Sail & sign cards

star65

We were just on the Elation and they told us we couldn't put a limit on our daughter's s&s card. We just told her there was a limit and she believed us. She is 12. I might add that she is pretty responsible with money so she was very concerned about not going over her daily limit.

If you put cash on your daughter's card at check in when you set up your accounts then you can limit it that way--they will warn you if the cash is running out. But, my daughters ages 11 and 14.5 had no problem. They always asked me first, and it was actually easier for me then having to go with them to the gift shop, bar, etc. They mostly spent it on candy (younger one) and non-alchoholic drinks (older one). I do highly recommend the soda card as well. The 11 year old bought a carnival lanyard at the gift shop and the purser punches a hole--she wore both on her neck all day (soda card and sign and sail). The older one kept them in her pocket.

On our previous cruises, we were given the option of whether or not to allow our children to be able to use the charge feature of the card. In each case we denied them the ability to charge anything on the card since we felt they would not need to and they could come to us if they wanted anything. I don't remember exactly how Carnival indicated this on the sail & sign card, maybe a hole punched at a certain spot or something like that. Imagine our surprise when they were allowed to use it anyway. It was all kinda innocent since it was charges for borrowing board games or basket balls and the charges were reversed once the items were returned. Oh, and they did order an occasional soda. My point is that the denial feature did not work. Threatening my children worked much better.

Serene,

My daughter used her S&S card to buy smoothies, ie, virgin strawberry daquiries. She did not realize that it would work in the gift shop until the last day when I allowed her to buy some sleep pants with it. I did not get her a soda card because I didn't want her drinking sodas all day. She didn't really even miss sodas for the week, which was good. She likes Dr. Pepper anyway and they don't have it on the ship.

Is it safe to say each person in our group will have their own s&s card? Boys are 16 and 18. If so what is on the ship that they would need it for? We are getting them a soda card. THANKS JERRY

The sign and sail card is also the cabin key. Each person would get one. You really dont want those kids hounding you each time they wanted to go to the cabin.

You can turn off their spending of the card. Also, a lanyard with the plastic id holder comes in handy so they dont lose it.

The virgin drinks for one is all I can think of.

But when we ever cruised my kids only got their cabin key. I turned their spending off. (we took our own soda so I didnt want them buying lots more) Candy, I thought was very expensive on the ship and they didnt need to eat candy when all that other stuff is available to eat. And the arcade....theyplay enough when home they didnt need it on vacation- came with internet time. Kids surely can rack up those minutes at 50 cents without even thinking about it.

Is it safe to say each person in our group will have their own s&s card? Boys are 16 and 18. If so what is on the ship that they would need it for? We are getting them a soda card. THANKS JERRY

Yes every one gets one. This card is your ID. You need it to get on and off the ship as well as to get into your cabin, in other words it is your cabin key.:cool:

Archived