS - I suspect the crowd will be different from the crossing, but more similar to your Norwegian cruise - what differences did you observe with that?

Guernsey is also where I'll be stopping next year :) - that is, if the sea is calm enough to allow the tendering.

As for the crowd, I think short cruises tend to consist mainly of locals as not many will travel long distances just for a few days. So, I'm thinking the average Brit or some countries nearby.

I think short cruises tend to consist mainly of locals as not many will travel long distances just for a few days. So, I'm thinking the average Brit or some countries nearby.

I'd agree - it's not worth travelling a long way for a few nights (unless you're a mad Canadian:D ). We did a five nighter in May and there were a lot of seasoned cruisers on board. The whole trip seemed much longer than its five nights.

Well, thank you for your replies, I've booked it! A QE2 trip to Guensey seems to be irresistable after all! :)

This trip will be nice getaway combined with a visit to London.

I have treated myself to a QG single stateroom cabin, but have not been assigned a cabin number yet.

What are the QG staterooms like? Never travelled in the Queens Grill before. Suggestions, advice etc welcome.

Reint

What are the QG staterooms like? Never travelled in the Queens Grill before. Suggestions, advice etc welcome.

Reint

Oslo Dutch

Well the roomiest ones are 8209/8210 on Boat deck - but they can be noisy as they look out onto the wraparound deck.

The next best ones IMHO are 1032/1035 which come in at 275 sq ft.

The service you will find should be excellent - it was on our three day cruise a couple of weeks ago.

Enjoy!

Andhow

My TA from the Netherlands contacted me and told me I have a QG guarantee. I have given her a preference for above mentioned cabin numbers but it will not be known until the documents are issued.

So just wait and see I suppose.

What are the dresscodes on the short cruises like this? What I remember from previous QE2 cruises is that even in the Mauretania it was pretty formal all the time.

Reint

I am also interested in the dress code in this cruise. I would like to have the sea day a formal night. Can I expect that?

Yes you can, when we went on our 3 nighter 1st and 3rd nights were informal and the second night was formal.

Well, thank you for your replies, I've booked it! A QE2 trip to Guensey seems to be irresistable after all! :)

This trip will be nice getaway combined with a visit to London.

I have treated myself to a QG single stateroom cabin, but have not been assigned a cabin number yet.

Reint

Oslo, I had 2087 once and found it very dark and a bit depressing. This cabin and its opposite, 2084, have an alcove where the bed is located. The single porthole is at the end of a narrow recess, leaving the main cabin area somewhat dark. 2070 and 2063 are better choices. The one deck singles are similar to 2087 and 2084, dark. The Boat Deck singles are prone to noise from the Grand Lounge. Alot of traffic up there.

Good Luck & Happy Sailing!

Archived