Xpedition to Galapagos planning

As part of my planning, prior to takeing this cruise next year, I have read most of the posts on this site related to the Xpedition. Several people have commented that you should book the 10 or 11 day trip and let Celebrity do all the planning. Further suggesting that it is very difficult to make your own arrangements on TAME, the only airline into the Galapagos from Equador. I have been considering booking the 7 day so that I can take advantage of Marriott points by making my own reservations at the JW Marrriott. Can someone explain to me what it is exactly that makes dealing with TAME yourself so difficult? What other pitfalls might there be making these arrangements on your own. Thanks

HH

HH, Last year (May 2005) when we booked our Xpedition trip, we could not book TAME airline tickets directly from the U.S. There was no way to book it over the internet and apparently they wouldn't take reservations from U.S. based travel agents. That was enough for me. However, I just checked the TAME airlines web site and it appears that you can book tickets on the internet now. That would be a big difference.

One thing that Celebrity does is get your boarding passes for you and check in your luggage. You NEVER stand in a TAME check-in line. You get your boarding passes in Quito in the Marriott Library before you leave for the airport. No hassle!!! On the way back you get your boarding passes from one of the Naturalists at the airport prior to going into the airport lounge. Again, no hassle!!! I won't say there were any hassles with people checking in with TAME directly because we never saw those lines.... But, this was so easy!!! My guess is that you could have your luggage handled by Celebrity at both ends with the 7 day cruise. In Quito just make sure they know which room to pick up your luggage from.

If only all cruises were run like Celebrity runs the Xpedition.... :rolleyes: Unfortunately, not even Celebrity runs their other cruises the way they run the Xpedition :cool:

Dave:)

Thanks to both for responses. I looked at the website (TAME) and it looks straight forward enough. If anyone on this board has actually booked TAME through the internet for this trip, I would appreciate hearing about your experience.

Isb48154, I am not too concerned about having the points credited to my program number. I was hoping to be able to use existing points to reduce the overall trip cost and possibly staying a few extra nights. There is about $1,800 difference between booking the 7 day cruise and the 10 night package with about $800 of it being the value of the flight to Baltra. So, for $1,000, you get a couple of meals, city and market tours and 3 nights lodging. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

HH

HH, I just booked the 10 day trip for Oct. 2007. Generally, I am a very independent traveler. This is one time I decided to leave the work to Celebrity. The US to Quito flights tend to arrive late at night. You are getting off a plane tired and at 12,000 feet. I've never been above 10,000 feet and I am not sure how my body will react. I decided that it would be better (at least for me) to have somebody else take care of all the details and just get to the hotel and get as much rest as I can. Also, with a limited amount of time in Quito, I figured Celebrity would do a better job than me of getting to as many of the key sights as possible. For whatever, it's worth, that was my thought process. As everyone who has taken this trip says, it is the experience of a lifetime, so whatever you decide, I am sure it will be!

G

We also let Celebrity do everything so I can't comment directly. I do remember reading on one of these threads (not sure which one. there are quite a few) someone posting that Celebrity told them they were "on their own" if they made separate air arrangements with TAME. I took that to mean getting on and off TAME with their bagage etc. You should make absolutely certain you could "tag on" to the Celebrity group going out to Baltra. Trying to do that on your own, especially if you don't speak Spanish, could be rather daunting. That $1000 (not a lot relative to the entire cost) gets you a lot more value than "three nights lodging" and a couple of tours. About the only time you are not accompanied by Celebrity ground staff is on the walk to and from the planes! Just my opinion, but it might be a false economy.

X offers wonderful service. They provide the transportation and baggage handling from all the airports and hotels. When you board their shuttles they provide bottled water in coolers. When they take you out on tour they also provide the bottled water. it's a class act you will surely appreciate.

I'd say take the 10 day tour... The 11th day isn't necessary, unless you want to stay around Quito or relax and take advantage of the great spa prices at the JW.

I've heard that TAME is often over-booked with the tours taking priority, so you may be bumped from the flight to go on the next, which may get you to the ship late... and the tours onboard Xpedition almost begin immediately on boarding. I know that happened when we went, and a lot of people got left behind, but any on the Celebrity tour had no problem.

I think to get the whole experience you should let them do all the work... they're SO organized.

• 3 months later...

Just a few weeks ago as we were booking our December 10 Xpedition Galapagos tour, we tried to do the same thing by booking the 7 day cruise and handling the extra elements ourselves. Christopher is fairly fluent in Spanish and did come away with the same information about the chances of being bumped on individual fares and so on. Tours do take priority still. And when we really compared total costs, we didn't think we'd be saving so much, especailly when considering all the wonderful comments we've read about the Celebrity/Xpedition service that starts the moment we hit Quito. We went ahead with the full 10 day package.

I am curious why all of you chose the Expedition over the other larger ships that tour the area? I am still feeling torn on who to book with, but I know I want a larger ship due to my motion sickness propensity. I just wondered if I would get a more personal feel from one that carried 30-50 ppl rather than 100. My only other cruise was to the western carribean on a huge 3000 person ship, so my experience is a little limited. Also my husband and I have done pretty well doinng vacations on our own with little assistance from organized tours or travel agents, so we don't want this trip to feel too impersonal. Thanks. Kelli

I am curious why all of you chose the Expedition over the other larger ships that tour the area? I am still feeling torn on who to book with, but I know I want a larger ship due to my motion sickness propensity. I just wondered if I would get a more personal feel from one that carried 30-50 ppl rather than 100. My only other cruise was to the western carribean on a huge 3000 person ship, so my experience is a little limited. Also my husband and I have done pretty well doinng vacations on our own with little assistance from organized tours or travel agents, so we don't want this trip to feel too impersonal. Thanks. Kelli

Archived