Is Chichen Itza possible?

beth4652

We will be traveling with two other couples on the Caribbean Princess on Sept. 23rd. We will be in Cozumel on Thurs. 9/28 from 8:30am to 6:30pm. We would really like to visit ChichenItza, but it's not listed as one of the ship's excursions. I know it's quite a distance, so am wondering if it's possible to use a local tour guide, or if it's just too far and would take too much time. I'm looking for advice.

Given the travel time to and from Cozumel, you really would be rushed to fully enjoy all that there is to see. You just wouldn't have enough time there.

If you have the chance to book an excursion from another port on the mainland, take it as it is worth seeing.

We went on the Tulum Excursion and it took all day. It is my understanding that Chitzen Itzu is farther.

I did read a post awhile back where you can schedule a private plane to take you there. I emailed them but they never got back to me, so I don't know any details.

Maggie

We flew to Chichen Itza the first time we went and that is definitly the way to go (If price is no issue).We arrived before most tour groups, had more time at the ruins and returned to Cozumel late afternoon.

One of my favorite memories was seeing El Castillo rise through the jungle and circling the ruins before landing.

The cost to fly is much more now so you may want to wait until you can get there from a mainland port...here are some links

http://aerosaab.com/tour_chichen.html

http://www.cozumel.net/tours/itza.htm

http://www.cozumel-click.com/chichenitza.html

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Chicitza?From=Mainlandruins

We were not on a cruise but at an all inclusive in Cancun, and it was still an all day (8 hour) excursion. I agree that you will not have enough time to enjoy it unless you use air transportation.

It is awesome to see, though, so if you can swing the $$, fly! My DH even climbed Chichen-Itza! :eek: :D (I was 65 pounds heavier then...too overweight to dare. :mad: :o )

Really if you want to see Chichen Itza from a cruise, the best port to do it from is Progreso. It is still a distance, but not as far as it is from Cozumel or Playa del Carmen.

The only way to go to Chichen Itza is to fly! You would waste way too much time by going any other way.

If you have never been to Tulum, go there first. It is very interesting and much more accessible. Plus, you will enjoy Tulum much more if you go there before you see Chichen Itza. The view from the cliffs of Tulum is beautiful. There are some pictures in our W. Caribbean - Celebrity Mercury review on our website. (link below my signature)

Save Chichen Itza for a future visit when you have plenty of time. My husband also climbed to the top of Chichen Itza, but I wasn't that adventurous! He took the video camera with him and so I got to see the view via tape. :D

Tulum is wonderful, but Chichen Itza is extraordinary. That is why I say you should see Tulum first. BTW, whichever you choose, be sure to take plenty of water with you. It will be extremely hot in September.

Unless you fly - no! (You will spend all your time travelling and have virtually no time at the ruins). As others have pointed out the only port that it is really practical to do Chichen Itza from (by road) is Progreso (and even there it is about a 1.5 hour ride).

Archived