Question on San Juan Agricultural Sceenings

jakedoc

Does anyone have information in regards to having your luggage checked at the agricultural screening at the airport? I'm unsure if it's required after disembarking off a cruise ship. I've read conflicting reports. We're sailing on the Golden next January and our flights coming home are a little tight. Any time gained by not going thru the screening would give us a little cushion. Thanks

We have flown out of San Juan twice after cruises. The first cruise we just checked in with the regular airlines and walked to our gate. We knew nothing of the other security station. The second time, this past March, while I was standing in line to check in with the airlines, my husband walked over to the Agriculture screener and asked if we needed to go thru. He told my husband if we just came off a cruise ship and had the tags still on, we did not need to go thru their security. Hope this helps and have a great cruise!!

If I remember correctly in the cruise terminal where you pick up your bags you turn in the form re:agricultural products. I do know that we did not have to go through it at the airport.

See something different for everyone. When we came off our cruise in February we went directly to the airline counter w/tags still on from the ship and they made us go back and have agriculture screen the luggage. I guess it just depends on whose working that day.:p

Debbie

We flew United two weeks ago, and when we got to the counter, the agent told my husband to take the bags that would be checked through the agricultural screening. I stayed at the counter and finished checking in for the flight.

We were on the same cruise as cherbott and I went over to the agri screening place and asked them if we needed screening and they said "no."

All of our stuff was carry-on though and we got our boarding passes on the computer the night before, so we didn't even go to the ticket counter.

I just got back from the Golden cruise out of San Juan July 4. At American, I asked if our bags had to go through the agriculture screening and the man said yes. We still had the tags on the bags. Fortunately, it didn't add any time for us except perhaps 2 minutes as there wasn't a line. The bottle neck was at the American counter and that was at the most 5 minutes. We departed on the Monday following the cruise and it was very smooth.

DDpe

Even if you are coming off a cruise, you need to go through the Ag check if you are checking luggage. If you only have carry-ons, then you don't need to go through the Ag check. The lines can vary from no wait to over an hour wait. If you are flying out on a Sunday, expect longer lines. To avoid the line, pay a porter to check your bags. He will cut to the front of the ag line, send your bags through, and then check them for you.

On our cruise on the Golden in May, we flew back on Spirit. We went directly to the Agricultural Station and were told our bags did not need to be checked as long as every bag had a cruise tag...including the carry-ons.

Archived