Recent cruisers to Cozumel

DonnaD

Just read a post by PB Tom, with link stating the dolphin discovery had been closed till some fee/tax situation was cleared up. The link was dated last week. Has anyone been there recently and do they know if dolphin discovery is open? We leave at 4a.m and I am broken hearted to think our excursion might be cancelled. WE are booked to swim with the dolphins Thursday and this is a dream of a lifetime for my son and I. Any late night answers will be greatly appreciated.

This is the phone # for CozumelInsider.com, who I booked our excursions with. I doubt anyone will be there, but give it a shot.

52-987-869-0504

Sherri is the owner, I believe. Jacqueline is the person with whom I have dealt, who I must say, was very willing to assist.

Good Luck!

Dolphin Discovery's # for questions :1.800.417.1736

OR: 00.52.998.849.4757

These #'s are listed for reservations, but maybe someone can be of assistance there:

Toll-free from North America 1.800.293.9698

Toll-free from U.K. 0.800.032.5054

All other countries 00.52.998.849.4758 or 4751

Hi Donna,

we did the dolphin swim two days ago. (go for the money for the royal, it is worth it!) Also, buy the video, it is pricey ($50) but it is worth every penny especially if you have more than one person. Hubby and our three girls went and had a blast.

Things may have changed since Wednesday, but they didn't seem to be having problems.

Have fun

Thank you all so much for answering. We leave at 4a.m. and no one is answering phones right now in Mexico, well at least at these numbers. TCPBGT it is extremely comforting to know you did the swim two days ago!!! We are booked for the Royal Swim. I checked with shoretrips whom we had booked with, and they did not know of the article, but said they would check in the a.m. I'll call them enroute to Tampa. The article was dated the week up to 6/26 so I am hoping after hearing from you that they resolved their fees. Anyway, y'all made it more likely that I'll get SOME sleep tonight. Thanks muchly.

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/CozumelNews.htm

Here is a link to the article. Scoll half way down the page to see about the Dolphin swim in Chankanabb Park. The paper is dated for June 26th. Let us know when you get back how you made out.

Here is what it says.

The environmental protection unit known as PROFEPA closed five dive shops located in Chankanaab Park as well as Dolphin Discovery. The businesses were shut down because they were not charging clients a use fee for the protected area and didn't have operation permits from the national commission of protected natural areas.

PROFEPA delegate Rafael Muñoz Berzunza explained that irregularities were detected about a month-and-a-half ago and the businesses were told to get themselves in order. However, to date, not one of them had complied.

The suspension will be lifted when the service providers have the corresponding permits and can prove that they are charging clients a users fee.

From the good folks at Cozumel Insdier.com

Hi Dan,

I just spoke with the folks at Dolphin Discovery and I believe there was a "misunderstanding" They said that the dive shops located inside Chankanaab Park were closed for about a week while they got some things corrected (don't know about the details ~ so I don't want to speculate to add fuel to the fire) They are now operational. However, Dolphin Discovery was at no time shut down, nor where their activities suspended, so you and your wife and all that you speak of on the boards can put their minds at ease.

Just as in the states, the news is reported and then each reporter may interpret the facts a bit differently. Thanks for letting me know and if I get a chance I'll go out to the boards as well.

Jacqueline & Sherri

So rest easy, folks. Too bad we couldn't get ahold of Donna before she left...

"...the dive shops located inside Chankanaab Park were closed for about a week while they got some things corrected (don't know about the details ~ so I don't want to speculate to add fuel to the fire) They are now operational."

No worries - everything is now open and operational

Archived