Vatican tours

Shogun, thanks for your reply. I am new to this and wasn't sure if the lines were to purchase tickets or to get into the museum. I would be so disappointed if the tour only allowed a few hours at the Vatican and the line was too long and we wouldn't get in.

We were told timing of trip is important, avoid anything to do with important church dates etc.

Morning can be long ques, best time is just before lunch stops.

Maybe we were lucky, it is a must see.

Watch out for dress code.

have a great trip.

PS Great little well small entrance but big store on other side of square entrance just inside small courtyard sells everything you could ever want from Vatican, coins to crosses .

I was on a land vacation in Rome about 1 month ago now, but saw many ship tours at the Vatican (tell tale sign was the paddle the tour guide was holding up w/ whatever cruiseline logo on it). If you go with the ship, you do not get priority in the line. If it is a busy day (which out of the three days we were in Rome, there were ALWAYS long lines at the Vatican Museum), you will be waiting on line with everyone else. From what I could tell, most ship groups were probably waiting about 1-2 hours standing on line. Not all of the line is shaded either, so be sure you are prepared to stand in the sun.

We were in Rome last week. In the morning, we drove by the Vatican, and there was a line that wrapped around several blocks. But, as our tour guide suggested, we returned at about 2:15 in the afternoon and walked right in. Timing is everything!

Shogun's experience is interesting. We went on a Princess tour of the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's on June 27 and waited more than 2 hours in line for the museum (and went from there directly into St. Peter's). We may well have spent as much time waiting in line in the heat outside as we did inside. It was probably worth the wait, but we were rushed through once we got in. Timing apparently is crucial, but on a ship's excursion one usually doesn't have control over that. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers,

UNCle Don

Thank you for all the replies. I will be hosting 4 senior citizens, a 12 and 14 year old and my DH who is hard of hearing. I am still debating between a ship tour or a private tour. I worry about long lines but also do not want to worry about making it back to the ship on time. Thanks again.

Archived