Ajaccio, Corsica Shore Excursions

DH and I are on the Nice to Athens October 14th sailing aboard Voyager. Can anyone tell me is Ajaccio within walking distance of the ship while in port? Haven't found any really interesting shore excursions and was thinking about just doing Ajaccio on our own, a little exploration of sorts. Any advice?

Try *************** for suggestions. I usually check on excursions with other lines who visit Ajaccio. Princess actually give costs. Pick the cruise then click on excursions. I do this with every port that I will visit, for a start. Then I research whatever local transports are available. All this after I decide on the attractions I want to see.

DH and I are on the Nice to Athens October 14th sailing aboard Voyager.

We're planning on doing the ship's "Walking Napoleon's Ajaccio" tour.

Have you planned anything for Sorrento? I'm arranging a private tour to Herculaneum and Positano since 1) we've been to Pompeii, 2) the only ship's tour that goes to Positano only goes there and is primarily aimed at a fancy lunch. The economy of scale means that if others are interested in joining our group (presently, my wife and I), it gets quite reasonable fast. What I'd planned was:

- depart Sorrento between 0900 and 0930 (Voyager is scheduled to dock at 0830)

- travel to Herculaneum (~ 1 hour)

- tour Herculaneum (~2 hours)

- travel to Positano (~ 1 hour)

- tour Positano & have lunch on our own (~ 2-1/2 to 3 hours)

- travel back to the port at Sorrento (~45 minutes), returning between 4:30 & 5:00 PM

If this interests you, reply here and we'll figure out how to exchange emails without informing the whole world (not worried about Cruise Critic folks...just the webbots that search for email addresses to spam!)

Thanks for the offer Scott. DH and I are reviewing all the shore excursions in the next couple of days. I am thinking Pompei for Sorrento as we've never been and I am looking forward to it. Thanks for the offer though on the Positano/Herculaneum trip, that sounds like fun too. We may do Ajaccio ourselves or do the Napoleon Walking tour also.

Hi Everyone:

I will also be on that cruise (Oct 14) and have booked a tour of Amalfi with a couple of others for Sorrento and then a private tour for Kusadasi as well. Have not booked anything as yet for Santorini, Corsica, or Sicily which I have heard are all easily done on your own. I would be open to sharing/joining a group on Santorini.

Best, Tina

Hubbie and I finally sat down last night and went through all the ship's offerings for shore excursions. We have been tossing around the idea of doing some of the excursions on our own vs. using the ship's tours. After reading through what seems like zillions of posts on this board for almost 18 months, we picked and chose the ship's tours that were very highly recommended (and of particular interest to us) as opposed to private tours. We have decided to do Ajaccio on our own. Seems like it's a good walking town, the first stop on the cruise and lends itself particularly well to going it alone. For Sorrento we are doing Pompei, on Sicily we are doing the Mt. Etna Trek and Exploration (sounds adventurous!!). We are doing The Glories of Ephesus in Turkey and the monastery, Oia and winery tour on Santorini. Of course I'm assuming we'll also have time on some of the shorter tours to spend in port just poking around no?

Also, we are doing two nights pre-cruise at Le Meridien in Monte Carlo and two nights post-cruise at Le Bretagne in Athens. I would be interested to hear from any of you and what your plans are for this cruise. I am 46, husband is 48, and never having cruised before, we are putting this board to good use by pouring over every post!

Archived