Help with tours in Halifax

Hi Again, Thanks to everyone who wrote concerning my previous posts about Port S., Sydney and and Saint John. Now, I need immediate help, please, about Halifax. I have kinda gotten myself into a jam....I have contacted Jonathan Duru at yourcab tours and Bob MacLintock's Tour by Taxi and they can both do out tour the day we want to go. We will be on the Sea Princess in Halifax Oct. 13, yes Fri. 13th, so can't be too careful. I had inquired about a 6 hr tour, the usual tourist thing......Peggy's Cove, Chester, Mahone Bay and Lunenburg. When Bob answered he suggested a different tour.....Minas Basin/Blomidon, which I might add sounded great. Now I am totally confused. I didn't get an answer when I tried to call the yourcab tours, so that is when I called Bob and got him. I feel like I need to let them know as soon as possible....is it too early to book this tour? I would appreciate all of you giving me some input as soon as possible. I have spent every spare minute reading this sight. Thanks.....Pat from Texas

Hey Petter,

Those two areas are both beautiful in their own ways. It really depends on what you would like to see. Chester, Lunenburg, Peggy's Cove are the quaint fishing type areas with their own beauty from the sea and lovely homes. Blomidon area is on the Bay of Fundy which has the highest tides in the world, it is much more rural than the south shore but beautiful in its own right as well. Being from here (Halifax) I have my preference for the south shore (peggy's cove, lunenburg etc) but that is just it (a preference). If I may suggest, you could take a look at the following websites which may help you make your decision http://www.novascotia.com, http://www.holmpage.com/blomidon. The second website has several pictures of each area to give you an idea of what each area looks/feels like.

Good luck and have fun. It will be chilly that time of year so be sure to wear layers as it can either be cold or the day could start cold and warm up to tshirt weather. That is the time of year when we are not sure what we're going to get and it is also the most beautiful time of year here.

Cheers

Very Cold Canuck

I agree both are very nice and having lived in both can give a little advice.

Minas Basin area is more of a farming area with lotas of history. It was the focus of Longfellows Evangalin and the expulsion of the Acadians to New Orleans.

Shore shore fishing villages and sailng ships. History of pirates and rum running.

Either one would be great.

Very cold canuck and nosmothj,

Since you are both from the area, what would you advise about renting a car in Halifax? I know that getting the car is not a problem but is driving in the area a problem? Traffic? Confusing directions or roads?

I do not live in Halifax anymore. It is almost an island and all traffic is routed to one area. Halifax can be a Little hard to get around and parking is limited. If you want to get out of the city and drive to Peggy's Cove or Sambro area it is fairly easy.

When we have cruised, we generally rent a car. Getting around out side the city is not that difficult.

What area are you looking at going to? Or what interest do you have?

What area are you looking at going to? Or what interest do you have?

I imagine the weather will have something to do with what we do while we are there. I would like to get out of Halifax for at least part of the time and probably go to Peggy's Cove. I would like to try to do that early and maybe miss some of the crowds, if that is possible. My husband is into photography and wants to see some of the outlying areas. We also want to spend some time in Halifax since there is so much to see there. Will getting around in town be terribly difficult with a rental car? If so, we can always turn the rental car in early and see the town on foot or FRED.

If you are planning on a trip to Peggy's cove the road basically goes in a circle. You can enter and go towards Shad Bay or go down to Tantalion and drive. The trip around would take about an hour then include item for your stops.

One suggestion if your husband likes pictures the morning tends to be more foggy than later in the day, it is not unusual to be britte and sunny in Halifax and foggy on the coast. Watch as the ship pulls in, the foggy banks are generally just of Sambro at the mouth of the harbour.

Another area to stop at witch is about 10 or 15 minutes from Peggy's cove is the Swiss Air Memorial. It was a plane the went down in the late 90's.

Archived