King Salmon for dinner tonight.....caught off the coast of Icy Strait!

Boo's Mom

Well, dinner tonight was delicious King Salmon...grilled in my backyard.....using a special Tlinget recipe (it's a secret)....and was it ever the BEST tasting fish I have ever had!!

My 8 year old caught the 25 lb King Salmon on June 15th.....@ Icy Strait Point.....on a fishing boat that we were assigned thru our Celebrity Cruiseline Saltwater Salmon Fishing Excursion.

The fish was processed and shipped home...frozen...for a total of approximately $55.00.

Now, this is a souvenir!! :D

Boo's Mom, we just fished in Icy Straight Point with a private charter http://www.g-wind.com on 6/30. My husband caught a King Salmon also. But your daughter beat him out. His was 20 lbs. I caught a Silver Salmon that was about 10 lbs. But I caught a 45 lb. Halibut also. We shipped some of both home that should arrive tomorrow and can't wait to start cooking. We too brought home a recipe from the Captain of our boats wife and can't wait to try it.

Twocruisers723.....

My husband purchased a set of 3 boards in a barbecue shop. The boards are a one time use each. You soak the board in water for about an hour. Then, you put the board on your grill...put the fish on it...and leave it. It slowly cooks ..... you don't have to turn it.... smells awesome.... and then you throw the board away.

It did a great job. We have used them twice in the past week. Very even cooking.

They sell for about $3.00 each.

I've heard the "wild " salmon taste better than the (bright pink or red) salmon we have in the lower 48. Is this true? I'm not real crazy about the salmon I've bought in the stores or ordered out .

Wendy

Boo's Mom, We had some of our Halibut for dinner tonight. Yummy! We cooked one batch the way our captain's wife recommended. We dipped it in flour, then dipped it in egg then we rolled it in finely crushed Cheez-Its and fried it in vegetable oil in a frying pan. I thought it was really good and will make it again that way. Our kids weren't home tonight so I can't wait to make it that way for them. My husband is back on his low carb diet. So he crushed up fried pork rinds mixed with salt & cajun spice, dipped the fish in egg and rolled it in the pork rind mixture and fried it in the vegetable oil. They both made a good breading. And the fish itself was very fresh and tasty considering we caught it a week ago today and had it shipped Fed Ex.

We did purchase some Salmon Jerkey in Ketchikan. But it didn't make it home with us. My husband ate it while we were walking around town. I did make it home with some Salmon dog treats for our dog that we bought in Skagway. We gave him some for the first time tonight. He was a little leary at first. But he ate several of them. So I guess they weren't too bad. We gave him a piece of the Cheez-It Halibut. He stood by the door with it in his mouth wanting outside. I think he may have buried it. It will probably be Halibut Jerky by tomorrow when he digs it up.

We grill salmon on a cedar plank board all the time - yummy flavor. You can buy them already cut, but the cheapest way is to go to Home Depot or a store like that, buy a 2x4 or 1x4 cedar board and either have it cut or cut it yourself into about 18 in. pieces. You need to soak the board overnight in water so it won't burn when you cook the salmon on it. You season the salmon as you normally would, but the steamy cedar board will also flavor the salmon. Give it a try.

Archived