I don't fly but want to do Europe

andio2of5

Anybody have any experience in getting to Europe from US, cruise while in Europe and then getting back to US....all without getting onto a plane?? Can't quite afford the time or $$$$ right now to do the 128 day "round the world" :(

Thanks, any suggestion will be appreciated.

Cunard does frequent trips to and from Europe. You can book over and then either train to the Continent or connect to another ship, and when ready to come back, take a ship back. Its not inexpensive though...THE QM takes 5 days each way.

You might consider going one way on one of the repositioning cruises. These are great deals and happen in the spring and fall. We took RCLs Brilliance last spring. Of course, we flew back. But, you could do your thing in Europe and come back on the QE2, which sales back and forth fairly regularly.

When in Europe, I would recommend traveling by land. It's just not fair to a city like Rome to spend a few hours there. It took us a solid 8 days just to see everything in the old part of the city -- no side trips. And most of the cities visited by the cruise ships are worthy of days, not hours, of experiencing. You might look into a railpass -- trains in Europe are fast and frequent. It's a good way to get around easily.

If you do plan your trip this way, you might want to arrange to store the extra clothes cruises require and travel with just one bag of carry-on variety while in Europe. Travel light and you'll travel much happier.

You know, I think I just talked myself into planning a trip like this for myself and DH.:p

You might consider going one way on one of the repositioning cruises. These are great deals and happen in the spring and fall. We took RCLs Brilliance last spring. Of course, we flew back. But, you could do your thing in Europe and come back on the QE2, which sales back and forth fairly regularly.

When in Europe, I would recommend traveling by land. It's just not fair to a city like Rome to spend a few hours there. It took us a solid 8 days just to see everything in the old part of the city -- no side trips. And most of the cities visited by the cruise ships are worthy of days, not hours, of experiencing. You might look into a railpass -- trains in Europe are fast and frequent. It's a good way to get around easily.

If you do plan your trip this way, you might want to arrange to store the extra clothes cruises require and travel with just one bag of carry-on variety while in Europe. Travel light and you'll travel much happier.

You might find this interesting -- on our transatlantic repositioning cruise there were a number of people who wer using the cruise as an alternitive to air travel to get to their homes in Europe. The cost of the 14 day cruise was so close to the cost of a plane ticket, they figured why not have a great trip instead of spending long hours crammed into a tin can. You aversion to flying might not actually cost you much more -- just add to your enjoyment!

You know, I think I just talked myself into planning a trip like this for myself and DH.:p

Anybody have any experience in getting to Europe from US, cruise while in Europe and then getting back to US....all without getting onto a plane?? Can't quite afford the time or $$$$ right now to do the 128 day "round the world" :(

Thanks, any suggestion will be appreciated.

Looks like a cross-country drive (and back) and three cruises (two TAs and a Europe) is the best, if only, option. And I bet that encroaches on the money and time restrictions you mention so I don't know if its worth it. If you do decide to do it, it would make a heck of a trip report:D .

Not that I know about your aversion to flying, but I do know that Europe is worth trying to overcome it:o

You could always do a panama canal cruise from L.A to FL, then take a repo. to europe, take a cruise in europe, then take the QM2 back, then take another Panama cruise back to LA or you could always take the train across the states...

Just throwing out ideas. :D

You could always do a panama canal cruise from L.A to FL, then take a repo. to europe, take a cruise in europe, then take the QM2 back, then take another Panama cruise back to LA or you could always take the train across the states...

Just throwing out ideas. :D

Let's see --

LA -FL 14 days

FL to Europe 10 days

Europe Cruise 12 days

Eur back to FL - 7 days

FL - LA - 14 days

plus times in between ships

figure more than 2 months !!!!

I have the same problem only in reverse. I would love to travel to America and then take a Caribbean cruise from say New York. Seems the only way is to sail QM2. How come they have the monopoly on transatlantic cruises and that no other company offers this service? Of course all this would cost a fortune so until my lottery numbers come up it is only a dream and I have to be satisfied with European cruises departing from Southampton. (I sail next Friday). Of all the phobia's to have, why did it have to be of flying :mad:

I can totally relate to those afraid of flying.....as flying simply terrifies me.

I had a VERY turbulent flight from Las Vegas to NYC, which only made it worse....

I am trying to figure out a way to go from NYC (where I live) to the Caribbean without having to fly....

and also being able to stay on various islands for more than one day.

I actually think I've found a way to do this.

:)

After my post, I did a quick search and found a Century Celebrity leaving from Miami on Apr. 26 and winding up in London. And then a return on QM2 on May 18 (London to NYC). That would give us 9 days to explore a part of England we haven't seen before. We're talking it over right now.

It winds up being almost a month long holiday, but that's a lot shorter than 128 days for your round-the-world trip.

Since the M2 goes back and forth every other week, you could add to your trip in roughly 14 day increments.

As for crossing the country (I failed to notice that), there's always trains.

If the flying thing is a phobia, maybe it would be easier and cheaper to get conditioning therapy;)

I absolutely hate flying. I make sure to have a good book and try to disappear into the plot. It helps some.

Yes, I have developed an aversion to flying.... years ago, we were on a horrible flight to Orlando... we were on the last plane to land before they shut the airport down (a hurricane was hot on our trail). We went up and down several times before actually touching the runway. I was ready to kiss the ground and spent the entire vacation trying to convince my DH that it really wouldn't be that bad to rent a car and drive back to San Jose :) . That didn't work, so I had to bite the bullet and get back on a plane for one last time. After that, I decided that it just wasn't worth the stress that I go thru just thinking of getting on one of those big planes again.

Hence, Amtrak has become my friend (I would be a super elite class if they had such a thing) and we enjoy the "adventure" of every trip on the rails. And yes, we have taken it to FLL for the Panama thru to SF.

SeaBunny...that sounds like a great itinery for the Europe trip and just the kind of thing that I'm looking for. Thanks

Andi

I'm not a fan of flying either, but "bite the bullet" and do it when necessary.

I also am a big Amtrak fan, and have done several trans-continentals - but the food has deteriorated even more this past year, and now is barely palatable. Take a picnic basket with food!

Several suggestions above would work for getting to Europe (and back), but you will be S.O.L. if you ever decide to do Australia/New Zealand and many parts of Asia!

This may be an unpopular viewpoint, but I feel compelled to give it. I too have a fear of flying (i've had some harrowing flights myself), but I still get on a plane about 3-4 times a year for vacations, weddings, etc. You miss too much of what life has to offer by not flying. If you are really afraid, doctors can give you prescriptions for anti-anxiety meds. They do really work - you just have to take them 1.5-2 hours before your flight. On my last trip, from the US east coast to Maui, I took Ambien and slept 3/4 of the way. I know "meds" aren't a popular things to talk about, but it sure beats being beholden to an irrational fear... because though turbulence is scary, it's NOT a safety issue. It is a comfort issue.

Besides, on a transatlantic crossing, you can encounter seas so rough that it will make airplane turbulence feel like mere potholes in a road. Anyone remember the video the woman on the transatlantic crossing on RCI posted here last year? She woke up to 30-foot seas. I don't know... I just think on balance you're best to confront the fear rather than be held hostage by it. Like I said, probably an unpopular viewpoint, but you could go bankrupt purchasing the type of trip you're talking about!

You can have rough seas anywhere. Because the Atlantic is a larger body of water, and you spend more time crossing it that you do hopping from port to port, you might encounter high seas at some point.

On our trans-Atlantic last spring, there were nine fot seas the first day and a half. All this meant is that you had a little trouble walking in a straight line. Not a lot, just some. I didn't hear of anyone getting seasick.

After that, the Atlantic as like a pond.

These large ships can handle rough seas very well. And captains have the communications tools to avoid stormy areas. Our captain actually changed his course quite a bit to avoid a major storm system around Bermuda. He was apologizing for the roughness, but I've felt worse in the Caribbean around Grenada.

Enjoy your trip. Maybe we'll meet up in the middle of the Atlantic:D

This may be an unpopular viewpoint, but I feel compelled to give it.

Unpopular or not, your points are well taken. I too absolutely hate to fly, and talk my way through it every time.

My best self given thought is that I drive a car almost every day, and am in much more danger than on a plane. (Or, at least that is what the statistics claim!):)

It works long enough to at least get me into the plane, and once aboard, I'm a prisoner, and so must go along with whatever! :eek:

Archived