Alaska, layers???

damomom

We are leaving on the Westerdam in a week for Alaska. I have read to wear layers. I have checked ave. temps and feel it is not all that cold. Our family is happy in shorts and a long sleeved t-shirt when it is in the mid-50's. I think I may overpack if we have multiple layers. I understand the need for a waterproof jacket, but wonder if we could just wear it over a t-shirt and be comfortable.

I would appreciate any input.

We are leaving on the Westerdam in a week for Alaska. I have read to wear layers. I have checked ave. temps and feel it is not all that cold. Our family is happy in shorts and a long sleeved t-shirt when it is in the mid-50's. I think I may overpack if we have multiple layers. I understand the need for a waterproof jacket, but wonder if we could just wear it over a t-shirt and be comfortable.

I would appreciate any input.

That is a really hard question and depends a lot on weather the week you are there. We did Alaska a couple of years ago in late June and planned for cool weather not cold. I would guess the temps were in the 60s so shorts and t-shirsts with a rain jacket were just fine for us while others were so bundled up it reminded me of when we are having blizzard conditions. I have to say we laughed at them especially the ones with the fur trimmed hoods (hoods up too!!!). It was quite wet our week too but again that just depends. That same year our next door neighbor went in Early May and she reported sunny 80 degree weather.

If you are unsure just throw in one light weight sweater or fleece. We did buy DS a really cute fleece outer wear pull over jacket w/ the Alsaka logo for about $25 so if you get cold you can pick up something in port.

I live in Alaska so I understand about wearing shorts when most people wouldn't dream of it. That being said, when we took our cruise I only put on my shorts when I went to the gym. The rest of the time I had on capris or jeans. (Our port days were quite cool, you may want shorts for yours depending on the weather that day) For our family we mostly wore short sleeve or sleevless shirts (inside the ship was really warm) a polar fleece jacket and rain coat when needed outside. It is quite cool on the water. The wind from the ships motion brings makes it seem much cooler than the temp would indicate. Hope it helps.

Thanks for your replies. I think we should be fine.

Especially good to know that it feels colder on the water. I am sure I will be in jeans or capri's while the rest of my family may be in shorts. Glad they have a reasonable laundry service.

I would guess the temps were in the 60s so shorts and t-shirsts with a rain jacket were just fine for us while others were so bundled up it reminded me of when we are having blizzard conditions. I have to say we laughed at them especially the ones with the fur trimmed hoods (hoods up too!!!).

We were there in late July, 2004. It was cool but the only day we really bundled up was the day we went into Glacier Bay. I am not ashamed to admit that I had on my mittens, ear muffs and long johns. I wished I had brought my nose mitten. LOL Have a great time!!!

It was very cold in Glacier Bay and if you want to stand outside to view the ic you'll need some clothes. It was a very sunny day but I had a long sleeve sweater, a sweatshirt and a jacket, jeans, gloves and a hat!! One of the days going home it was so cold you could not walk the deck and if you wanted to sit outside several times I needed that blanket! I'd be prepared with at least one pair of long pants. The day we were in Juneau itw as very warm and I wished I had shorts with me. I was very comfortable all week in jeans. I was there the 2nd week of June. Have a great time!!

Archived