Trying to decide.Dawn or Spirit out of NYC Feb '07

popsec

We're trying to decide between the Dawn and the Spirit for a Feb '07 cruise out of NYC, 10 or 11 night. Anyone been on that cruise who can help us decide? What are the pros and cons of each ship? Thanks for any assistance!

Hi popsec,

There is a similar post already going that might help you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=381302

Wow, popsec, 4 cruises already this year - very impressive!

I see you are in Fair Haven, Vermont. Nice to see that another local person is on these boards! Maybe we will meet up on a cruise someday. I am hoping to cruise on the Dawn this coming winter.

Happy Cruising!

We are on the Dawn for the 4th Feb in a row. The first was out of Miami the rest from NYC. 11 days Feb 18 exotic southern great ports and a crazy roll call. Not sure you could go wrong with either ship. Sailing from NYC in the middle of winter is great.

Jim

UVM Alumni

341446515_2132006amSoL.jpg.5d3ea5719aa1e2e1db1b1d1e25d40f10.jpg

Hi popsec,

I see you are in Fair Haven, Vermont. Nice to see that another local person is on these boards! Maybe we will meet up on a cruise someday. I am hoping to cruise on the Dawn this coming winter.

Happy Cruising!

Hi fellow Vermonter! So, you must be planning to cruise out of NYC this winter? Why the Dawn over the Spirit? Do you drive to NYC? Stay overnight the night before? We usually drive in the same day but don't think we'd dare do that during the winter...

Both ships have been generally getting good reviews. While the Dawn is slightly larger and newer than the Spirit, the Spirit is as nice a ship as the Dawn as far as service and decor.

I would book the ship that has the best intinerary that week.

Jim

UVM Alumni

Wow, Jim aka shoreguy, a UVM Alumni! That's great to know. There are more and more of us Vermont-connected people showing up on these boards all the time! Pretty impressive for such a small state.

(By the way - I believe it was you who posted several helpful tips that I utilized on our last cruise - thanks for all the great ideas!) :D

Hi fellow Vermonter! So, you must be planning to cruise out of NYC this winter? Why the Dawn over the Spirit? Do you drive to NYC? Stay overnight the night before? We usually drive in the same day but don't think we'd dare do that during the winter...

Hi popsec,

Well, I am "hoping" to do a cruise on the Dawn out of NYC this winter. My husband cannot (yet) handle booking more than one cruise at a time. So, after our cruise in September, I hope we will then book an early 2007 cruise on the Dawn.

We were on the Spirit in March of this year. And, although we have enjoyed each ship we have cruised on, we are not likely to repeat a ship until we have cruised on others first.

We took a commuter train into NYC the morning of the cruise. In March we had spent a few days with some friends outside of Boston just before the cruise, and then drove to New Haven, CT; we parked the car at the train station and caught the next train into the city (they leave at least every hour), and took a taxi from Grand Central to the port. Very easy and inexpensive; would do it again without hesitation. (We were originally planning to drive to Poughkeepsie, NY to catch the commuter train into the city, but changed our plans because of the visit with friends outside of Boston. I have since taken the commuter train out of Poughkeepsie, NY on a visit to NYC a few weeks ago, and found it to be quite easy as well.) Incidentally, on our return train trip out of NYC to New Haven in March, there were fellow cruisers (with a baby) who had just returned from a cruise on the Dawn; they spoke very highly of their cruise.

We have not arrived in the city the night before any of our cruises thus far, and have enjoyed the experiences of getting to the ship the day of the cruise. If there was bad weather forecasted that might delay our driving time, we would probably decide to drive and stay overnight close to the train station the day before, and perhaps catch an earlier train into the city the morning of the cruise.

I would go for the itinerary and wow 4 cruises this year :eek: ??? you must really love it....;) certainly not hard to fall in love with, that's for sure !

It's an addiction.....and the only "cure" is to always have one booked :D

Archived