FLL-Grande Hotel

prarie cruiser

I backed out of Embassy Suites (mixed reviews and costs more) and booked a new room at the Grande (was a Marriott Marina I think). I got a great price on their internet site, less than $75 including tax, after using a discount card.

I know this hotel is still undergoing a management change and a hurricane related renovation. Reviews posted on the internet the last few weeks have been much better, so I am hoping to just have a clean room with someplace to eat, near the water, for one night pre-cruise.

I backed out of Embassy Suites (mixed reviews and costs more) and booked a new room at the Grande (was a Marriott Marina I think). I got a great price on their internet site, less than $75 including tax, after using a discount card.

I know this hotel is still undergoing a management change and a hurricane related renovation. Reviews posted on the internet the last few weeks have been much better, so I am hoping to just have a clean room with someplace to eat, near the water, for one night pre-cruise.

Was that the summertime rate special?

Ron

I would have held onto the Embassy Suites. The managers evening cocktail party and the free breakfast are a nice touch. The atrium can't be beat either. The FL Grande was nice when it was a Marriott and when the Blackstone Group finishes renovations it will shine again. If you plan on taking the water taxi to go downtown then the Grande is conveniant.

Don't even think of walking to the CP, if your familiar with the area you would know it's not as easy as one would think..... :rolleyes:

I would have held onto the Embassy Suites. The managers evening cocktail party and the free breakfast are a nice touch. The atrium can't be beat either. The FL Grande was nice when it was a Marriott and when the Blackstone Group finishes renovations it will shine again. If you plan on taking the water taxi to go downtown then the Grande is conveniant.

Don't even think of walking to the CP, if your familiar with the area you would know it's not as easy as one would think..... :rolleyes:

It is kinda of easy to walk to. You don't go over the bridge, you go under it. Most of the convention people do that. The convention center is right there. You walk out the front door of the hotel, under the bridge, then your at the convention center, about 100 feet, your at the parking garage where the people park the cars, then go on the ship. I would not want to walk it because of luggage.:eek: The water taxi stops right there at the hotel. I think its every hour.

Both of the hotels which you are speaking of are on 17th, is that correct?

How far is this from the cruise ship pier? Is this Pier 66 - There is so little mention of the actual pier, it is difficult to envision where it is.

We are booked into Holiday Inn Express, which is near these two hotels, I believe. It is difficult to tell exactly from the map.

Is Las Olas Blvd. an easy walk, say, to the cheesecake factory, and the shops which are often mentioned here.

Sorry for all of the questions, but for some reason, these particulars elude me.

Thanks for any help. :) :)

Yes there is plenty of shopping close to the Grand as well as the Holiday inn. To take the water taxi you need to go to the grand and catch it there. If your staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 there is a pick up point for the water taxi.

In order to get a better idea of where you are:

The intercoastal waterway goes North and South. The Caribbean Princess is docked in Port Everglades on the Intercoastal. (On the west side). No cruise ships are on the east side. There are many that are docked on the south side. The Grand and the Holiday Inn are on the west side also. The Hyatt Pier 66 is on the east side of the intercoastal. The big bridge goes over the intercoastal. Pier 66 got its name along time ago. Does anyone remember a gas station called Union 66? This hotel was built by that same gas company. I just can't remember which.

I hope this gives you a better picture of where everything is. I'll be happy to go take a picture. If you go to http://community.webshots.com/user/lindanick101

Go to the album called port everglades. I was on the Century watching everyone pull out. You can see the Hyatt from these pictures. Its the round one.

Linda

Yes there is plenty of shopping close to the Grand as well as the Holiday inn. To take the water taxi you need to go to the grand and catch it there. If your staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 there is a pick up point for the water taxi.

In order to get a better idea of where you are:

The intercoastal waterway goes North and South. The Caribbean Princess is docked in Port Everglades on the Intercoastal. (On the west side). No cruise ships are on the east side. There are many that are docked on the south side. The Grand and the Holiday Inn are on the west side also. The Hyatt Pier 66 is on the east side of the intercoastal. The big bridge goes over the intercoastal. Pier 66 got its name along time ago. Does anyone remember a gas station called Union 66? This hotel was built by that same gas company. I just can't remember which.

I hope this gives you a better picture of where everything is. I'll be happy to go take a picture. If you go to http://community.webshots.com/user/lindanick101

Go to the album called port everglades. I was on the Century watching everyone pull out. You can see the Hyatt from these pictures. Its the round one. Linda

Oh, I felt like I was there! And, you actually had a picture of the Sun Princess which we will be on next April.

Your photos are wonderful. I thank you so much for sharing, and for your generous info. I may be able to find my way around from HIX.:)

Had originally planned to stay at Embassy Suites, but at the price they were asking, around $180 , and very mixed reviews lately, decided to save myself a hundred dollars and try the Grande (also a little mixed on the reviews but a hundred cheaper!). Also, liked being near the water taxi.

While if we were traveling alone we might try walking (we walk several miles a day) with the 80+ member along, better stick to the taxi! Don't think her rolling walker would make it that far!!!!

Thanks for all the feedback!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived