wheelchair on Caribbean Princess

I requested a wheelchair to be available on the cruise ship for my 80+ traveler who can walk some, but tires very easily anymore. The cruise line, on the second call, agreed to reserve a wheelchair on boar for her, as they had one available. They said there would be a deposit for the chair and that it could not go off the ship.

However, I got a little stupid and forgot to ask them how we actually get the wheelchair. So, my questions are as follows:

Can I count on them to actually have a wheelchair for us?

Where do I pay the deposit and pick up the wheelchair?

Why don't you rent a wheelchair at home and take it with you instead?

You can use it at the airport (no extra charge to take it on the plane) and also have it for shore excursions. Your grandmother can practice using it before she goes, and you can pick a chair that you like instead of taking pot-luck with a chair that may not fit her (yes, they come in sizes)

Also the chairs the cruise line use are very heavy duty type and weight a ton (not to mention that they are not in the best of shape either). You should either buy one or rent one but get an ultra light so the cab drivers will not mind it too much. Ultra lights are also easier to push for you and grandmother.

I requested a wheelchair to be available on the cruise ship for my 80+ traveler who can walk some, but tires very easily anymore. The cruise line, on the second call, agreed to reserve a wheelchair on boar for her, as they had one available. They said there would be a deposit for the chair and that it could not go off the ship.

However, I got a little stupid and forgot to ask them how we actually get the wheelchair. So, my questions are as follows:

I took my Great Great Great grandmother on that same cruise ship to Eastern 2004. I did the same request on their web page. The ONLY time we got to use a wheelchair is at one port (no deposit left) and PRINCESS assisted on disemparkment. (you meet in the main dining room and they pushed her out) Even though when I called they asured me it would be in my room. :confused: They are vey limited and while it took a while to get around the ship grandma was able to walk with the use of rails on the walls.

This year I am renting a small folding electric scooter. That way she can use it in both airports, (she drives it right to the door of the plane) day before site seeing, on the ship if needed and at the ports. The airline will take the scooter for free and it does not count as luggage and the shuttle van will take it from the ship to the airport no problem.

Good luck. You will love this ship! Love the movie under the stars

I took my Great Great Great grandmother on that same cruise ship to Eastern 2005. I did the same request on their web page. The ONLY time we got to use a wheelchair is at one port (no deposit left) and PRINCESS assisted on disemparkment. (you meet in the main dining room and they pushed her out) Even though when I called they asured me it would be in my room. :confused: They are vey limited and while it took a while to get around the ship grandma was able to walk with the use of rails on the walls.

This year I am renting a small folding electric scooter. That way she can use it in both airports, (she drives it right to the door of the plane) day before site seeing, on the ship if needed and at the ports as some islands had some BIG hills when I pushed the wheelchair. The airline will take the scooter for free and it does not count as luggage and the shuttle van will take it from the ship to the airport no problem.

Good luck. You will love this ship! Love the movie under the stars

Wow, I am so impressed you are able to travel as a multi generation family! That is so great!

Does anyone think it makes a difference to talk with Princess on the phone versus the web site for these types of requests?

She is able to walk some on her own but tires so easily anymore (she has had a minor CVA in the past). She "totters" a lot anymore, so I worry a bit about her falling when she is tired. Basically, at home she does well in the house but can't walk around the corner to her daughter's house. So, we thought a wheelchair would be just the thing!

We are beginning to face the fact of needing tranport when she goes out, but are still at the stage of convincing her and starting to think about equipment. She did agree to a wheelchair for this trip, which to us is a huge step! I am not sure if she would allow us to buy her a wheelchair at this point, but we would be willing to do that (we even offered to buy her a scooter). I really wish she would allow herself to use a scooter, but I don't know if we are going to accomplish that. I am sure many of you know how this goes better than myself!

Archived