QUANTITY of food in Sabatini's

pianoman24601

I've seen reviews on these threads that clearly indicate that Sabatini's is an excellent dining experience; however, I've seen mixed messages on the quantity of food. One review indicated that it wouldn't be a eat-until-your pants-burst type of affair, but I recall seeing another review that implied the opposite.

I'm wondering if the restaurant is "authentic" Italian fine dining (i.e. very small samplings of anipasto, pasta, etc, not the huge portions one typically sees in the US). I'm pretty well convinced to try it, but I'm just not sure how much we should starve ourselves that day so as not to be overstuffed.

Yes it is authentic and yes if you eat for the whole 3 hours you are there your pants will burst. :D

I have never heard anyone say that there was not enough food there.

Depending on how late in the week you go and how you metabolize your food. I had to keep from eating pretty much the whole day before the meal so I would be hungry. :eek:

The quality of food is wonderful in Sabatini's. The problem is, with so many coarses passengers tend to want to try each one and then are totally miserable from eating too much after the experience.

Take it from one who has tried it twice and we have decided not to do that again. Either that or because of lack of food self control, we will bring larger clothes next time. :)

I've seen reviews on these threads that clearly indicate that Sabatini's is an excellent dining experience; however, I've seen mixed messages on the quantity of food. One review indicated that it wouldn't be a eat-until-your pants-burst type of affair, but I recall seeing another review that implied the opposite.

I'm wondering if the restaurant is "authentic" Italian fine dining (i.e. very small samplings of anipasto, pasta, etc, not the huge portions one typically sees in the US). I'm pretty well convinced to try it, but I'm just not sure how much we should starve ourselves that day so as not to be overstuffed.

Yes, you'll find an "authentic" Italian dining experience at Sabatini - a sampling of everything on the menu then a huge main course.

DH and I have dined at Sabatini on embarkation evening on all of our 4 CB cruises mainly because it is a nice relaxing way to ease into our vacation.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

We just got off the Crown and I cannot see what all the talk about Sabatini's is. Yes, you get a sampling of appitizers, but the main course is not italian. They have alot of fish on the menu and the food is not prepared italian. Italian's use garlic and wine sauces. We own an italian/steak house in NYC, so we do know food. The only meat was a veal chop. I asked that it be cooked though and not pink. I was told the chef only makes them pink. Chops on the other hand was fantastic. If I had my choice it would be Chops hands down. I do not know if the menu on the Crown is different from the other ships. Dinner only took about 1 1/2 hour.

Sabatinis is a nice change from the DR in terms of the personalized service and different surroundings, but we were somewhat disappointed in the food. Its ok, don't get me wrong, but if you've dined at fine Italian restaurants in NY, Chicago, etc, don't expect that quality of food.

DH, myself plus my Mom and Dad thoroughly enjoyed the leisurely 2.5 hour dinner in Sabatini's on the Grand Princess this past February. Living in Houston we find many restaurants (Morton's, Ruths Chris etal) in this town tend to RUSH patrons through dinner. The Sabatini's experience was sooo joyfully lingering due to the great wine, great company and food quality we don't find in Italian restaurants in Houston. The antipasta course, pizza, pasta, choice of main course plus creme brulee for dessert (no cannoli though) was terrific, and the service so attentive we tipped extra! We will enjoy Sabatini's again on the Golden in 4 weeks....

This is sometimes one of the most debated topics on these boards on both quality and quantity. As for the authenticity of the Italian food, I think that depends on which region of Italy is your reference point. But I would not consider it Americanized Italian food.

As for the quantity, you basically have a choice: You can order just like you would off of any menu .... appetizer, salad, soup, entree, dessert, etc. OR, you can try the "sample" menu, where they bring around small servings of antipasto, pasta, etc., (basically a taste of everything on the menu) and then you choose an entree. In my experience, you can have as much or as little as you want.

We decided to go the traditional route b/c we each (there were 3 of us) wanted particular items. But, during the course of the evening, they would come around with some other tasty morsels, and we gladly accepted them.

As others have said, it is a relaxing meal to savor. We did not leave stuffed or uncomfortable b/c we controlled what we ate. It was a very pleasurable experience, because of the food, the service and the ambience .... and a very nice change from the DR on a 15-day cruise. We plan to do it again on the CB.

This is sometimes one of the most debated topics on these boards on both quality and quantity. As for the authenticity of the Italian food, I think that depends on which region of Italy is your reference point. But I would not consider it Americanized Italian food.

As for the quantity, you basically have a choice: You can order just like you would off of any menu .... appetizer, salad, soup, entree, dessert, etc. OR, you can try the "sample" menu, where they bring around small servings of antipasto, pasta, etc., (basically a taste of everything on the menu) and then you choose an entree. In my experience, you can have as much or as little as you want.

Insightful comments, and this pretty much matches my expectation. The "sample" menu sounds a lot like what I experienced in Rome, which I think is a good thing...

I really feel cheated!! So many people post such glowing reviews...and that is just not what we experienced. Dh and I sat through the grueling 3 hour meal....and left hungry...not starving but we got a snack after the evening entertainment, which is something we dont do, ever..We are not big eaters..so we were surprised..Our waiter served us literally a tablespoon or less of samplings of the courses. When the main entree arrived it was a paltry/tiny 2 scallops, 2 small shrimp, and a tiny lobster tail...and I mean tiny....The dessert was the best part of the meal. The waiter was terrible, sullen and we felt like he was being pestered to actually bring the food....This probably greatly contributed to our review of the rest.

We were on this ship over 4th of July. We, too, thought Sabatini's was just so-so. Unfortunately, it was the best food we had on the entire cruise. We booked Sabatini's on our first night. When we first sat down, our waiter showed us the menu and explained that they would bring everything single item listed. I had to ask to speak to the manager in order to convince them to only deliver those menu items we actually wanted to eat. We also didn't want to take 3 hours for dinner. They were very accommodating. The rest of the cruise food-wise was actually very disappointing.

For those of you who have tried Sabitini's on the Crown...which night would you advise to go? I don't know want to miss any specialty nights in Traditional Dining...and would like to know which evening to book my "food excursion" at Sabitini's when I board. Also, what time do you think is best to book, so as not to miss any shows or special programs?

:rolleyes:

We just got off the Crown and I cannot see what all the talk about Sabatini's is. Yes, you get a sampling of appitizers, but the main course is not italian. They have alot of fish on the menu and the food is not prepared italian. Italian's use garlic and wine sauces. We own an italian/steak house in NYC, so we do know food. The only meat was a veal chop. I asked that it be cooked though and not pink. I was told the chef only makes them pink.

The wonderful thing about Italian food is there is such a wide variety and style of cooking depending upon the region in Italy. Italians do eat fish and other seafood. If you want authentic Italian try octopus in ink sauce! (I've never developed a taste for it myself) As for veal, I can understand why the chef refused to cook it well done. Yes, the customer is supposed to be King but good chefs often refuse to compromise and serve you food that is less than perfect.

I always enjoy reading both favorable and unfavorable reviews so that I can get a feel for how I may react to the experience based upon my own preferences and dislikes.

My wife and I tried Sabatini's on the Golden, 8-02, on a trans-Atlantic.

Frankly, we both thought that way too much food was served for our small appetites.

I am ambivalent about food; my wife is much more of a "foodie", and she thought the quality good, but certainly not outstanding.

Opinions are so very subjective!

We usually go to Sabatini's on every cruise and love it! Leaving hungry is an option. As another poster said, there is such a large variety of regional cooking in Italy that some may not recognize the style of the dishes (which really are authentic). I grew up with first and second generation Italians in my neighborhood and find the food quite true and delicious. There are many simple seafood entrees, and this preparation spans the globe.

As with many things even within a line, it sounds like every ship is different, even the experiences at Sabatinis. For $20, I wouldn't forego Sabatinis on ship B, just b/c I was unhappy with the servings or portions on ship A. I've seen reviews of Sterling, some compare it to "Morton's of Chicago," others "Outback." I dare say, I would not enjoy the latter, but $15 would not keep me from trying it (as we plan to do on the CB).

I am also a little curious, for those folks who complain that there was too much food, did they force you to eat it? I could say the same about the Horizon Court, but I don't take everything. :eek:

Incase anybody wants to know---veal is suppose to be slightly pink. If it is say "well done", the veal will be tough. Any good chef would not like seeing someone chewing a piece of cowhide....

As for the menu, I understand what some are saying. Here in NY we have soooo many Italian restaurants. A huge variety. When we hear "Italian food" we assume pasta dishes, veal, chicken, meatballs, lasagna, Calamari, so on and so forth on the menu.

Whereas, 90% fish dishes and hardly anything else listed to choose from on the Sabatini's menu.

This is not comparable to what we're use to. I guess we would like to see more authentic, genuine italian meals..... Yummmm! ! !

Mama-mia!

If that was the case. My Dh & I would dine there a few nights. Until then, I'll dine in the main dining room.... I always fine something there I like and then some.

Here are pictures inside Sabatini's.

You recieve a plate of cold appetizers (not pictured)

You recieve a plate of hot appetizers

You recieve soups

You recieve your main course

You recieve your desserts

We were on the Sapphire Princess on May 20 - 27 :D

Click on View Slideshow

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=18tjuqvp.w8hhfj1&Uy=-t8hpb9&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0

In case anyone wants to know, "authentic" Italian meals are not meat balls, lasagna and spaghetti. In fact, pasta is never served as the main course. It is usually meat or .... dare I say it pesce' (seafood!) :eek: .

Sorry to say, but a New Yorker's idea of "authentic" Italian dining (and I've eaten in many of her fine establishments) and an Italian living in Italy's idea of an authentic Italian meal may be quite different. Let's not fault Sabatini's for being true to its claim:

From Wikipedian, concerning an authentic Italian meal:

"A traditional Italian menu consists of:

1. L’antipasto - hot and cold appetizers;

2. Il primo ("First Course"), usually consists of a hot dish like pasta, risotto, gnocchi, polenta or soup. There are usually abundant vegetarian options;

3. Il secondo ("Second Course"), the main dish, usually fish or meat (Pasta is never the main course in a traditional menu). Traditionally veal is the most commonly used meat, at least in the north, though beef has become more popular since World War II and wild game is very popular, particularly in Tuscany;

4. Il contorno ("Side Dish") may consist of a salad or vegetables. A traditional menu features salad after the main course.

5. Il dolce ("Dessert");

6 Il caffè ("Coffee") (espresso) and liquors/liqueurs (grappa, amaro, limoncello)."

I really feel cheated!! So many people post such glowing reviews...and that is just not what we experienced. Dh and I sat through the grueling 3 hour meal....and left hungry...not starving but we got a snack after the evening entertainment, which is something we dont do, ever..We are not big eaters..so we were surprised..Our waiter served us literally a tablespoon or less of samplings of the courses. When the main entree arrived it was a paltry/tiny 2 scallops, 2 small shrimp, and a tiny lobster tail...and I mean tiny....The dessert was the best part of the meal. The waiter was terrible, sullen and we felt like he was being pestered to actually bring the food....This probably greatly contributed to our review of the rest.

I totally agree with Chris, it accurately describes the experience on two different ships, the Golden and the Caribbean. The service is painfully slow, after getting a spoonful of this, the waiter disappeared until the next spoonful of something was to be delivered. All so we could savour this spoonful for 5 to 10 minutes. No wonder it takes hours.

We went hungry based on the comments here, and left hungry as well. Of course YMMV.

Cheers,

Peter

Archived