my dress came

TracersQQ

I ordered a dress from Penney's outlet, last week. I really debated about it but I couldn't beat the price. It came, today, and it's just allright, I'm not overly excited about it, but it is certainly worth the $30 I spent on it. I ordered the black, I really liked the lime green, but since I couldn't try it on, I thought I better stick to black. I figure with glitzy jewelry it'll look better, but I'm not sure about shoes, yet. I'm pretty sure I'll wear silver shoes and I think they should be strappy, with a not too high of a heal (do to a bad knee), what do think? I have a pair of silver pumps that I wore in a wedding, a couple of years ago, I don't remember exactly what they look like, I should go dig them out, but I really don't think pumps will look right. let me know what you all think. Here's the dress, remember it's black.

0900631b80e4f3baL.jpg

0900631b80c451b2L.jpg

0900631b80c451acM.jpg

That dress is very elegant. The way it is cut and flows looks great. I would do a silver strappy heel or a black strappy heel that has some silver stones/beads on them ....Have Fun, Traci (wow someone else spells it with a " I " and also from Pa ) :)

I ordered a dress from Penney's outlet, last week. I really debated about it but I couldn't beat the price. It came, today, and it's just allright, I'm not overly excited about it, but it is certainly worth the $30 I spent on it.

I hope you don't mine me jumping in with some unsolicited fashion advice.......

Why keep a so-so dress that doesn't excite you? Unless you're in a bind and need some quick and really have nothing else....but that's a different issue. (we've all been there)

I used to do the same thing when I was in my 20's and learned the hard way that a piece of clothing that doesn't make us feel great (especially eveningwear) is never a bargain.

The dress is not worth $30. It's not even worth $5. if you don't feel fabulous and special in it.

My opinion is return the dress and look for something that makes you feel and look wonderful. Obviously, I'm not suggesting you spend an amount that's not comfortable for you, but you should be able to look at your new dress and think "What a great dress!" not "What a great price".

Just my $.02

Jane

I hope you don't mine me jumping in with some unsolicited fashion advice.......

Why keep a so-so dress that doesn't excite you? Unless you're in a bind and need some quick and really have nothing else....but that's a different issue. (we've all been there)

I used to do the same thing when I was in my 20's and learned the hard way that a piece of clothing that doesn't make us feel great (especially eveningwear) is never a bargain.

The dress is not worth $30. It's not even worth $5. if you don't feel fabulous and special in it.

My opinion is return the dress and look for something that makes you feel and look wonderful. Obviously, I'm not suggesting you spend an amount that's not comfortable for you, but you should be able to look at your new dress and think "What a great dress!" not "What a great price".

Just my $.02

Jane

Hi,

I was wondering the same thing myself. I am willing to "pay" for something that makes me feel spectacular.... even better if the item is on sale.

However,no item of clothing is worth money that I don'tfeel great in.

I only buy pieces that make me feel wonderful, no ,matter what the occasion is.... let alone for a special event!

I suggest, also, that you return the item and use the money toward something that knocks your socks off! ( Or somones elses;) )

Maybe you will still be able to find a bargain AND feel great in it.

Good luck to you.

I have wasted countless $$ on bargins, when I didn't feel fabulous in them, and really didn't enjoy wearing it, and never wore it again. I'd rather spend a little more, and wear it over & over than get a bargin that sits in the back of my closet....:)

I like the dress, but I also agree with the philosophy that if you don't love it, don't keep it. This is a dress-up night on a cruise. You want to feel great in what you wear! It will make the event much more fun also.

From your first post, it looks like you have 5 months before your cruise (how does one set up the timeline...different subject) So, take some time, look on Ebay, keep your eyes out for a great dress that is hopefully a great price also.

Amy in San Diego

I agree that its only a bargain if you are going to wear it and love wearing it.

Now I would love to have that dress available as my "I can't decide what to wear tonight dress and I've only got 30m to dress". It's gorgeous and would go alot of places. I just bought my version of this dress, it's a little shorter without the pretty back has the same flaring at the bottom and I am wishy washy about it but I know it's not my formal, it's just the ole reliable.

If the fit is good, and you like the lime green, I think get the green or a color. Now that would be a bargain to have a hot fresh color that makes you happy!

Thanks for the input, everyone. I tried the dress on, today, in the daylight, at work, with the proper undergarments. Now I love the dress. I never didn't like it, I knew that it was my style, I just had my heart set on something more "flashy". I always knew that I would wear the dress, but I just thought that I would wear it for the second formal night, instead of the first. It is very flattering, on me, I love the way it looks. It's a perfect fit, too. I think once I get some glitzy jewelry it will be perfect. I still am looking for another dress - it's just in 4 months, I haven't been able to find anything that I really liked. I'm hoping the fall lines will have something I like. I guess it's one of those dresses that look so - so, but you try it anyways and once you put it on you find out it's perfect. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm a little late chiming in here, but I have to agree with the other posters not to keep a dress you don't absolutely love. Or, for that matter, any other piece of clothing. It's become my shopping mantra now, when I'm in the dressing room, I think "Do I love it?", if not, it goes back on the hanger.

I've gotten some absolutely great bargains on formal dresses, all of them purchased at times when I didn't need a formal dress or outfit. I'll just go through the sale racks every time I'm shopping and if I find a bargain and love it, it goes home with me. If I find nothing, it's not a problem for me, I didn't need it anyway. We cruise at least once a year, so I know I'll wear it sometime soon. Most of the dresses/outfits I've gotten have cost less than $25. All of them I would wear again, but I usually don't. At the price I've paid for them, I don't mind only wearing them once or twice.

Never settle for an article of clothing you don't love and never buy a piece of clothing that needs much alteration.

It's become my shopping mantra now, when I'm in the dressing room, I think "Do I love it?", if not, it goes back on the hanger.

Agree! My mantra is "When it doubt, do without".

.......and never buy a piece of clothing that needs much alteration.

On that one we won't agree. Sometimes some serious alterations take something from "nice" to "fantastic".

I agree with Jane re: alterations. If you have a really good alterations person (not your local dry cleaner hem/pants shorten person), then give it a try. A really skilled alterations person will be honest and tell you that the garment will lose its original intent if altered too much, or ... whatever. I bought a garment at Nordstrom that I absolutely loved, but it was way too big and I thought "oh darn", but the saleslady called alterations and she showed me how it would look altered - and voila - I loved it, and still have it. As a matter of fact, I am now looking for a new formal night garment b/c every formal pix I have of us is the same dress and my friends are beginning to ask me if I have another dress!!!!:D And I don't:eek:

So I have been spending a lot of time shopping ebay.

I have the same dress in Black for my upcoming cruise in January, I first got it in the lilac color it looked awful but I changed to the black and I love it. I love the way it makes me feel wearing it, makes me feel sassy and sexy. I will be wearing it on our first formal night my dh will be in a tux with the white dinner jacket. I got some silver jewelry pearl & rinestone necklace and earings that match. I have black sling back shoes already so I will wear them.

Christine

Archived