Just Back - Pride of Hawaii 7/3 Cruise - Great Time

The coffee was surprisingly good. They have cappuccino machines in the cafe and you can use them for regular coffee as well. It was stronger getting it this way than the regular coffee urns and very robust. Unlike RCL, they provide half and half rather than non-dairy creamer.

Dino:

Our Road to Hana experience wasn't much to talk about at all (that's not to say that it couldn't have been, we just didnt allow it to be). To put it in perspective we have two young kids, we had just spent the first half of the day in South Mauii at the beach. Driving back to the ship we decided to drive "some" of the road to Hana to get a feel for it. I think they say the road starts after Pa'ai. We stopped in downtown Pa'ai (little downtown with shops and we got shave ice). We stopped at a beautiful lookout after that called something like Hokipu lookout. Amazing views up on a cliff overlooking windsurfers and we saw some people walking down the cliffs to swim in the very rough water. This was a good stop. Then we went on maybe another 10-15 miles. Experienced the tight turns at 20 miles an hour and one lane bridges. We didnt really stop anymore after that, just saw the views and turned around and came back. I'll admit it was not the true road to hana experience but we justed wanted to see some of it. We were sunburnt, sandy and were ready to head back to the ship. If I didnt have the kids and started early in the morning, I'd still love to take it all the way around the south part of the island. Maybe next time.

Glad you had fun. We will also be going with 2 kids so we'll see how it goes!

I was wodnering how difficult it was getting off the boat first thing in the morning? Did you try it? Were there lots of people and you had to wait?

Did they seem to really run on schedule? Arrive on time and then leave on time? I've had mixed experiences over the years and am wondering...

What did your kids really like besides the beach?

Thanks,

Jenn

California:

Very easy to get on and off, we were usually off first thing and got back mid afternoon most days. Never had more than 3 or 4 people in front of us getting off and all they do is swipe your card (dont need to bring birth certificates or anything else). There was Never a line. The only time this might be an issue on this cruise woudl be Kona where you have to get a tender ticket. It sounds like with tenders they had you wait in a lounge until your number was called which is better than everyone fighting for space. In our case since we were doing an excursion that day, Capt Zodiak, we meet in the theatre and they put us all on a tender together. No problems. I was on a RCL cruise where we tendered and we were trying to get off firsh thing and there must have been a couple hundred people jammed together in an elevator lobby for over an hour waiting to get off - miserable. Nothing at all like that on this cruise.

Kids - liked seeing the sights (waterfalls, the drives along the cliffs) the hikes we went on in addition to the beach days. they had never snorkeled before and they loved the Capt Zodiak trip. Most of all, even though they loved Hawaii, they really liked being back on the boat too. Whether they were in the pools, playing ping pong, shuffle board or going to the kids clubs

Cruise Leprechaun: Thanks so much for such a wonderful review. When doing this cruise, should I book on the "aft" or "port" side of the ship. Also, exactly what was the Capt. Zodiak adventure. Besides booking excursions from the ship do u know of any private excursions that are offered. My DH doesn't want to rent a car and I prefer not to go through the cruise line with so many people on an excursion. Looking forward to hearing from you. Please e-mail me at LRN376atyahoo.com. Lois

I too am also curious about a cabin on the port or starboard side of the ship. I read that the port side cabins have the best view for the Na Pali coastline. You can relax on your balcony rather than stand around on deck. Is the port side really the ideal side to see the best views of Na Pali?

Also you mentioned you only ate in the free restaurants. Other than the two main dining rooms & buffet are there some free speciality restaurants? I assumed thet all the speciality ones had a cover charge.

Thanks agin for the great & helpful comments!

Other than the two main dining rooms & buffet are there some free speciality restaurants? I assumed thet all the speciality ones had a cover charge.

Paniolos (TexMex) and the Italian restaurant are both free specialty restaurants.

Spleen

Archived