Anyone back from Coral Princess

mumom95

Just wandering if anyone has returned from the Coral Princess in Alaska this summer. How was the ship. Is there anything that is a must do or see (or eat :) ) on the ship? How was the overall experience?

Half way back thanks to United, which also managed to completely drop the ball on our flight out as well, which cost us 24 hours of Vancouver time.

Coral: We had a great time. I would list the trips ashore as the things not to be missed. Specifically, we walked the town/hiked/ saw Totem Bight in Ketchikan, did the most fantastic whale watch ever in Juneau and hiked Mendenhall (plus Mt. Roberts tram), WP rail and Chilkoot hike and float in Skagway.

Glacier Bay and College Fiords were great (the latter perhaps even better than the former. The abosolute key to me was the "secret" forward viewing on Baja and Carribe decks that we knew about b/c of these boards. Our C deck room was just down from there and it was never crowded, even in Glacier Bay (15 people max, mostly empty).

Anytime food was fine, not spectacular. Tables 31 and 32 are in the back with a view and seat 6, so you can request them. Pizza was very good as advertised. Lido was solid as well, particularly for breakfast. Indoor pool is very nice so bring a swimsuit. Kids liked the minigolf (some *&$^%^# teens trashed it one day-- very pathetic imo). Kids also like the kids club but I would say I was overwhelmed by it-- adequate though.

Hmm... "United screwed up" - I've experinced that this summer. We arrived at Jacksonville FL at 6:10a for a 7:30a United flight to Vancouver via Chicago, when we encountered a line out the door that wasn't moving. Turns out that the United supervisor hadn't showed up that morning, and nobody else had keys to the United stuff at the airport. Anybody who had to see a ticket agent (like us, who were going to an "international" location) was out of luck. Another supervisor was called in, but we didn't reach the ticket counter until after 10:00a. We were eventually routed through Houston on Continental, but didn't get into Vancouver until 1a - over 12 hours later that original arrival time.

The worst part was that the ticket agents in Jacksonville weren't telling anybody anything; when people in line started asking questions that they didn't want to answer, they called to airport police out to protect them from "air rage".

United - never again.

thanks for the review-- we will be on the Coral for 7/31 north sailing. I have read the boards alot but have not come accross the viewing area on the caribe deck--our minisuite is on the same deck-- can you give me more info & opinion if we would be better off viewing from suite balcony (we are near the aft-port side) or from the secret forward viewing area... or possbly both.

I was also on the Island (sister ship) last year & can't recall if we found this viewing area.

THANKS for the info!--

sorry for the flight delay-- luckily you planned to come in early-- last year we came in day of-- made be a little nervous-- this year we are going day before-- but we are on westcoast

Anytime food was fine, not spectacular. Tables 31 and 32 are in the back with a view and seat 6, so you can request them.

This will be my first time doing the anytime dining plan- is there a particular dining room you always go to, or are there choices? Are these tables (31 and 32) in any particular dining room? Any hints- do we need to make reservations for a particular time the day before, or that morning, or do you just show up? Are you locked into the anytime dining plan, or can you eat in an early or late seating if you wish?

Thanks,

Dawn

We did personal choice last year on Island princess-- worked well for us-- would suggest making reservation as early as possible if you have specific times you want (ie 1st day of cruise-- for as many nights as you know what time you would want to eat based on port days/excursions/Glacier Bay etc.) We did notice that those that did not have reservations sometimes had up to 30 minute wait ( not sure how often this occurred or if it was longer at times--we just heard some complaints and also the staff telling people how long of a wait when we were exiting the dining room). The bottom dining room at that time was personal choice & the upper floor was traditional seating-- we were able to request specific tables -- to be with others -- or alone-- and I think we had reservations all but one time and the reservations were made anywhere from day of to 5 days in advance, with reservations we never had a wait to be seated & the day without a reservation we went right when they opened so no problem as well. I think once or twice we called to let them know we were running 15-30 minutes late & again no problem

Correct. We ate early and never had a wait except for one night when we arrived later. The anytime dining still accepts reservations of time and table and the tables that I referenced are in the anytime dining room (one floor below the traditional....I think it was Bordeaux and the traditional was Provence). We never made reservations but I'm pretty sure you can do it with the maitre' de on the first night when you show up. Be sure to ask for what you want even if you dont have reservations and they likely will work to accomodate you.

I just got back from the Coral last week.

I was very impressed with how clean and new it seemed.

We saw the comedian Sarge, perform and he was very funny. Everyone raved about him for days.

I found out about the foward outside decks towards the end of the cruise but in time to go there to see the last galaciers.

We had a good view from our room but we got a much more wide open wide angle view from the forward deck.

Plus we could see the captain and the pilot at the controls.

They actually had a toy stuffed grizzly bear head on the front of the helm so that the captain could say he saw a bear.

The aft or rear deck was also good depending on which way the ship was facing.

Plus both areas had lounge chairs which the stateroom balconies didn't.

We would go there for short periods as it was a little cold. 40's.

In our stateroom we could keep the glass doors open and sit on the bed or in chairs and still be quite warm. Plus the naturalist is on the TV station with the bridge camera view. You can only hear the naturalist explain the views and point out animals on the the public outside decks or in the stateroom TV.

We also did the pottery. It was fun and we took home a souvenir that we actually made. Say hi to Russ and George for us. Mention my name and they'll remember us.:)

Archived