train- Livorno to Florence

I notice that the train stops in Pisa on the way there and back. If we purchase the round trip from Livorno to Florence, can we get off in Pisa and then get back on on a later train to return to Livorno? Or do you need to purchase separate tickets?

I'd also like to purchase tickets in advance, what if we miss the reserved train time, can we just take the next one?

Yes, you can purchase a round trip train ticket from Livorno to Florence, get off at Pisa for a visit, and then board a later train to continue on to Florence (or back to Livorno if you stop on your return trip). That's exactly what we did last month. When you buy your ticket, it is not for a specific time -- you can board any train. Just be sure to validate (stamp) your ticket right before boarding by inserting it in the yellow or orange machine. (If you're not sure where it is or what to do, just watch other people.) Once your ticket is validated, there is a certain time period that it is good for. Conductors only occasionally come around and check tickets, but if they do and you don't have a ticket or it's not properly validated, you must pay a hefty fine on the spot. We did see this happen to some people.

There is no reason to purchase your ticket in advance and seats on this train line are not reserved. There is always enough room,...or in the worst case you might have to stand for part of the ride. You can buy your tickets in Livorno at the station from either the ticket window or by using the self-service ticket machines located in the station. These trains sometimes leave Livorno from a small, rather remote, platform which is all the way at the end of the station towards your right as you exit the station onto the platform and sometimes they leave from one of the main tracks.

Hank

Actually I am not sure about the credit cards in the self service, but I would assume they would work fine. The reason for my hesitation is that we bought our tickets at the ticket window before we even noticed the machines (they were new since our last visit). You can definitely use your Visa at the ticket window.

Hank

Archived