Are we being treated fairly?

Hblanton

About 6 weeks ago i was scanning various travel sites and found a nice deal to travel from Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona in 14 days on the RSS Voyager, leaving on April 30th.

I hesistate to mention price, but since it is relevant here I will. We paid $5,800 for the two of us for the 14 day trip in a Penthouse B suite.

Although dealing with a VERY large online travel agency, the booking was not automated (and they so indicated.) They had to call the line to confirm. They did so the next day and I got an email saying the booking was complete and I also got a voicemail to the same effect. Checking online, I saw our booking as done on both the agency and the RSSC sites - for the full 14 days ending up in Barcelona.

The TA charged my credit card and I figured I had lucked into a nice deal.

Then I get a call from the TA saying they erred, and that the price was only for the first half of the trip, leaving us off in Malaga. However, again checking their sites it said that we had been booked through to Barcelona on both sites.

I expressed (politely) my strong opinion that I had bought a 14 day cruise, they had cashed the check for a 14 day cruise, and they had repeatedly confirmed a 14 day cruise. If they priced it a bit under their preferred sales point, so be it, but it is not my problem.

So, dear readers, am I in the right? Should I attempt to hold them to the deal we struck, or should I let them back out (as an aside, I also booked nonrefundable airfares to go along with this trip that would need to be adjusted if the trip were canceled.) To make things worse, I booked this as a 5th anniversary present for my lovely wife. With the bill having arrived, she now knows about it and is very excited. It would be, needless to say, a DRAG to have to tell her that ,No, the trip is off.

Any thoughts or opinions on how to proceed would be appreciated. I don't want to be too aggressive or rude, but it does seem to me that "the deal is done" and we should all just "live with it."

Regards,

HBlanton

Your TA obviously made a mistake. A Penthouse B on the Grand Crossing should be around $10k. You will be hard pressed to get them to comp you for that amount. They would be taking a huge loss no matter how good a deal they get from Regent. You may want to approach them with a compromise solution and see if they will honor the price they quoted you and drop down to a G or H cabin. There is not a huge difference between the Penthouse and the standard suites on the Voyager (save the butler which has mixed opinions of their usefulness). We are booked on the same crossing in a G cabin. The cost is right around $8k for the Grand Crossing including all taxes, etc.

Good luck. I know it can be frustrating, but people make mistakes and sometimes you have to look for a solution that both parties can be happy with.

FFMilesJunkie is correct. The TA obviously made a big mistake and you may be able to keep the price as close to your original quote in a less expensive cabin. No need to have the Penhouse on the Voyager, it's only something like 14 ft. larger than the standard cabin. Try for a midship G cabin on Deck 6 and enjoy your anniversary. FYI in the future, there are TAs that specialize ONLY in luxury cruises such as Regent where such a mistake would likely not have occurred.

These multi segment trips that are marketed and sold individually as well as a package can be confusing. (I just went to my TA's site and she had an error on her listing. Her site said 4/30 - 5/08, 14 days with correct pricing for 14 days. Next line it said 4/30 - 5/14, 8 days with the correct pricing for the 8 days. Maybe its the same TA? In any case, these separate/together cruises can be confusing. By the way, the best pricing I could find on the 14 day cruise was $4,464 pp (Category B) for returning RSSC passengers exclusive of port fees, etc.

This was clearly a mistake by the TA but it is unlikely that he/she will absorb the difference.

I, like the previous poster, recommend you drop down a few categories and try to negotiate a win-win outcome with your TA. The cabin size difference between a "B" and any other lower category cabin is only 14 square feet.

I am mildly curious. At the time you made the booking didn't it seem to you that you were quoted such an outrageously low price? Did you think there must be a mistake somewhere? Just wondering....

In any case, good luck!

Bill

This was clearly a mistake by the TA but it is unlikely that he/she will absorb the difference.

She should have Errors and Omissions insurance that will cover her for this. Most states require travel agents doing business in the state to have this coverage specifically for situations like this.

I would think that if the OP has the cruise details in writing ... a certain cabin category and a certain number of days, he can definitely hold the TA to the quoted price. He said that he booked airfare and would lose out if he were to have to get off the ship before the final port. Well, unless the TA wants to reimburse for that airfare, it will probably be cheaper for her to pay the difference to the cruise line for the OP to get his 14-day cruise.

I say the TA is SOL. If the OP already paid for the cruise, and has paperwork indicating what he bought, then I wouldn't budge one inch. I'd want the agreed upon cruise in the agreed upon cabin category. Not trying to be nasty here, but she should have been more careful.

Hold firm to your quoted cost and accept nothing less. Threaten legal action against the travel agent if necessary. Believe me, she won't have to eat it. She'll just have to deal with the embarrassment of having to contact her E&O insurance carrier and inform them that she has made a very, very stupid blunder. But, the bottom line is that they will eat it ... not her.

Blue skies ...

--rita

FFMilesJunkie is correct. The TA obviously made a big mistake and you may be able to keep the price as close to your original quote in a less expensive cabin. No need to have the Penhouse on the Voyager, it's only something like 14 ft. larger than the standard cabin. Try for a midship G cabin on Deck 6 and enjoy your anniversary. FYI in the future, there are TAs that specialize ONLY in luxury cruises such as Regent where such a mistake would likely not have occurred.

I'm just confused here. Why should the OP be expected to compromise on this at all? If he paid for the cruise in full and has paperwork indicating a certain cruise, then that should be it.

Maybe I'd be "nice" and help the TA out by taking a less expensive cabin, but then I would use that as a bargaining chip to get some other "concessions" from the TA ... like perhaps free airline upgrades or something.

I don't know ... but it seems to me that the TA was careless here ... very careless. While it may be "acceptable" to have a bad quote on your website, etc. ... once you take money from a customer, everything should be in order. If the TA took this person's money and provided him with paperwork indicating a certain cruise, then in my opinion he has a right to expect that cruise ... and absolutely nothing less.

Might sound hardnosed, but after an incident like this, I'll bet that TA will be a lot more careful in the future, don't you think?

Blue skies ...

--rita

IMHO the travel agency eats it. The brochure rate for the April 30 14 day crossing in a Cat B is $6,045/person. Don't know how the travel agency could have it at $5K for 2. Stick to your guns, because they screwed up big time. If they don't honor their committment, take them to the better business folks.

Certainly an interesting diversity of opinions :)

I would be willing to downgrade (if such a thing exists on Voyager) if the TA offered it.

One thing I should have made clear - this is not a local mom and pop agency that would be hurt by the price difference (I have seen the same trip for around $4,200 for a Cat. H so the TA is really just a few thousand off) Rather, this is a mega, super GIANT TA (a household name that spends hundreds of millions of dollars on TV ads.) Not that this goes to the basic equity of the issue, but it is not the case that anyone individual would be hurt if they honor the sale. In fact, I've read articles about the same agency making more aggregious mistakes ($1 flights to Tokyo and the like) and honoring the tickets.

Which really goes to the other point - I bought this ticket in good faith. The price seemed very good, no doubt, but I thought that perhaps it was because it was a repositioning cruise (and indeed, I have now seen the first 7 day portion for around $2k.) That was why I bought the nonrefundable flight and "surprised" my wife with this for a very early 5th anniversary gift.

So their pricing was a tad high for the 7 day portion and a bit more than a tad low for the full 14 day bit. I think that the commentotor who said that the 1/2 segment nature of the trip is what tripped them up got it exactly right. They listed the trip online as 14 days, priced it perhaps based on 7 days, but when I sgned up booked it as 14 days as promised.

And this is what bothers me most. At some point they said "Oh, you only paid for the first 7 days and that is what we booked you for...do you want to pay for the other half?" When I checked the RSSC website of course I found that I had been booked for the full 14 days and had a specific cabin assigned.

So it is not a case where they misbooked me. They weren't sqaure with me in admitting that they just underpriced it somewhat. It also seems to me that at some point a deal is a deal, even if they don't like the deal they did. Once they took my money, confirmed the trip, and booked my cabin it seems to me that the time to try to back-out was past.

Anyway, i'd hate for this to get nasty. I imagine that if I had to go to court I would win (I have all the emails, the web pages (I am a bit compulsive about saving everything I buy online as a PDF) and even the voicemail confirming the trip a couple of days after I paid for it online. Still, hardly the way you want to get started on a trip, right?

Thanks for the input.

Regards

It's always disappointing when problems like this arise. I recall a thread a while back about a major tour company underpricing cruises then claiming they had the right to correct errors, and refusing to cancel the reservation without penalty.

In your case, it probably comes down to your documentation. My agents have always sent me an itemized invoice with cabin category and # and detailed pricing. If you have this, and have paid in full, then you are probably on solid ground. At the very least, you could downgrade without penalty and see if Regent will upgrade you to that category if a cabin is available closer to sailing.

But I'm curious why you paid in full so far ahead. Until 90 days out you should only be on deposit. I wouldn't want to do business with an agency that made a mistake like this. If it were me, unless they honor the reservation, I'd cancel with them, demand my deposit back, and then rebook with an agency that I could trust. There are several agencies that who specialize with Regent who offer very competitive pricing and top notch service as well.

Thanks Joann, all good ideas. The funny thing is I haven't focused on the question of why they took all the dough now. If this wasn't a mega-mondo-ultra TA I might be worried. As it is, this may end up being the tipping point for my getting the cruise at the paid price. If I had only paid a deposit they could more easily return it. Having ponied up the full fare it seems more like a done deal.

I'll let you guys know what happens. If they do the right thing, I'll even share their name and give them credit. Of course, if they don't, I'll probably share the name then too and flame the heck out of them :D .

The funny thing is that this TA has been advertising about how well they handle problems for their clients and how you have a right to "get what you booked." I think they mean that to apply to their partners, but what is good for the goose....

I have to agree that it sounds like a TA that is not experienced with luxury cruises and, therefore, didn't see the error in his/her pricing. Obviously just because they are big doesn't mean that each agent knows what they are doing! Ironically, it was a similar problem that I had with a mega-agency that got me into the business years ago. When the supervisor said I knew more than her agents I said, "So give me a job" and I was off. (Didn't stay with that mega-agency for very long!)

One point you should consider, if you have been given a price that you knew, or should have known, was in error you may not be entitled to that lower price. The law does allow for forgiveness of obvious screwups. Now, whether there is any value in good will by providing some sort of compromise is another story.

Keep us posted! Good luck!

If it was the cruise line I might be hessitant to hold my ground...but if it is a TA company......hold fast.

There are such things as verbal contracts..in this case if you have internet confirmation.........stick with it.

In the past I had a similar situation where I got an unbelievable deal for business class airfare to Australia. The price quoted by the tour company was incredibly low...; my TA got confirmation after I paid. Then I get notified that the airline mis quoted the price to the tour company.......more than double what I agreed to pay. Well my TA held them to it since she had a fax confirmation.

Thats why I believe in always working through a good TA.....I flew to Australia in business class for 1/3 the normal cost.

So hold them to it!!!!!!!

But I would note that here I have apparently reeived about a 30% discount, not a 66% discount. Again, this is not a $1 flight to Tokyo. The price quoted to me was credible, if pretty low. It seems to me that the TA had a chance to correct when they called RSSC to confirm the fare and book the cruise. I guess the person in their luxury cruse dept. didn't think twice about this rate either. They called RSSC, booked the 14 day trip, and took the money. The more I think about this, along with the comments from folks on this board, I think this is a done deal. If the TA tries to back out now I'm gonna cover the boards letting people know that they have been unfair.

HLY

Has anybody addressed whether the written booking confirmation has a clause indemnifying the TA from honest errors in pricing or booking? Also, having had E&O coverage in antother profession, I don't think it covers the TA on a "make good". It would involve a lawsuit. Would you be just as happy with the penthouse for the first leg and having the TA deal with rescheduling the return air at their expense for any penalties? Did you get travel insurance? I don't know, but it might cover expenses such as a wrong flight due to the TA error.

Next time I'd be sure to book with a TA who specializes in luxury cruises. many of us here use the same top notch agency.

Now having said that, if you have it all in writing, I think you're entitled to everything stated in the emails, etc. They can't come back to you after the fact to say you owe them more because they screwed up.

Also keep checking RSSC to make sure the TA doesn't try and screw you out of your cruise. I know, I sound like I'm paranoid...being a Nu Yawka does that.

Also keep checking RSSC to make sure the TA doesn't try and screw you out of your cruise. I know, I sound like I'm paranoid...being a Nu Yawka does that.

I'm with you AtA! It was the first thing that crossed my mind in reading the thread. Maybe it's because I lived in NYC for seven years before moving to suburbia!

Some agents do not "make honest mistakes" they deliberately "bait and switch".

Recently I had an agent contact me direct. She quoted a certain ship, certain ports, and certain deposit, plus several perks for booking inc. on board spending credit, wine etc.- must book within 48 hours

I responded saying I was interested , and required more details, next contact said "ship had changed" (she had got the names wrong), then it was the deposit, which doubled, booking extended by 24 hours.

I ignored the E mail as I felt I was being "conned"

Got another E Mail, deposit back to original figure, booking time extended by 48 hours

I did not book with this agent

No, not the cruise and not even the dealings with the TA. Rather, I've been stunned by the level of response from this group. Over 600 folks have read the post and follow-ups. Pretty amazing really.

And I do appreciate all the comments. As it happens, I had a chance to talk to a friend of mine who is an A+ lawyer (Harvard Law, etc.)

He said that this was a cut and dry case. He said that while an honest error might let the TA out of an offer, the fact that in this case they took full payment from me, booked the cabin, and confirmed it all in writing, voicemail and on the web it was a done deal. He thinks that the TA will belly up and deal with it (again, the couple of thousand dollars the pricing may have been low will not = .00001% of their marketing budget.)

So, I expect to be on Voyager on April 30, 2007 from Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona. Anyone else going to be on this trip?

What is also clear is that I will use the power of this board, and others, to report on how they resolve this. If they do the rightl, and legal thing, I feel I have an obligation to let all of you know that they stood up as they should. If they try to weazle, and make me go to court to get what I bought, I will similarly let eveyone know. Between this board and other boards this will mean literally thousands of people who will find out how they handled their "mistake."

There is a (perverse?) pleasure in having some of the power reversed. Usually if a big company messes with you you are basically stuck. Know that I will be able to either reward them or hold them acountable in the board of public opinion is a very empowering feeling. The net can do some amazing things, no?

Thanks again.

HB

Some agents do not "make honest mistakes" they deliberately "bait and switch".

My first reaction was the same as Jimsgirl, "bait and switch".

I have seen some online and was about to take a bite on one no long ago. When I saw the price on a mega TA website, I called them immediately. I was quoted $1,900/pp on a Cat Q3 on a 4-day cruise aboard the QM2. The rep that answered the phone then proceded to call Cunard to confirm the price and he told me that Cunard confirmed the price. I asked for a courtesity hold and told them that I would call later with my credit card number to reserve. When I called later that day, the price had been adjusted to what it should be. I did not book. The next day the TA's website still showed the wrong price. Go figure!!

I agree with your lawyer. If I were you, the first thing I would do, if you haven't, is print the confirmations off their site and RSSC. I had an episode several years ago where there was a malfunction in the pricing in RSSC's computers. They found the mistake, but since I was already under deposit, they had to accept it. You can't blame the booking agent for trying to get more, but I think if you have the acceptance and payment in writing from them or on their website, they have to honor it.

Best of luck.

Archived