First solo cruise is a long one

aprildream

I just booked my first solo cruise on a 19 day transatlantic from Houston to Dover in April 2007. I am a widow and have only cruised once with daughter. I am very excited but am a little nervous about tours and eating alone. Any solo cruisers 55+ ? I need moral support and any helpful hints.

Hi Aprildream :)

I'm a widow as well, and taking my 1st Cruise in Sept. (solo)

After reading the many threads on Solo Cruising, I must say I do think we've made a good decision on getting on with it :). The encouragement of the many posts have lifted alot of my sometimes nervous thoughts.

You're going to love solo cruising. I'm in my early 50's and have cruised solo since my late 30's and it's completely addicting. I've done 16 cruises as a solo, with the longest being 35 days---Hong Kong to Dubai. You're going to have lots of sea days, so I hope you're looking forward to participating in lots of activities, or else you can become bored. Go to the trivia games, lectures, take a class in computers or wine tasting or any one of the other multiple activities. Make sure you are assigned to a large table for dinner. That way, you're meeting people on the very first night. I have four cruises booked between now and next May, with the longest one being an 18 day crossing from LA to Hong Kong next March. I'm so looking forward to all those sea days.

Have a wonderful cruise.

I suspect that you are going to have a wonderful cruise! As was stated above, take part in activities, try to be seated at a large table for dinner and be open to meeting new people and trying new things. Every day at breakfast and lunch in the Lido I made sure I joined a different table in order to meet and speak with different people... I met some really interesting people and made some good friends. Because I was travelling by myself I chose to go on the ship's shore excursions... it seemed to be a safer option. Although it is not something I'm usually comfortable with, I made a point of making the first move in introducing myself, etc. I really felt out of my element at first, but by the end of my first 20 day cruise, I was really proud of myself for stepping outside of my comfort zone.

It may be a bit hard at first being by yourself, but I'm sure you'll have such a great time.

Hi Aprildream :)

I'm a widow as well, and taking my 1st Cruise in Sept. (solo)

After reading the many threads on Solo Cruising, I must say I do think we've made a good decision on getting on with it :). The encouragement of the many posts have lifted alot of my sometimes nervous thoughts.

what cruise are you going to be on? what ever ship and itinerary you have choosen you are going to have a wonderful time. get involved in the activities or just relax on your own. it is going to be a great time for you. all of my cruises are solo. i love them and plan on having many more.

all of you have a great time.

Musicmansmom, I'm bkd on the Coral Princess Cruise and Land Tour from Vancouver -Whittier - Fairbanks. Also bkd 2 shore excursions through Princess.

Kitty9 and Traveller booking a table for 8 was one of my first requests :) .

Meeting new people has not been a difficulty for me, and think the apprehensions/nervousness will be short lived as I make myself at home with Princess.

Being in touch via the internet with this excellent site, and reading all the info provided by experienced cruisers has definitely been helpful in so many areas of becoming a 'Cruiser'. Thanks :)

cayjay, that will be a fabulous cruise for you. you are going to love alaska and the land tour. are you doing the land tour first and then sailing to vancouver. this is the best of both worlds. i know you are going to comfortable on the ship and have a wonderful time. :)

I have been sailing solo since 1979 and I love it. You will meet so many nice people at meals and on deck.

In 1979, I booked my first solo cruise for 18 days thru the Panama Canal. When I got to my cabin and put down my purse, I looked around and thought, "Oh my god, what have I done? I don't know anybody!" A bit of a panic attack there.

But I went to dinner at a table of 8 and met the most marvelous tablemates. We always said that we had the "best" table in the dining room. And it went on from there, meeting the rest of the pax. I agree that using the Daily Programme for trivia and other activities will also quickly expand your horizons.

It's hard to get onboard alone, it's hard to go to the dining room that first time, but I am living proof that you will have a wonderful time and be keen to book your next solo cruise.

Happy sails!

Ruby

• 2 weeks later...
I just booked my first solo cruise on a 19 day transatlantic from Houston to Dover in April 2007. I am a widow and have only cruised once with daughter. I am very excited but am a little nervous about tours and eating alone. Any solo cruisers 55+ ? I need moral support and any helpful hints.

Nothing to be nervous about at all. You're gonna love it.

The longer the cruise, the more other solo travelers you'll meet.

Often the cruise director's staff will host special events just for the single and solo travelers on longer cruises.

I did a 30-day cruise this past January to Hawaii and the South Pacific. I was on as a solo. However, I was never alone unless I wanted to be. I met up with a bunch of cruise critics from my roll call (join the roll call for your sailing) and ate with a couple of them in the dining room every night. I participated in a lot of onboard stuff ... Amsterdam (HAL) Survivor, Great Pretenders Show, etc. I toured in just about every port, doing mostly HAL shore excursions where I was part of a larger group. All in all, if anything ... the cruise was too "dammed" short. I loved every minute of it and hated to get off the boat at the end.

Longer cruises are perfect for solos and you will find that you will quickly develop an onboard routine that suits your personality. Cruising solo is really the best of both worlds. You can do whatever you want to do ... as little or as much ... without having to worry about your traveling companion's needs and wants.

When I originally took this 30-day cruise, I figured it would be a "once in a lifetime" experience. Now, my only goal is to work hard and save the money up for the next one. I'll be doing an 18-day translantic on HAL next April, followed by two days on land (Venice and London) and then another five days sailing the QE2 back to New York.

I only wish I could do even longer cruises, but sadly, 30 days is about my maximum limit. I am employed full-time. But, those long cruises ... they are my favorite kind!

Blue skies ...

--rita

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cajay. I'm in my early 50's and a widow too. After my husband passed the doctor told me I needed a vacation of at least 2 weeks. I use a scooter to get around so I needed to find a vacation that I could manage. a friend of the family said that since my husband and I were suppose to go on a cruise (cancelled due to his passing) why not go on one anyway. He told me to go back to the agent we were using and see if they have another group forming for later that year. They did have one the Panama Canal, 16 day cruise on board the Dawn Princess. I book a H/C inside room. Although I booked with the group I could do whatever I wanted. Since it was my first time and single I booked all tours with the ship. I had a very good time.

I now have five more cruises booked. All but one are for me alone. The one this Oct is for my daughter's wedding.

Do join in the fun. Most cruise lines have a single meet and greet in which the staff help you to meet others the first night (it will be in the newsletter you received in your room). Always go for large table and if you don't like your company that first night request a differt table. I have only had to move once when they put my with a family group (same last name so they though we were related:eek: , not). The next table I was at had 4 widows at it. We became friends and went on a tour together since we all wanted this one tour.

Have fun.

Hi all, I too am a solo cruiser and widow not yet 50.

I am going on my second cruise this year in October, was orig sched for Sept (the week of birthday) but had to change since this year my brother and family are going as well.

I asked for late seating and also asked my vacation planner to see if he could arrange for a large table for me with other solo cruisers. Yes I love my brother and his family, but need some me time this year. They understand perfectly.

My family and have things planned but they will do the kid things and I am just not up to that this year.

• 3 weeks later...

when you start cruising. I took my first cruise solo to Alaska too, after wanting to cruise since the original Love Boat aired LOL. My most recent cruise (much too long ago) was solo and was for 17 days. One of the most memorable trips ever !

The comment I heard the most, when folks on the ship found out that I was cruising by myself, is "I'd never be brave enough to do that." Of course they and you are. If you can shop and cook for 1, if you can get up in the morning alone, if you can watch TV by yourself.... you CAN enjoy cruising solo.

I had glorious experiences, have met some fascinating people and loved every minute of cruising. Ask any questions about the things that make you nervous. Anticipate the thrill of having someone cater to your whims. Find the roll call board on Cruise Critic for your sailing and have a GREAT cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived