Parent's 50th Wedding Anniversary Cruise

My parents are taking the whole family on their 50th wedding anniversary cruise for Christmas 2006 - wondering if there is anything special we can do for them on the cruise? Anything we can order ahead of time, etc. :)

Can I be adopted?

There is a gift section on the RCCL website that you could check out.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/landing.do;jsessionid=0000rNaqrb3xxSeql8TrHxjdUYR:10ktdmpjo?pagename=gifts_and_gear&cS=NAVBAR

Why don't you call RCCL and see maybe if the family could arrange for your parents to renew their vows on board or something like that. Make sure on formal night though that you all get a formal picture together. I am not sure how large a group you are but I have seen beautiful shots on the stairs and since it is over the holidays the ship will be decorated.

My in-laws did the same thing for their 50th. They took their 3 sons and daughter-in-laws and all the grandchildren. There were 20 of us. We gave them a party before we sailed. We arranage to use a lounge and had the ship open a bar and provide the snacks, for a fee. We provided the decorations.

Our family (18 of us) went on a cruise for our parents 50th this last year. We went to the dining room when we boarded and got permission to decorate the table with items that we carried on. Two of us went to the dining room early (we had 1st seating) and set everything up. Our waiter and some of the others from tables near ours, along with the head waiter, sang to them and congratulated them. It all was very nice, was a total surprise and they loved the attention. We also had corsages for them to wear which we pinned on them before dinner.

RCI has cakes that you can special order which they'll put a "Happy Anniversary" message on.

jmacway and I share the same in-laws...in addition to the party we upgraded their cabin (their TA was good with the white out) and took their wedding photo blew it up and pasted it to large gold bells and attached it to their cabin door. EVERYONE knew it was their 50th and doted on them! jmacway decorated champagne glasses for them to use at the party, which was a surprise to them, we left an invite in their cabin ($10 and the cabin steward let us in :eek: :) ). One of my favorite pics of them is with these glasses toasting each other as we sailed away. jmacway's now son-in-law also proposed to her daughter on this cruise which rounded out the celebration juuuuuuuuust right.

The costs for all of this was split between the 3 sons and didn't really amount to much considering they paid for all of us to cruise.

ps - you can arrange with the ships photographer for a family photo to be taken, also one of my favorites. How often do you get everyone in the same place at the same time?

Thanks for the great ideas - we can't wait to have this special time with them - they are taking my husband and I and our 3 kids (plus one of the kids is bringing a friend since he is 21) - my brother and his wife and 3 kids - my in laws are going and some cousins!

Anyone know about the "newlywed game" or is it called something else?

It's usually the "Newlywed and not-so-newlywed game" - someone just married and one or two couples married longer. They ask embarrassing questions of one partner while the other is out of the room, and the other has to give the same answer to score.

Archived