Change of Plans

beachchick

Aloha everyone. Just wanted to say mahalo for all the help with our "land versus cruise" planning for the fall. Unfortunately, it's going to be "neither" this year. Due to ongoing and new health issues, plus home expenses, we'll be staying at home for the rest of the year and into next spring. We had thought we might at least be able to do a little trip at Christmas, but that's life. At least, I still have a tiny bit of pineapple in the freezer from last summer and one whole jar of guava-papaya jam. We'll survive. (I just had surgery, and DH and I could both use all the good wishes you can send our way.)

In any case, we've decided that for next year the answer needs to be "both" for a late spring/early summer Hawaii gala adventure (or at least as "gala" as we get anymore). We found a lovely place outside of Kona that's in our budget, as well as booking several days on Maui at our favorite inn. We're going to do the two island stops and then do a PoH cruise. We figure that we might not even get off the ship in Kona to take advantage of everyone being "out for the day" so we can lounge by the pool or what have you. For Maui, we'll rent a car for just one day and kind of "wing it" around the east side. After the cruise, we plan on a couple of nights at the Royal Hawaiian (one of our "wish list" items that we've always said we'd do "someday"). (Just an FYI, the lower floors in the original historical buildings are the cheapest...and there are some good deals already listed for the shoulder season this fall.)

We're checking cruise, air, and hotel prices, and plan on making the most of it. Life is short and all good days are to be treasured--we will make each of our island days a treasure...as always.:D

Mahalo again to all of you for your advice and just plain old friendliness. I'll still be online and hanging around because it's fun and the closest I'm going to get to Hawaii until next May or so.:rolleyes:

beachchick:cool:

Sorry to hear about your health problems and your cancellation. I will definitely be sending positive thoughts in your direction! Make sure you let us know when you do decide to come here in 2007!

Spleen

Beachchick, I really appreciate all your knowledge and advice to help in planning our Hawaii trip in Oct. We'll be thinking of you while we're there.

We booked this trip over a year in advance, so we know what it's like to wait till the next trip.

Have a speedy recovery and next April will be here before you know it!

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery. For me, like you, Hawaii would be the hardest cruise to have to cancel. It's our very favorite place. I use this board to get my Hawaii "fix" when not traveling there! Hope that will "do it" for you too as you look forward to your next trip. ALOHA!

Hi Beachchick,

Sorry to hear about your change of plans. I hope you have a speedy recovery. 2007 is right around the corner, you'll be cruising and back in Hawaii before you can say Aloha.

ileene

NCL Star 8/03

Celebrity Zenth 08/05

I'm smiling right now because it's so nice to read all of your good wishes and encouragement. I really appreciate it.

Cancelling any travel is tough, but Bucky3 you are sooo right about it being even harder when it's Hawaii. It's not the first trip we've had to cancel and won't be the last; we just hope for the best and make the most of the good days.

I'll definitely be getting my aloha fix here (and on a couple of fun Hawaii sites) until next year. Planning is part of the fun, so being able to work on a really fabulous trip next year does take a bit of the sting out of missing it this year.

It's just so hard sometimes, especially because we already had to cancel part of a trip earlier this year (our DD graduated from college, so we figured that if something had to "give" it had better be our "just for us" days in order to be at our best for "her" days). One thing that long-term illness teaches you is the truth about making the most of what you have and not taking things and people for granted. Maybe that's a little blessing in disguise.

In any case, we're luckier than many because we have friends and family who are there for us, and we do have good days to counter-act all the bad ones.

Mahalo to all and you bet we'll be looking forward to our next aloha!

beachchick

Sorry to hear about having to cancel/change your plans. Best wishes for improvement in health and those pesky house issues.

My husband tells me that what makes the trips a good deal for us is the enjoyment I get out of all the time I spend researching, planning, talking about, and fantasizing about the trip! So, at least you have that, and this is a great place to hang out for that purpose.

Aloha!

beachchick...so sorry to hear about all that is going on with you. But, I must commend you on your excellent attitude. My husband and I always say that the anticipation of a trip or cruise is the most fun. In fact, sometimes we find ourselves moaning about the trip being over long before the trip has actually begun!! How strange is that???!!!

Now the fun begins with planning for your future trip and it sounds like you are doing that with gusto. May the thoughts of gently rolling waves, swaying palm trees, and Hawaiian sunsets be with you always.

Mahalo to everyone for your wonderful, and positive, responses. Things are looking up a bit as my surgeon told me this week that everything is looking good on that front. So, even though that's only one of many challenges right now, it helps to hear good news for a change.

kapoho2: Believe me, my attitude isn't always so great. I definitely have my "personal pity party" days (and I do whine to friends and family from time to time). I just find that if I dwell every minute of every day on the things that are bad, then we aren't able to find joy in the minutes and days that are good. I will keep those images of Hawaii, along with the anticipation of next year's trip, in the back of my mind and remember them when I need a "pick me up" in the coming months.

beachchick

Hi beachchick,

I haven`t been around for quite awhile, so much going on this summer. To top it off both of us got some kind of stomach bug and after a week of that, it kind of took the wind out of our sails.

So I have just read that your plans have had to be changed, I am very sorry to hear that. Health issues with my hubby threw us into a tail spin last year so I definately sympathize with you. I think it may have been the reason my hubby chose to go on this cruise. He never really wanted to go to Hawaii before now. I on the other hand always dreamed of it.

I hope you recover quickly and find some pleasures to fill the time untill your trip next year. Hang in there girl!:)

Lady Slipper

Archived