Tendering in GC Hazardous?

Bwanna

I've read on other posts that tendering at this port can be less than ideal.... we're on the Caribbean Princess in August. Any negative experiences or are the posters just a little bit too impatient?

The tenders are very big and can carry many passengers to and from the Island, the problem comes when (and i have no idea why) when you want to get back on the ship, especially around lunch time or within 2 hours of sailing, the lines become backed up and very long, sometimes the wait is 1 1/2 hours to board and it gets very hot standing in that long line.

We have found that if you reboard right after the lunch hour or wait until the very last second, the lines are much shorter. As for a negative experience, not really, just time consuming.

On our last stop at GC, the water was very rough. We were delayed in getting on the tenders to head for shore. Then after they loaded a tender or two, they would have to wait until the waves settled down a little before they would call the next group. I have to say that while we were waiting to board our tender, I almost changed my mind. They would let a couple people board, with help, and then stop. The tender slammed into the ship very, very hard, then they would say go, go, go! All the while holding on to you to help you on! It was a bit scarey. Getting off the tender after it came back to the ship was worse. I had stood up...it was almost time for me to go...boyfriend had also stood up. When the tender slammed into the ship...he slammed into my arm! Didn't break it, but man, did it hurt!

All of the other times that we visited this port, the water was calm. Hopefully in August, it will be calm also.

As far as the crowds....depends on how many ships are in port that day.

Not sure how many were in port on our last trip. We decided to go to the line about an hour and a half before the last tender. The lines were horrendous!!!!!(Is that a word?) We were in line in that scorching sun for over an hour!

We had no problem either way on 7/6 this year. It had been storming with lightening when we first got there. We had an excursion booked at 10am and the capers said for us to tender by 9:15. We walked down to 0 deck, got on the tender and were transported to the island. We headed back 1 hour before ship's sailing (1/2 hour before "last tender") and again had no problem getting back on the Conquest.

If you are prone to motion sickness remember to take your dramimine/bonine BEFORE tendering. Several people felt ill on that short ride to the island and once you are sick--the medicine does not work as well/takes A LONG time to work.

Have fun!!

We were there last tuesday and had no problem at all... the line was about a 1/2 hr long when we were getting back on the ship in the afternoon (about 2pm). Trip took about 10 maybe 15 min long from the shore to boat! have fun, swim with some stingrays and dont worry about the tender!:cool:

Here is a link to a a satellite picture, centered on the Georgetown harbor, where the tenders come in.

http://www.google.com/maphp?hl=en&q=grand+cayman&ie=UTF8&ll=19.293423,-81.383554&spn=0.004749,0.010128&t=k&*****=1

As you can see, this is not what one would call a 'protected harbor'. Rather is is very much an open roadstead. The cruise ships will be anchored or simply loitering just west of the harbor area. If the wind and seas are out of the west...it is easy to see that tendering can become a problem. While the ship can turn to "provide a lee", that is a protected side. The harbor can not.... Getting on and off

There is an alternate tender landing on the south side of the island which may be usable when the downtown site is not conducive. On the day the sat' snapped the pic' it would appear it was in use: http://www.google.com/maphp?hl=en&q=grand+cayman&ie=UTF8&t=k&*****=1&ll=19.264318,-81.318226&spn=0.038001,0.081024

Unfortunately, I believe difficult conditions can be experienced for two reasons:

1) Look around these posts...how to passengers react when the port is canx'd due to poor conditions? The lines REALLY REALLY REALLY try to make the ports and sometimes that may mean pushing the envelope with tender boarding.

2) What happens if everyone gets ashore, and then conditions begin to deteriorate? We gotta get 'em back on board.....

Thanks for the perspective. We live within earshot of a foghorn on a rugged stretch of the Calif coast and I understand waiting for the correct time between sets to make a move on a boat. Just wondering what all the fuss was about.... our kids are used to going down in the troughs between big sets and seeing nothing but sea.... no problem mon!

• 1 month later...

It can be. Last year when we were there, the sea was relatively calm when boarding the tenders in the am and tendering went well. However, the waves by mid afternoon had really increased and it was difficult at times getting people back on to the ship. The tender boats were really being bounced up and down by the waves and the boats had a really hard time holding close to the ship.

It can be. Last year when we were there, the sea was relatively calm when boarding the tenders in the am and tendering went well. However, the waves by mid afternoon had really increased and it was difficult at times getting people back on to the ship. The tender boats were really being bounced up and down by the waves and the boats had a really hard time holding close to the ship.

We had a very similar experience last year tendering from

Princess Cays back to ship. Storm blew up en route to ship & Captain would not give tender clearence to approach the ship. We were tossed to and fro out at sea for 30 min which felt like hours. Waves were so high the windows had be closed and then it got very hot. Several passengers got sick. Very scary...didn't feel the tender could handle the rough seas.

is there any chance you can miss the cruise ship while you are waiting in line for the tender or will the cruise ship wait for you??

No, the ship will not leave if there are people waiting for tenders.

Archived